LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Okay, after many more tests and attempts I believe I've hit upon how to get a stable connection everytime! Here we go:

BTW, this is on a Mac but most of the things should be the same for PC.

1. Create ad hoc network. (or leave on your standard wifi router network if you so choose)
2. Make sure iPad is connected to that network in prefs.
3. Start LiveControl.
4. In LiveControl, press GetIP in Configure window.
5. Click on the address that shows up and the IP address will automatically change in the Local IP Address dialog box.
6. Close little Select IP Address window.
7. Select 'Using an iPad' in LiveControl configure window
8. Press Save Configuration.

9. Start OSC app on iPad.
10. Press your network name under the network dialog area.
11. Take note of the Local IP address listed there.
12. The Local IP address number from the iPad must be entered into the Remote IP address dialog box in LiveControl.
13. Press Save Configuration.
14. On the iPad, select LiveControl under the found hosts dialog area.
15. On the iPad, select TouchOSC black button at the top, then the Done button to get you to the LiveControl interface.

16.Back over to the LiveControl on your computer, select Enable Router.
17. Save Config and go to the Router page.
18. Select your preferred driver. Press Start Router.

19. Open Ableton Live.
20. Make sure that LiveControl is selected as a Control Surface, and that your selected MIDI port has the TRACK set to on. Leave Sync and Remote off.
21. On a MIDI track, set your MIDI from to your chosen port and arm your track.

22. FEEL THE MAGIC, BABY!

I've followed these exact steps 6 different times, and it worked perfectly each time. Several times I would shut my machine down and start a new network - just to be thorough.

Connection via OSC and virtual MIDI ports into Live has always been a VERY idiosyncratic pain in the ass, and this is no different here. :lol: There seems to always be an exact order to things that must be followed or else havoc will ensue. :P

Also, Ableton Live is LAST thing that should be started up. ST8's Router instructions on his website shows a Live prefs window under step 5 - indicating that Live should have been started up by that point. Every time I tried that method - where Live is started up earlier - things would NOT work properly.

There are probably steps listed above that are unnecessary and redundant; such as all the Save Configs. But hey, it works. :)

Sometimes your iPad may return an IP address of 127.0.0.1 or the like. This is bogus. Exit out of the OSC app, then re-enter. A proper device IP should show up then.

I would also suggest that when you're all finished with your set / session, go back into the LiveControl app on your computer and stop the router. Deselect Using an iPad and Enable router and then SAVE config. I've found that not doing this leads to wonky behavior when firing up again. Best to start fresh.

Well, again a big thanks to ST8 (and thanks for the offer of IM). I'll continue testing later today and hopefully find success again.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:25 am

Put it through a long practice set today, and it crashed/lost connection/froze up about 15min into it.

How can I help you with bug reports and such?

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:31 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Put it through a long practice set today, and it crashed/lost connection/froze up about 15min into it.

How can I help you with bug reports and such?
What happened exactly? Stopped communicating with live or stopped sending midi?

You can try ticking "enable debugging", then start the log server, then start live. You should get a load of output in the debug window, if it contains errors you can email it to me.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Sounds good.

I went to arm a MIDI track to lay down some drums. When I clicked on the clip to start recording, all track names and such disappeared from the OSC screen. Navigation was lost, etc.

When this happens, of course, you've got to shut everything down and restart LiveControl, Live, OSC. Yikes! lol.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:23 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Sounds good.

I went to arm a MIDI track to lay down some drums. When I clicked on the clip to start recording, all track names and such disappeared from the OSC screen. Navigation was lost, etc.

When this happens, of course, you've got to shut everything down and restart LiveControl, Live, OSC. Yikes! lol.
sounds like there may have been an error, the debug server should catch that. if it wasnt a real error then often deselecting and reselecting the midi remote script may get things going again :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Man, I'm late to the party, but this looks awesome! The sequencer functionality alone looks great. Who needs a sequencer plug-in or max device when you can input right in the clip window anyways... I especially like how the zoom level determines the note length, like with idrum. It's so fast to create little rolls then.

I have questions for you (or anyone) - Is it possible to extend a note length without zooming in? Can you cahnge the loop length? Does erase work like in pencil mode (Hit it again and it erases)? And swiping across a note adds many in a row like with the draw tool?

After seeing Air Display and this, I'm now sold on the ipad. 8O
Professional Shark Jumper.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh and another thing, I watched a video with a guy hitting ipad drum pads in Logic and I could swear it was somehow velocity sensitive! He was doing a roll and building the volume by just hitting the pads on the ipad. Is this possible? Here's the video: http://pixil.info/downloads/making-music-with-ipad/

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:02 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Man, I'm late to the party, but this looks awesome! The sequencer functionality alone looks great. Who needs a sequencer plug-in or max device when you can input right in the clip window anyways... I especially like how the zoom level determines the note length, like with idrum. It's so fast to create little rolls then.

I have questions for you (or anyone) - Is it possible to extend a note length without zooming in? Can you cahnge the loop length? Does erase work like in pencil mode (Hit it again and it erases)? And swiping across a note adds many in a row like with the draw tool?

Note length is based on the zoom at the moment, no manual control, could easily add a slider or something though. Yes its like pencil mode, hit the step again and it'll disappear. Swiping works too.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Oh and another thing, I watched a video with a guy hitting ipad drum pads in Logic and I could swear it was somehow velocity sensitive! He was doing a roll and building the volume by just hitting the pads on the ipad. Is this possible? Here's the video: http://pixil.info/downloads/making-music-with-ipad/
hes got a slider that controls the velocity

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 pm

ST8 wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Man, I'm late to the party, but this looks awesome! The sequencer functionality alone looks great. Who needs a sequencer plug-in or max device when you can input right in the clip window anyways... I especially like how the zoom level determines the note length, like with idrum. It's so fast to create little rolls then.

Note length is based on the zoom at the moment, no manual control, could easily add a slider or something though.
Cool man. You know what, a slider to increase note length would be amazing. That would let you add glides very quickly to legato instrument sequences or just put a sustaining note in without having to zoom out and back. Would be seriously slick functionality!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:08 am

Continuing on with testing....

Ran through another long testing set today. No freezes/crashes, but what I did notice is about 30min into the set the response on all faders and buttons became extremely slow. Like around 2 to 3 seconds slow. 8O I'd go to move the scene bar to the left or right and, while the change was instantaneous on my laptop screen, the change on the iPad/TouchOSC was slow.

Oddly enough, the drums and keys weren't affected at all by this lag. They continued to provide excellent response time.

Thoughts?

ST8

Post by ST8 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:35 am

Does that happen with the router turned off (using livecontrol normally) as well?

marekhunhap

Post by marekhunhap » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:03 am

Hi,
LiveControl is very well but it would be great if in the session view we had volume control and especially 8 tracks + master track.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 am

marekhunhap wrote:Hi,
LiveControl is very well but it would be great if in the session view we had volume control and especially 8 tracks + master track.
I would love 8 tracks as well

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 pm

ST8 wrote:Does that happen with the router turned off (using livecontrol normally) as well?

Not that I've noticed. I'll try some long tests again today with and without.

stonee

Post by stonee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm in the same boat as a couple others here.

I have the red box, and all the setting seem correct, yet live isn't responding to anything.

so close but so far :(

k, so now i can recive information from live, the clips are showing up in the slots on my ipod, but i still have no control over them.