Novation fail.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marconk

Novation fail.

Post by marconk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:06 pm

http://www.novationmusic.com/

Fail.
6 cue points and loop control.
Cant wait for the price.

myxomat0515

Re: Novation fail.

Post by myxomat0515 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Lame.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:21 pm

It's cool that it utilizes space well. It fits onto valuable real estate that we couldn't even consider real estate before.

The only fail here is your predictable thread.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
:lol:

A mini-hardware style sampler/looper/dicer would be pretty dope. I at least give them the credit for helping wish of such a device...Roland? SP-111?

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm

they could have done better.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Well, I claim my prize for guessing it would be developed with Serato. And I'd be interested to hear from digital DJ's as to whether this actually offers something useful or new. And Digital Village have it listed at £80.00 a pair, which certainly makes it affordable.

But Novation deserve some abuse for making this the subject of a week-long countdown. They created the hype here.

I can't believe they have made the buttons like the sides of a dice... but only used numbers 1 to 5. It makes the thing look like a half-hearted concept. And I find their use of the term 'game changer' ironic, seeings as the demo video on their site makes the whole thing look like someone playing DJ Hero!

marconk

Post by marconk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:The only fail here is your predictable thread.
Hey, I love the fact they got Ean Golden to help develop it, I just think everybody was expecting a bridge controller, not a turntable accompaniment.

If the price is right it'll be a good deal.

*edit- £80 is acceptable, a tad more than i'd pay though.
I'm not cheap, just 13 and strapped for cash as I want to shell out on a vcm-600
Last edited by marconk on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:It's cool that it utilizes space well. It fits onto valuable real estate that we couldn't even consider real estate before.

For turntable fitting this is the single stupidest thing I have ever seen. Have these people never tapped on a turntable while the needle is on the record? Surely I don't have to explain this further!?

Game changer? I'm actually speechless.

Fu©£wits!

marconk

Post by marconk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Does anybody get why two cables are coming out the back of it?
*edit- the second one is connecting each dicer to the other, so it only takes up one USB slot.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:17 pm

i like the idea, i have a feeling that the cost will be to much.

the only thing is that we all know that the tables are not really the place to be banging on a controller.

as long as they are off the table,or on CD's then i think things will be fine.

otherwise i can promise that this will cause skipping when you are trying to grind a beat in a hurry and crush the button only to hear the beat skip.

i also say the picture of it on the the laptop. there is no way i'd bang on a controller on top of the laptop.

They just need to figure out a better place to use it and I think it will do well.

nice concept, but once again it has to be dirt cheap cause otherwise you can just buy a cheap midi keyboard/controller and be better off

Edit 80 Euro is roughly $97. that can buy you a 49 keyrig from m-audio and then you have a keyboard as well

To costly
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

marconk

Post by marconk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Exactly, (not being a fanboy here, I despise them) my akai lpd8 has 8 pads- thats enough for 6 cue points, loop in/out. It also has 4 pages and 8 knobs- also with 4 pages.
The Dicer proves a product can be too compact.

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Oh and just to mention....it's not even a new idea. They've already cheapened and plasticised someone else's idea...

http://blog.quickswitches.com/

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 pm

marconk wrote:Exactly, (not being a fanboy here, I despise them) my akai lpd8 has 8 pads- thats enough for 6 cue points, loop in/out. It also has 4 pages and 8 knobs- also with 4 pages.

yeah I love the lpd 8, perfect and SOoo much cheaper and better. It is good to see akai finally get some decent pads.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

marconk

Post by marconk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
marconk wrote:Exactly, (not being a fanboy here, I despise them) my akai lpd8 has 8 pads- thats enough for 6 cue points, loop in/out. It also has 4 pages and 8 knobs- also with 4 pages.

yeah I love the lpd 8, perfect and SOoo much cheaper and better. It is good to see akai finally get some decent pads.
It is a lovely piece of kit. I've got the perfect layout in ableton for it.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:47 pm

marconk wrote:
HeadrickProductions wrote:

It is a lovely piece of kit. I've got the perfect layout in ableton for it.
I was going to buy the nanoKONTROL today, and now I want to get the lpd 8 too. Good thing I'm broke and can't buy either! I love my lpk25. Small and cheap and good = win. That's why I think the Dicer is kind of cool. More of that kind of stuff...