Mastering my tracks in live - can it be done?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Re: Mastering my tracks in live - can it be done?

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:31 am

it can only be done with the Mac version

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:02 am

I know this guy.... oh nevermind....

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:57 pm

djsynchro wrote:it can only be done with the Mac version
This.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 pm

timothyallan wrote:
djsynchro wrote:it can only be done with the Mac version
This.

Which is good! I have Mac! So, specifically, where would YOU start mastering within Live, using ONLY Live...?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:29 pm

The Limiter, that's it.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:33 pm

I do mastering for 3rd parties using Live... I would never use any of Lives plugins to do it however :)

I've bought tools from Sonnox, PSP and some other weapons which I use.

Rupert Brown

Post by Rupert Brown » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Can it be done? Yes. I master all our tunes in live. Live's racks are great for adding parallel compression if its not supported by the plug-in in question.

I use and really like T-racks 3. It has a great limiter, compression and metering tools.

Although from "I've a stack of vst's, but wouldn't know where to start." I guess you don't need more software but to put some real time into reading and getting schooled up. Follow through on the links already suggested, start practicing, listening and you will be on your way.

(putting aside as already mentioned: your converters, monitors and room etc)

Klauser

Post by Klauser » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:22 am

I like the psp plugins for mastering, they give everything a nice warm feel, adds a bit of colouration but nothing I don't mind. I used to master tracks completely in live and got, what I think were good results, maybe not but you notice a difference when you move to 3rd party plugins. Some great sounding software out there.

Download some demos from the plugin websites and see what one you like the best/ find most comforable to work with, then use it and use it till it becomes your bitch.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:20 am

Klauser wrote:I like the psp plugins for mastering, they give everything a nice warm feel, adds a bit of colouration but nothing I don't mind. I used to master tracks completely in live and got, what I think were good results, maybe not but you notice a difference when you move to 3rd party plugins. Some great sounding software out there.

Download some demos from the plugin websites and see what one you like the best/ find most comforable to work with, then use it and use it till it becomes your bitch.

I've a couple of PSP filters, which specifically did you use, for what, and why?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:23 am

PSP Xenon is a great limiter, one of my fav's after Voxengo Elephant.

importedearthman

Post by importedearthman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:12 am

Curious about PSP Mastercomp - 250 for a mastering tool i'snt bad but then you have to pay another 40 bucks to get the stupid dongle license device? = Primitive thinking. :roll:

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 am

Pasha wrote:Although not a pro, I mastered tracks using Live 8 only.
Of course Tarekith guide is a must read.
Follow my signature to listen to results

- Best
- Pasha
OT : The results are very good indeed, not only in terms of mastering but also the compos themselves :-)

Klauser

Post by Klauser » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 am

lolalola wrote:
Klauser wrote:I like the psp plugins for mastering, they give everything a nice warm feel, adds a bit of colouration but nothing I don't mind. I used to master tracks completely in live and got, what I think were good results, maybe not but you notice a difference when you move to 3rd party plugins. Some great sounding software out there.

I've a couple of PSP filters, which specifically did you use, for what, and why?
I like using vintagewarmer 2 on a buss with the basslines, i find it colours a mix just too much if I use it on the master track. I also think that neon is a superb eq, just love it. As already said the psp xenon is a superb limiter, I absolutely use it on every track I produce.

I also quite like the mastercomp, phattens up a mix nicely. I tend not to infulence the mix too much with this, just use it a wee bit, just for the beef factor.

I suppose I have to like these tools cos I boght them when I was quite poor, so have just exploited them as much as I can to get my moneys worth. So ended up with a set of tools I have grown to love.