APC-40 liveset (techno/electro)

Share your tracks with other users.
oskar

APC-40 liveset (techno/electro)

Post by oskar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been a Live user since version 4 and I've been reducing my setup to just Live, no more VST's. Well, with one exception that is dbGlitch :roll:

With the arrival of the APC-40 I've started working on a new liveset trying to get the most control out of the controller by making smart racks etc.

The result is a very flexible mashup set of nothing but my own material created over the last 2 years. It's a mix of techno, electro, breakbeat and some disco/funk. Maybe I should call it Dance Music... :D

Well, have a listen, I'd really appreciate your feedback!

http://www.soundcloud.com/ozzilator/liveset-1

- Oskar

edit:
somehow the link changed, updated
Last edited by oskar on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oskar

Re: APC-40 liveset (techno/electro)

Post by oskar » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:09 am

*bump*

Is nobody interested in APC-40 and livesets anymore? :cry:

DJVATERS

Post by DJVATERS » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:30 am

i use the apc 40 to arrange all my shit, i like what you did here alot!

listened to all 33 mins, and dig it all.

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:40 pm

Definitely sounds really cool. About half way through it. I wish there was a video to go along to see how the APC40 is used.

oskar

Post by oskar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks for the comments, I'm really glad you liked it!

I can illustrate the APC-40 setup a little bit (and i'm planning to do a video too, just have to find a way to record everything at once - any tips?)

I have a total of 8 tracks running different loops of 1-16 bars length. All the tracks are routed to 2 extra channels. One for the 'base' (kick, snare, bass) and one for 'the rest'. 'The rest' gets a bit of sidechaining from the kick/snare channel.

On each channel I have a pretty clever (and big) rack that contain a bunch of FX (custom built racks) and a looper. That means I can loop a tiny bit of melody without affecting the bassline/beat, and vica versa!

Both racks have a dry/wet mapped to the crossfader. This allows me to completely mess up the sound and tweak every setting, but always instantly return to normal with one crossfade (after which i have time to reset all the faders and knobs). That really allows me to go insane without worrying too much. If I don't like what I'm doing, I just hit the crossfader and move on :)

On the master channel I only have a multiband-compressor, limiter and spectrum analyzer. There are no effects on the individual tracks, trying to conserve as much sound quality as possible from the original material.

- Oskar

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 am

oskar wrote:Thanks for the comments, I'm really glad you liked it!

I can illustrate the APC-40 setup a little bit (and i'm planning to do a video too, just have to find a way to record everything at once - any tips?)

I have a total of 8 tracks running different loops of 1-16 bars length. All the tracks are routed to 2 extra channels. One for the 'base' (kick, snare, bass) and one for 'the rest'. 'The rest' gets a bit of sidechaining from the kick/snare channel.

On each channel I have a pretty clever (and big) rack that contain a bunch of FX (custom built racks) and a looper. That means I can loop a tiny bit of melody without affecting the bassline/beat, and vica versa!

Both racks have a dry/wet mapped to the crossfader. This allows me to completely mess up the sound and tweak every setting, but always instantly return to normal with one crossfade (after which i have time to reset all the faders and knobs). That really allows me to go insane without worrying too much. If I don't like what I'm doing, I just hit the crossfader and move on :)

On the master channel I only have a multiband-compressor, limiter and spectrum analyzer. There are no effects on the individual tracks, trying to conserve as much sound quality as possible from the original material.

- Oskar

Hey Oskar,

This is a very interesting set-up, I might incorporate this into my live set. I currently use 8 audiotracks that go straight to the master. Your routing-scheme seems a clever solution for both sidechaining and easy balance of efx in the mix. The wet/dry control is very smart, but I would actually prefer a button to set my efx-racks to default. There are some m4l patches from hoffman2k that might work for this.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your ideas!!!

oskar

Post by oskar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:12 pm

pepezabala wrote: Hey Oskar,

This is a very interesting set-up, I might incorporate this into my live set. I currently use 8 audiotracks that go straight to the master. Your routing-scheme seems a clever solution for both sidechaining and easy balance of efx in the mix. The wet/dry control is very smart, but I would actually prefer a button to set my efx-racks to default. There are some m4l patches from hoffman2k that might work for this.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your ideas!!!
The advantage of a dry/wet slider is that the transition is always smooth. With a button, you will hear a pop or click for sure! (eg. just turning the rack off will sound terrible)

I got the idea from a friend who has a CD-dj machine (don't know the name) where the repeat effect could be mixed and that makes it SOO much more usefull and even more expressive as well. I really like to make a massive sound by using reverb and looper and some delay, and then removing it really fast followed up by a deep beat. That sounds intense, but it doesn't work when you would 'toggle', it would miss that 'sucking' effect. My most common usage of racks is to give an effect a dry/wet knob... :)

conker

Post by conker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:35 pm

sounds interesting but it says "oops, looks like we cant find that page!"

oskar

Post by oskar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:17 pm

wow the link just changed by itself?! :evil:

http://soundcloud.com/ozzilator/liveset-1

that should work.

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks for the walkthough of your setup! I think I will try the crossfader trick.
Looking forward to the video. Cheers