You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?

Post by 3phase » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote: "Ableton sucks" alone may feel cathartic, but it's actually not helpful - not because it's insulting (we're soulless robots, so that's a non-issue), but because it lacks usable data.

Thanks,

can you read minds? anybody here said ableton sucks? ...

but sorry..that is really just a catharic metapher.. of cause ableton is not sucking.. its a fine piece of software with lots of potential but many little flaws that have summed up since one year to a point where working with the program is highly fun reduced... the last time i had a smile regarding ableton live was when i checked the spectral osc of the L8 operator... but beside that problems dominated and now still shade the studio sessions where live is used.. recording a track allways has the risk of loosing that recording because a crash while record allways ends fatal for the data...

so you have to use logic... and that sucks... i dont like logic very much..

lets rephrase it..its not ablton that sucks.. its beeing forced to use logic that sucks...

better?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 pm

3phase wrote:lets rephrase it..
yeah, lets...

SHUT

THE

FUCK

UP

All the damn useless 200 word posts that only you and one other person read, you could have coded your own software by now. Kick rocks.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Now Kontakt 4.0.4 and 4.1 seem to work fine in Live 8.1.3? If it happens again I'll email in the alp file but I think I narrowed it down to a particular soundfont I didn't know was borked. When using my usual sample libraries everything is fine.

Ableton, you're free to go ;)
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:32 pm

"You Do Realize that 8.1.3 still crashes ALL THE TIME???!!?!?"

No, it crashes, but i don't realize it, apparently.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Just wanted to politely add my voice to all those experiencing continual crashes with Live 8.1.3 (as well as 8.1.4b2 and previous versions).

Live typically crashes every 15 minutes for me. Ableton blames Sampletank. But since Sampletank works fine in both Cubase and Live 6, I'm not entirely convinced. However, even if that is the case, I'd hope that Ableton and IK Multimedia would work together to resolve the issue. But I first reported my issues to Ableton and IK Multimedia year ago, and haven't seen any progress...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

patekswiss

Post by patekswiss » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:23 pm

robbmasters wrote:Live typically crashes every 15 minutes for me. Ableton blames Sampletank.
I don't use Sampletank, never have, and 8.1.3 crashes constantly on me. Even with minimal Live sets with very little going on in terms of plugs.

The continued silence out of Ableton on this issue is really changing my opinion of the company.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:25 pm

robbmasters wrote:Just wanted to politely add my voice to all those experiencing continual crashes with Live 8.1.3 (as well as 8.1.4b2 and previous versions).

Live typically crashes every 15 minutes for me. Ableton blames Sampletank. But since Sampletank works fine in both Cubase and Live 6, I'm not entirely convinced. However, even if that is the case, I'd hope that Ableton and IK Multimedia would work together to resolve the issue. But I first reported my issues to Ableton and IK Multimedia year ago, and haven't seen any progress...
Using too much memory.

Check your system ram.

For some reason the ableotn support dont seem to have this logged as a bug 8-(

i would bet my bottom dollar that's your problem.

How much system memory are you using, what OS etc?
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:27 pm

patekswiss wrote:
robbmasters wrote:Live typically crashes every 15 minutes for me. Ableton blames Sampletank.
I don't use Sampletank, never have, and 8.1.3 crashes constantly on me. Even with minimal Live sets with very little going on in terms of plugs.

The continued silence out of Ableton on this issue is really changing my opinion of the company.
Their support people are anything but silent.

What have they said to you when you reported the issues you have been having?
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am

tw1nstates wrote:Using too much memory.

i would bet my bottom dollar that's your problem.

How much system memory are you using, what OS etc?
Can I have your bottom dollar then please. ;)

It's not a RAM issue. I have 2GB and I'm using about half that. (System specs. in my signature - I'm using XP SP3.)

Ableton know it's an issue. It's on their list of plug-ins that don't work in Live: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25171

IK Multimedia have today recommended that I use multiple stereo instances of Sampletank rather than once instance with multiple outputs ("if you have too many audio pairs set up it can sometimes cause instability in some programs.") So I'm going to see whether that helps...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 am

it does?
mines incredibly stable.
then again im not using any third party plugins.
hell, its even incredibly stable while running on a hackintosh.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:05 pm

@ Rob,

Ok fair enough, I was having loads of problems with other smaple players / samplers so figured that might be your problem.

Well, in fairness if an individual plug crashes the application it's more than likely the developers issue - I.e. Ik Multimedia.

@ PatekSwiss,

What did the support people say to you?

It's not right that Ableton is crashing with no external stuff running.

It should be stable as a rock then.

I am interested to know what their tech ppl said...

You did report this right?

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:11 pm

tw1nstates wrote:Well, in fairness if an individual plug crashes the application it's more than likely the developers issue - I.e. Ik Multimedia.
I don't think it's as simple as that...

Cubase with SampleTank crashes rarely (if ever).
Live 6 with SampleTank crashes rarely (if ever).
Live 8 with SampleTank crashes every few minutes.

Looks like a Live 8 issue to me...

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Don't have a single crash ever...whats im doing wrong?

Well, a friend of mine uses a lot of the same plugins i use, the only difference is he uses k'ed versions
And he has a lot of crashes (especially with k'ed Lexicon Reverb)

so maybe stop blame Ableton so much?

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:40 pm

By k'ed, I assume you mean cracked? All my software is completely legitimate.

Obviously every set-up is different. So applications need to be able to cater for all sorts of configurations - hardware, OS, drivers, third-party software, etc. But there are so many possible combinations, it's impossible to test against them all. Which is how problems can occur...

I'm glad that you're lucky enough to have a combination that works well together. Unfortunately, I'm not so lucky. And when my combination of hardware, OS, driver and third party software works fine with two DAWs but not with a third, I tend to lay responsibility for the problems at the manufacture of the third DAW.

So while it's possible that the blame belongs elsewhere, the evidence points to Live 8.