methods for making beats

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fountain2

methods for making beats

Post by fountain2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 am

I want to explore different options for making beats... Can you guys describe of a few different ways to do this? (preferably using ableton)

Currently, I am using Impulse but get the feeling i'm missing something. I get how you can drag sound files in the one of the eight impulse channels and then record a beat using the keyboard (or draw it in) but I still feel a little limited by it.

Thanks

Paul

LeifonMars

Re: methods for making beats

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 am

Drumracks are way to go. I don't like creating beats in Ableton, I like much more step sequencer approach, but anyway when I do here are some obvious tips:

1. In case I decide to draw a beat I disable the grid (ctrl+4/cmd+4) and place the notes with free hand
2. I use midi-devices to give some extra life to the beat, for example I may create own midi tracks for hihat, snare and kick, and place velocity-device to alter the velocity randomly
3. beat repeat to add glitchy confusion
4. delays (set the sync off and adjust)

Cheers
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

fountain2

Post by fountain2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:30 am

What is a drum rack?

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 am

fountain2 wrote:What is a drum rack?
Drum racks are great, much more powerful than Impulse... I was a big fan before I got a hardware drum machine/sequencer. RTFM and find out for yourself :)

Klauser

Post by Klauser » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 am

I just like to sequence audio clips in the arrAngement view, without any snapping on, gives the beat a nice organic feel. Takes a bit longer than using racks etc.. But I definately think you should at least give it a shot, it's good being able to create nice cut-up sounding drums.

This is my main way of creating beats. Sometimes I just line up a whole load of samples in different simplers and program away. I like to have the most control over the indivdual sounds, which is why I have stAyed away from using impulse, I instantly feel limited in how I can control the individual sounds.

Also have as much fun making beats, I end up spending loads of time bobbing away in my chair just programming beats/fills etc.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm

I find the most creative thing to do is arrange your beat clips in scenes and PLAY them in your tune.. No more (tedious) programming! (just tidying up)

for breakbeats this works well:

1.create a beat (or slice to midi) in midi track or group (groups rock!).

2.Copy it down the grid several times in session view.

3.Move start position on clip 2,3, and so on. (I move second to snare, third to gost snares,fourth somewhere else interesting in the bar etc)

4.assign these clips corresponding scenes to a controller or qwerty. Global quantize to 1/8th (my general pref).

5.Practice playing your beats any which way you like and dont forget to press record.

If you have anything else like pads or bassline playing, dont forget to remove the stop buttons on them.

Oh, and assign back to arrangement to some button! You will need it.

Tried to keep it to five points, kinda failed, but i hope it helps.

This method is the reason I cannot use any other DAW for making my beats!
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:19 pm

I copy and paste audio (drum hits) right into the sequencer. This seems like an archaic way of programming drums but it works.

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:25 am

Hey,

http://mrbillstunes.com/services_tutorials.php

Check this out. Its called "making complex beats using arpeggiators" its a method i use alot to make crazy beats with lots of control and minimal effort! :)

Cheers,
Bill
www.mrbillstunes.com

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:48 pm

youtube is your friend!! there is a plethora of helpful tutorials to get you on your way.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:28 pm

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:32 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
2. I use midi-devices to give some extra life to the beat, for example I may create own midi tracks for hihat, snare and kick, and place velocity-device to alter the velocity randomly

What's a velocity device....?

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 pm

What's a velocity device....?
'

It's a MIDI effect in Live. It alters the velocity of MIDI on an overall channel. Generally velocity will make stuff louder. Although it can pretty much be routed to anything.

Cheers,
Bill
www.mrbillstunes.com

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Generally velocity will make stuff louder
Or quieter of course.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:12 pm

/
Last edited by lolalola on Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bee Dub

Post by Bee Dub » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:14 pm

impulse is all you need, just play with filters, decay (the soft button) and organize your sounds into different impulse channels. Get creative with compressors, EQ and effects to do whatever you like. you can draw notes into impulse, just note that it will be very robotic sounding if you keep everything in the grid, i usually build grooves and then shift notes with the grid off (ex. move the snares slightly to the left to have them hit just milliseconds before the kick)

impulse or drum rack is all you need, but thats just me. just get good samples...