Live's sound taste metalic

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
A5htar

Live's sound taste metalic

Post by A5htar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 pm

For a long time now i am dubbing with this issue, and i was wondering if more ppl feel this way abouot the sound "engine" in ableton.
i find the sound comming from ableton live (i use the latest version) to sound more "metalic" then other daws.
are there more ppl here on the board that share the same opinion or am i alone in this matter ?
And if so, why is this...
thanks in advance

glenn303

Re: Live's sound taste metalic

Post by glenn303 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Add a little soy sauce to it and that should take care of the metallic taste.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 pm

cue 3.....

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:42 pm

A5htar wrote:For a long time now i am dubbing with this issue, and i was wondering if more ppl feel this way abouot the sound "engine" in ableton.
i find the sound comming from ableton live (i use the latest version) to sound more "metalic" then other daws.
are there more ppl here on the board that share the same opinion or am i alone in this matter ?
And if so, why is this...
thanks in advance
Are Ye warpin'??

STRATEGY

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 am

A5htar. this is the obvious stuff that you may or may not already know...

have a look at how you are warping (timestretching) your audio. live does this by default where others dont.
ask yourself if warp needs to be on at all and if it does are you using the correct warp mode...beats, tones etc.

also have a bit of a look into sample-rate conversion.
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:11 am

you're not alone ...

but you're in a small pool of nerds who hang out in the corner of the playground unloved and never get invited to play with the 'normal' kids, always picked last for games and who's mother still sews your name into your underwear, even though you're now 35 ;)

Acquire the skills - read the audio paper Ableton produced, watch how you do warping, make sure you enable Hi-Q on your clips and on EQ8, watch your levels and leave headroom and you should find your sounds improve. Knowledge is power.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

bassistheplace

Post by bassistheplace » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 am

glenn303 wrote:Add a little soy sauce to it and that should take care of the metallic taste.
+1

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:59 am

Your ears, subjective little buggers they be, are basically lying to you. I imagine your feeling on the matter may have been colored by any number of forum threads, here and elsewhere, suggesting the inferiority of live's engine. At this point threads like this are popping up every other day.

Sigh.

People love to blame the daw rather than their own mixing abilities. And then furthemore, these same people love to indugle in the fantasy that any given DAW they don't currently own "just sounds better" than what they are currently using.

Save yourself now! It's not too late! follow leeds advice above and just make music!!

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

I have to agree to a certain extent - when I first started using live I thought this after a while when comparing mixes of tracks done in live vs cubase - always seemed to be a bit of a digital harshness on the high end, regardless of which audio interface and monitors/headphones I used.

In time you start to find the various high quality modes on plugins - especially the EQ and remember the switch them one when needed, and similarly you learn to be careful with the warping modes etc, and being more careful with high end EQ etc.

OTOH - if you switch warping off entrely, allways use EQ8 in HQ mode, especially if applying broad high end boosts, then its as good as any other DAW IMHO. BTW - I think EQ8 in its low quality mode is find most of the time if not doing much high frequency adjustment.

I also now sometimes gently roll off the extreme high end above 14.5-16Khz or so - just makes the high end sound alot smoother and far less fatiguing at high levels - this prety much applies to any mixing chain - digital or othewise.
Nothing to see here - move along!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Corpus, Collision, Operator and Tension. I'd say sounds in Live are very metallic :D

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Khazul wrote:I have to agree to a certain extent - when I first started using live I thought this after a while when comparing mixes of tracks done in live vs cubase - always seemed to be a bit of a digital harshness on the high end, regardless of which audio interface and monitors/headphones I used.

interesting how many people experiance that.. isnt it?

and is that a good sign? the user have to learn and work to overcome the initial sound?
Are the other daw´s high cutted and allways in high quality mode ? so they use dirty tricks than?

However.. you can get a good mix out of everything .. like a good guitarist can play on any guitar...

so they say.. fuck the 1963 strat.. that bulky chinese thing over there is doing it aswell when i press a bit harder and use a wider strap to distribute the wight better...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:02 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Corpus, Collision, Operator and Tension. I'd say sounds in Live are very metallic :D

I agree & that's a good thing!!! :D :D :D :D :D

As far as something being wrong with the audio engine, all I have to say is:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:11 pm

yep.. we know that.. :lol:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:12 pm

but anyway.. enough said about the issue.. it will hold on to improove up to the point there is none anymore...

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:38 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Acquire the skills - read the audio paper Ableton produced, watch how you do warping, make sure you enable Hi-Q on your clips and on EQ8, watch your levels and leave headroom and you should find your sounds improve. Knowledge is power.
Hey mon ami, where can this paper be found please ? :)