Thinking about upgrading to Suite 8 and selling Komplete 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fongcj.eee@gmail.com

Thinking about upgrading to Suite 8 and selling Komplete 6

Post by fongcj.eee@gmail.com » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:51 pm

I really want to upgrade to Live 8 from Intro so I can actually slice to MIDI and edit racks, but now I'm thinking to just get the Suite boxed package and sell my box set of Komplete 6!

I started off with a Fantom G6 and man oh man was that thing awesome. I hated the sequencer though so I got myself Live Intro. After awhile I was sick of dealing with latency recording audio and midi, setting up midi and audio channels, and not having the ability to tweak audio devices in Live with the synths coming from the Fantom. So I decided to sell the Fantom and buy Komplete 6 because I heard I'd be getting Fantom/Motif quality sounds in a software format.

Komplete 6 sounds great but it's unstable sometimes and I find myself fighting the software instead of making music. Massive is pissing me off the most right now. (Does anyone else have this stablity problem? I got a quad core with 4GB RAM and I'm like WTF???)
Also, the acoustic instruments in Komplete make me want to yack compared to the Fantom...

So before I spend a day going through the demo of Live Suite, I wanted to know how people like the synths on Suite compared to Komplete. Particularly with the hard leads and the various pads (I make hip hop beats BTW).

Hands down I think the essential instrument collection alone is better than what komplete offers with acoustic instruments, and of course I could buy more kontakt plugins but Ableton offers the orchestral instrument collection as well so to me that's a wash.

Stick it out with Komplete 6? Get Live Suite? Get Live 8 and find good Live packs? Opinions? Thoughts?

tw1nstates

Re: Thinking about upgrading to Suite 8 and selling Komplete 6

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Ni Stuff shouldbe pretty stable now.

Check you have the latest updates, you have to install them sequentially as well sometimes.

Soundwise, hm, if you can't get rocking with what you have got buying more stuff often isnt the answer.

Why not spend some money on tutorials instead, or check out the free ones for programming your synths / samplers etc.
Some of the acoustic stuff in Komplete isn't great, but, oth, it isnt that bad. Also i havent heard many ppl saying that the live stuff is that good either (tho I haven't checked it out myself in ages).

I would stick with what you ahve got and squeeze the most out of that then think about selling / trading etc.
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

phattline

Post by phattline » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm

ni stable & not resource hungry :roll:

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:35 pm

can you sell independent plugs ?

iwould like to keep some .

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Phattline,

It hardly ever crashes on me - OSx Octocore mac, and tbh, i don't notice the resource hungry part, certianly not in comparison to some other stuff in my rig. . .

But each to their own.

Afaik Komplete can only be sold Komplete. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

fongcj.eee@gmail.com

Post by fongcj.eee@gmail.com » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 pm

There's only been one update since I've bought it and it hasn't helped. Soundwise, komplete is awesome except for acoustical stuff... At least without tweaking it. And I'd love to program my own sounds or tweak what acoustical sounds are given, but I don't have the time to do all that. And with 7000 sounds in Komplete, I'm not as motivated to do so either.

An octocore Mac?? No wonder you don't notice that it's resource hungry.

One things for sure, if massive or fm8 keeps freezing/glitching on me, their quality sounds mean nothing to me.

luddy

Post by luddy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:31 am

The Fantom & SRX modules had very good sampled instruments. I still use them in preference to the Kontakt stuff fairly often, and I know another arranger who swears by Roland romplers as well. Roland was a leader in sampled instruments for years and even though their technology looks dated now, they were very sophisticated when it came to recording and preparing multisamples.

If I had to choose between Komplete and Suite I would take Suite in a heartbeat, because I seem to work much faster and get to the sounds I want a lot quicker using Live's instruments than NI's. That's just personal preference. That said, Suite doesn't offer much in the way of acoustic instruments, whereas Kontakt almost certainly has the largest collection of natural instruments available for it of any sampler format.

-Luddy

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:52 am

I will change my name from tweakingknobs to fucksamples , or samples are dead

8O 8O 8O 8O

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:46 am

tw1nstates wrote:Phattline,

It hardly ever crashes on me - OSx Octocore mac,
lol

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Native Instruments stuff is wonderful, but it is definately falling apart at the seams... I update all the time, even go back to older updates if the new ones are worse... but everything crashes ALL THE TIME!!!!! battery, kontakt, massive, FM8, Reaktor, absynth... they all crash... when in Ableton... but not when running alone or in other DAW's as much

If i try and click on too thing right after one another, it crashes... in battery if i press a cell to hear it, i have to close battery, click on another ableton track, then go back into battery and click the other cell i want to hear... if i just try to click on one then the other.... crashes

i'd be doing the same thing as you, but I have suite 8 and it's nice... but i have to say I still can't do what I can with Komplete... I could do without the suite instruments for the most part, but going without absynth, fm8 and massive... my drum and percussion synthesis would fall to shit
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 pm

I use both NI's Audio Kontrol 1 and Maschine and found both to be stable as anything else on my computer. Recently, however, I found my computer to be slowing down a hell of a lot and wiped my drive to do a clean reinstall. I've lost a massive 68 gigabytes of wasted memory in the process and my computer whips along now. Do you think the problems you are having might be due to a overclogged drive? I appreciate you will know what you're doing with your computer and definitely don't want to appear as stating the bleeding obvious (a gift of mine), but over time all drives get crap left all over them by applications dumping files in weird and wonderful places. It might just help with stability issues.

fongcj.eee@gmail.com

Post by fongcj.eee@gmail.com » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Isturite: Wow you have some really bad issues with that and luckily mine isn't that bad, but mine is a chronic problem just like yours.

TNC: I just bought my laptop 6 months ago and it runs just as fast as the day I bought it. Quad core, not octocore though, haha. I also DJ so I can have Serato and Ableton going without any problems as well, so that makes me lead me to think that it's a driver issue between Komplete and Ableton. BTW NI's hardware is sick and yes, very stable. Maschine > MPC1000

I was surprised I was able to get through all of the lead and pad patches for analog and operator in a matter of an hour. A little disappointing actually. But I guess Komplete is $250 more than an upgrade of Suite 8. The pads are awesome but half of the leads remind me of the default synths fruity loops 3 had back in the day LOL! But I saw huge potential in a good amount of them, so I know the algorithms are on point. Sampler is really nice too.

I think I'm going to switch to suite. Stability is too important. But I got a week until that sale ends so Komplete might win me over again by then.

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 am

I just make sure to do all of my patch creation and editing outside of ableton, running NI stuff in solo mode... it's very stable then... also... with battery 3 I updated the driver and the crashing problem is gone (for now...)

Suite is stable, very stable... but NI KILLS!!!!
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite