The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Poster wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
Poster wrote:I have a question about auditioning drum samples which I cannot get an answer for from any vid..

say I have a MIDI pattern running and I want to change a drum sample;
can I just scroll through a list of samples and immediately hear the sample in place once it gets selected, without the need to actually confirm/load the sample?
yes and no,

you can't hear the sample when you use the scroll function via the knob (that is just to bring you fast to a section, let's say all contra bass samples)

but then when you use the sample 'up' / 'down' buttons you hear the sample automatically, basically using those always loads the sample immediately.
thanks..

so it's not a 'audition in place' but more a 'immediately load in place without the need to press return to confirm' kind of thing..
auditioning would be nicer but its already better than how Live handles this..
I'm getting convinced.. :D
yep, and it's easy to get back... you have like on a computer an 'undo' function.
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 am

Bumpin thread :mrgreen:

Is the hype dead?

Or everybody just having fun and no time to speak about it?? :mrgreen:

(my case)

cheers

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

supamonsta wrote: Or everybody just having fun and no time to speak about it?? :mrgreen:

(my case)

cheers
still totally blown away, no wait... i even get more impressed from day to day - i own it just a few weeks now and it allready feels so natural to work with Maschine + Live, that i really cant imagine doing my stuff without it anymore !

best music related purchase i made, ever :)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 pm

same here, I'm still discovering "hidden" features (that are much for me rather "undiscovered" than really "hidden")

My first steps were much made with using still the mouse a lot, and I'm progressively learning the hardware shortcuts, as the needs arise...

and, for now, it seems there is an hardware shortcut for almost everything!!!

(just the un-ability to preview samples in the browser with the hardware, without having to load the sample, that I find annoying, because it still forces to watch the screen and use the mouse)

cheers

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:32 pm

I don't know if you guys saw this, but maybe you will find this helpful. It's about using Maschine as a VST with Ableton (recording MIDI into Ableton, so you can make complex sequences/arrangements), and also have time-stretched/warped clips side-by-side.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144164

You could also accomplish the same thing using Maschine's drag-n-drop-audio function, but to me, I find that redundant... I like this workflow, and the ability to automate mute/solo on tracks is really helpful.

Still loving my Maschine... just trying to figure out the best workflow for hip hop.

Let me know what you guys think.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:32 pm

It's cool, but I wouldn't be lost without it.

It's nice to have another way to come up with the occasional good idea that necessarily wouldn't have happened without Maschine.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

hiphopdontstop your tutorial is indeed cool

I already have found my workflow, all being made in maschine, live only as a multimaschinechannel audio console and live-shows fx tweaker...

I just miss some little sequencing features from live, but my present workflow needs all sequencing to be made and KEPT in maschine (so as to be able to play it really live, while still from maschine, thru live :? I'm mad, I know, I like complexity :lol: )

I'll use setups like yours when I'll come to the complex arrangement tasks, but for now I want to focus on composition and live playing inside maschine. When tracks will be well squetched and played live a few times, I'll have all the ideas for more precise arrangements, and then, I'll be back with the drag and drop features and/or midi recording from maschine to live, and then, I'll surely have another look at your tutorial :wink:

cheers

billpayer

Post by billpayer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Right, I've caved in. I have been following new ones and 2nd hand ones on the bay for months and I've actually managed to win a brand new Maschine 1.5 for £410. I am a happy (and very worried that I've spent a ruck of money) man.
Can't wait for a play. This was my Virus Ti fund as well! Good job I have gotten into Sylenth1 at the right time....
(Bill Payer|3745 SoundSystem|Chome)

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 am

fatrabbit wrote:I did contact NI directly and they offered to take the hardware unit and inspect it, then repair or replace. They only refund delivery up to £12 though but even the basic UPS etc. is at least £40. Where the hell can I get delivery to Germany of a parcel for £12?

I sent it back (entire hardware/software) to retailer and they were quite good about sending a replacement, but I have no idea why they didn't take a look in the box to see if this one had the same problem.
Native Instruments support seems to be very insistent that UPS Standard is £12 (The cheapest I can get UPS Standard down to is £49.46) - well their support email guy just keeps repeating the phrase "UPS standard is £12." and not answering my questions, which is very frustrating - must be a copy and paste job.

Not impressed by their support at all, or their build quality so far (2 units - bad batch?).

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:03 am

*bump*

Saw this pic @ Maschine Facebook group - looks sick :o

Not that i dislike the look of a stock Maschine, but this looks way cooler - would go great with a Virus TI Polar ^^

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:06 am

oh yeah...

i also would love to have a custom design... hmm... food for thought... :D
*** Image GAFM ***

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 am

would love an all natural wood design myself.....very nice

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:03 pm

caved in.. beyond impressed.. instant keeper.. :P

the only minor thing is that mine came broken right out of the box.. the two displays were mirrored, both showing the same parameters..
took it back to the store, now banging on the store's demo unit as a temporary replacement..

the speed at what it lets you lay down ideas is simply amazing.. and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it all can do..
hate to say it but this so solves all the issues I had with drumracks.. integration with Live is also very tight..
should've bought this much earlier.. damn.. truly inspiring..

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:15 pm

:) Glad you dig it.

I love the fact that anything I sample can be edited (start/end points) with Maschine's knobs. Plus I can use either the LCD or the screen (the orange waveform...) plenty big to see details, and I can easily zoom in on it (also using Maschine's KNOBS!!!)

Make sure you get the 1.5 update if you don't already have it.

And........ be sure to visit the Tips and Tricks section for my "Maschine as a VST (best of both worlds)" thread... complete walkthrough on how to record the midi into Live instead of Maschine (because Maschine's sequencer's lacking, in the automated mute/solo department)...

Combine Maschine with Drum Racks and Live's warping/time stretching and you're golden.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 pm

hiphopdontstop wrote:And........ be sure to visit the Tips and Tricks section for my "Maschine as a VST
had it bookmarked already even before I bought it.. :wink: thanks..

the only thing I really have to get used to is that the step seq goes from bottom to top..
top to bottom feels more naturally to me.. can this be changed? guess not..