You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Post by Angstrom » Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 am

twisted-space wrote:
Angstrom wrote: Probably because they were able to reproduce it, unable to figure out why it was happening and hence to give any estimate on anything realting to it.
And it turns out the reason for THAT was - it was a sylenth bug, which sylenth have now obviously fixed.

At least that seems the self-evident answer to me.
So would it be unreasonable to expect an email back saying something like "confirmed, we have no idea what is causing it but we're looking into it"?
It's not unreasonable to expect that, but its even more reasonable to expect it not to happen.
Unexpect the expected, and you are on the right track.

I have a vivid mental image of the bug tracking process, it starts off with polite customer service types like Dennis and Amo, but the hard bugs naturally go deeper and deeper into a programmer cave, where they only speak in guttural grunts. Your bug went into the programmer cave. Nobody was brave enough to go see where it went.

I'm sure Dennis will confirm that this is exactly how it works

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 am

twisted-space wrote:So would it be unreasonable to expect an email back saying something like "confirmed, we have no idea what is causing it but we're looking into it"?
Hi twisted-space,

As you mentioned in your earlier post, you did get a response on 23 December thanking you for your report and promising to investigate.

Please understand that it is not always possible to continue responding to individual support queries once they've been dispatched to our testers/developers. We just don't have the resources.

Also, especially in cases where a bug or crash seems to be associated with a particular third-party plug-in, I would strongly recommend ensuring that you've working with the latest version of that plug-in and that you create a support request with the plug-in developer as well as with us. In this case, it appears that the cause of - and subsequent fix for - this bug was taken care of by a plug-in update which has been available since late April.

Best,

do_om

Post by do_om » Wed May 19, 2010 6:10 am

I've been pretty lucky with the later versions of 8.
Had some issues w/ projects not loading but I worked around that,
kicking and screaming but the tunes got done in the end.

On 8.1.3 though I had some crash w/ the Arturia Jupiter 8v.
Crash happened while switching presets. Read that this bug
was fixed but maybe it's not so? I think that Live 8 is
a good example of the urgent need for professional payed beta testers.

It seems like the whole music software industry has shifted into
a mode where the client base have to do the troubleshooting.
That trend would not fly in let's say for the lack of any better
example this early in the morning...database software.

This thing with Live 8 has really been dragging on. Among alot of pros
(real ones, with chart positions and tour arrangements to worry about, not
narcissistic forum pros who worry about post counts) Live has become
a matter of sarcastic sniggering and downright anger and frustration.

Not a good look...all I'm saying. Hope Ableton get their house in order
still the best software out there by far. Logic has a truckload of bugs
too so this switching anger I've seen around will probably turn into a
$500 backfire.

Le do_om

Spectrumdisco

Post by Spectrumdisco » Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 am

Its stable on my system, except if I have certain Max for Live devices loaded.

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:18 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:for me massive got better with that last update, but stay the hell away from kontakt 4 until you get a newer update.
Ever since 8.1.3 came out I can do whatever I want as long as it doesn't involve Kontakt 4. :cry:
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:01 am

Arturia updated the JP8V plugin recently to 2.0, have you got the most recent version ?
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

do_om

Post by do_om » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Been running the latest JPV8 since it came out. Seems to be fine now.
Probably the crash was just a fluke. My system has been quite fine
besides that one acting up a bit. Tunes get finished and get sent out.

My friend has been less fortunate though...
Quite a messy MBP/OSX so I wouldn't go all out and blame Live.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:23 pm

KrisM wrote:
HeadrickProductions wrote:for me massive got better with that last update, but stay the hell away from kontakt 4 until you get a newer update.
Ever since 8.1.3 came out I can do whatever I want as long as it doesn't involve Kontakt 4. :cry:

Download 4.1 and give it a try. I've not been working with kontakt to much but it's bound to solve these problems.

If not....i'll have to fins another sampler to use in live

works fine in tool 8
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

IP

Post by IP » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 pm

dude rancher wrote:so many crashes with 8.1.3 and always a reboot. because of this i have developed a new reflex. ctrl+s as often as possible. after every thing i do.

and what if you need to undo? :/

luddy

Post by luddy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:39 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
KrisM wrote:

Download 4.1 and give it a try. I've not been working with kontakt to much but it's bound to solve these problems.

If not....i'll have to fins another sampler to use in live

works fine in tool 8
I'm finding that with 8.1.4b2, Kontakt 4.1 works fine when inserted into a project and while working on the project, but causes Live to hang when either (a) I try to delete the instance of Kontakt, or (b) try to close the project or quit Live. Oddly enough, it seems to do find saving the project.

I've sent in a bug report (.alp generated when I force Live to quit after it has hung).

-Luddy

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 am

I got around to putting down reason 5/record 1.5 (which seems to work well so far while rewired into live 8) and started playing with kontakt 4.1 into 8.13. I was able to do lots of editing that would cause 8.1.3 to crash in kontakt 4.05. Not saying that it's bullet proof but I am saying that it is much, much better than previous.

So for those folks who had given up using kontakt 4 in live 8 should give it a try again.

It seems that as ableton puts in time fixing live 8 as well as other companies updating there plugs that we will be past this live 8 nonsense sooner or later.....BRIDGE TIME
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

luddy

Post by luddy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 am

luddy wrote: I'm finding that with 8.1.4b2, Kontakt 4.1 works fine when inserted into a project and while working on the project, but causes Live to hang ...
Turns out this problem was with Kontakt - somehow its database had become readonly, and this caused Kontakt to hang while shutting down, even in standalone mode. After fixing this, Kontakt 4.1 is behaving well under Live.

-Luddy

rompling

Post by rompling » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 am

1. On one hand it might be there fault for poor programming or lack or programmer since their old programmers decided to leave them high and dry about a year ago to form a rival company - http://www.bitwig.com

:?: Does anyone know what bigwg are bringing out I know there ex ableton and the soft synth surge team sounds vey interesting 8)
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 pm

rompling wrote:
:?: Does anyone know what bigwg are bringing out I know there ex ableton and the soft synth surge team sounds vey interesting 8)
The most I could glean (from Claes' own forum posts) is that it is a sequencer of some kind which involves some sort of cross modulation of sound sources. Yes, I gleaned very very little. Sounds intriguingly good to me though, I love the idea of a host that treats the signal paths as if it were a giant modular. I'm probably way off track though.

one thing to point out: this business of "their old programmers left them and that's why there are bugs" is a bit misleading. There's 3 people in the team at Bitwig, and they all came from different Ableton departments and had different responsibilities. Not all of them had been there a long time. Of course, it will have caused Ableton some problems to have 3 guys leave at the same time right before L8 launched, but all those guys did actually work on L8

It will be interesting to see what they produce from their new "lean and hungry" team. They must have had a pretty hot idea.
It'll be a good while before we see anything though, I bet.

I also bet that they are prowling this forum from time to time, laughing and rubbing their hands together as they cross-modulate their sequences in a mysterious manner.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:I also bet that they are prowling this forum from time to time, laughing and rubbing their hands together as they cross-modulate their sequences in a mysterious manner.
They sure know how to build up tension. All their updates so far include lovely pictures that tell you exactly nothing.

And indeed, their withdrawal from the Ableton team can't really impact Live that much. Some of us spent more time on this forum than these guys spent working at Ableton. And maybe they're still working with Ableton.

Praise Claes for our smooth delays. Looks like his code made it to the filter delay too :)