I'm poor and I need more drums!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jome7

I'm poor and I need more drums!

Post by Jome7 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 pm

So yeah I've got Live Lite and would like to get some more drum sounds/presets/kits and what not. Not just other people's loops but to make my own stuff.

I searched around and found the PureMagnetik micro packs, but it said that it requires Live 6. I also tried the Battery demo, but I can't get it to work in Live and I've got no MIDI controller or pads yet. Is there anything good I can grab on the cheap or even free?

Just to clarify, I'm looking for mostly electronic kits and presets, I've already got some acoustic stuff.
http://www.buythis.ecrater.com/
eBay user name: cbrducati

twisted-space

Re: I'm poor and I need more drums!

Post by twisted-space » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:56 pm

http://samples.kb6.de/

No presets as such but lots of samples of drum machines.
Please consider donating if you use these, it's not a commercial project.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Ok but I am curious, is that legal to take all the sounds from hardware drum machines that would usually have to be purchased to obtain?

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Are you looking for a drum controller and one hit samples?

You can get samples from here

http://www.sampleswap.org/

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 am

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:34 am

Jome7 wrote:Ok but I am curious, is that legal to take all the sounds from hardware drum machines that would usually have to be purchased to obtain?

Well the site has been around for quite a while, I would assume that if it wasn't legal someone would have done something by now.

Ableton include various vintage drum machine samples in the "drum machines" Live Pack, is that legal?

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

if that was the case then using any recording of any instrument that you didn't actually own would be illegal. And every artist using a 909 kickdrum would have to pay royalties to Roland. For every kick.

Klauser

Post by Klauser » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Dude buy a mic and then you can record yourself hitting anything. Best thing I ever did for my percussion library. I think coming away from quite standard drum samples gives some new life to your music, but I suppose it depends on what kind of music you make, but still, you can get some quite interesting sounds.

You should be able to pick up an ok mic for quite cheap. Not sure what kind of audio interface your using( might be a bit of a problem) but yea that's my suggestion.

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:40 pm

I think coming away from quite standard drum samples gives some new life to your music, but I suppose it depends on what kind of music you make, but still, you can get some quite interesting sounds.
oh ya, this guy knows what's up! making your own sounds synthetic or recorded is hard at first because you need to learn to process them with eq/compression/saturation/etc. to make them sound decent but IT PAYS OFF, i spent a lot of time making my own drum samples while my friends were using other people's samples, then they start to run out of samples... or they want a particular sound but dont know where to find it.... so i hop in and say "ill make it for you" which works out really well... recently a friend of mine wanted to use a tuned 808 for his bassline, but wanted one that sounded more like a low tom and spent forever trying to find a sample that fit, or trying to process an 808 kick to sound like that.... he failed miserably and only messed up the kick drums thickness... so in about 15 mins i made him a very pro sounding tuned low tom, which he had spent hours looking for and trying to do himself without any sound design experience... since then he has been working on his sound design hahaha

try using some samples for a while, i can give you some of the ones I made but you gotta chop em up in Live because they are in one audio clip... I make all of mine with Absynth 5 and have only been into producing for a few months now

I have an audio file called "sample demo" posted on my sound cloud... it's up for download and has a drum loop at the beginning and im guessing around 15-20 drum samples at the end... feel free to use them for yourself, i'm giving them away 100% free to get feedback and tips on my drum synthesis.... some of them might need some light eq'ing, but it's good practice

soundcloud.com/isturite
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Wave Alchemy (and others) usually give away free samples from their larger libraries. Just a few of those, and some time with Simpler/Drum Racks or Impulse and you can make a ton of layered sounds. Or just use the samples that come with Live if you really want to. Myself, WA's Drum Tools 01 is my only drum sample library. They released Drum Machines 02 recently which is smaller and cheaper, and as with the rest they have a free selection from it.

http://www.heatercore.net/livetipslist.html

Specifically:

A Few Good Samples
Shape Those Sounds
Kick That Kick
Kick The Mids
Kick That Snare

He uses the same kick sound for every sound in those tutorials ;)

Nick's Tutorials: Sampling Tools has a freebie tutorial where he makes drum sounds from a voice sample. That's what prompted me into buying his Sampling Tools series. :D
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:36 pm

twisted-space wrote:
Jome7 wrote:Ok but I am curious, is that legal to take all the sounds from hardware drum machines that would usually have to be purchased to obtain?

Well the site has been around for quite a while, I would assume that if it wasn't legal someone would have done something by now.

Ableton include various vintage drum machine samples in the "drum machines" Live Pack, is that legal?

Oh, haha. Obviously I am a newbie to this stuff so don't know all the tricks and everything. I did install that Live pack but I can't get it to work, I guess it is because I only have Live Lite or because I don't have Operator.

For the others, thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on getting a mic due to my non-existant singing skills, unless I could get someone like a female singer to lay down a few lines or something. But that is a neat idea.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Get a mic and beat the crap out of random stuff about the house - can yield some great drum samples to work with :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 am

Jome7 wrote:
Ok but I am curious, is that legal to take all the sounds from hardware drum machines that would usually have to be purchased to obtain?

In the Ableton drum machine packs, you will notice they are not the original samples, for they are not audio files... they are patches... for example the 808 kit, is all in Operator... if you load an 808 into drum rack from the ableton library, and go to the device area within the 808 sample, you will notice it is being played from Operator as a patch that you can look at and even recreate with other synths... whereas if it was an audio file, it would be played from a simpler..

so yes... it is legal... because technically it isn't an 808 kit, it is an "808-style" kit... otherwise you actually have to pay royalties to Roland for every time each sample is used if you ever get a big release
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 am

What? I thought the usual sampling rules for synths were:
- No sampling of presets (but sampling your own creations is fine).
- No sampling of raw waveform in the case of a rompler or sample assisted synth.

Sampling an analog drum synth that has no presets is therefore IMHO fair game.
Nothing to see here - move along!

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:34 pm

Isturite- wrote: In the Ableton drum machine packs, you will notice they are not the original samples, for they are not audio files... they are patches... for example the 808 kit, is all in Operator...
actually, this is not completely true... the drum machines kits are samples (from the pack actually called Ableton Drum Machines or whatever). You can even find them yourself...library/waveforms/drums/kick/kick-808/Drum Machines-808-Kick-808.aif, for instance (which is an 80 MB file - that's some serious sampling of kick drums!) however, live does come with an 808 kit as well that is operator-based (among others... some of the operator kits are rather tasty). so there are both.