Recording VST automation with Automap - HOW?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Swordfish

Recording VST automation with Automap - HOW?

Post by Swordfish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi
After my rant last night I was pleased to find that Ableton 8.1 at least launches with my new SL mk2. (before it just crashed). 8.1 also feels a lot more responsive for some reason.

So, Ive got a VST plugin, mapped some parameters. Automap is ON. Its on a midi track...the knobs respond when I twiddle the hardware - I press record and midi notes are recorded - but no automation is written to the track. Why? How do I make this happen? Ive searched this forum, the internet, the depths of my soul - no joy there.

Thanks

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Recording VST automation with Automap - HOW?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 am

You need to configure the plug-in in Ableton's device. Ableton has to be explicitly told which parameters are automatable if there are more than 128. It has nothing to do with Automap or Novation.
Professional Shark Jumper.

button_ger

Post by button_ger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 am

-
Last edited by button_ger on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

button_ger

Post by button_ger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 am

I have told ableton which parameter are automatable. in the configure-menu of the plugin. The configured sliders are moving if i touch the poti on the SL MKII. But ableton is not recording an automation. How can i solve that?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:24 am

If you're trying to do it in session view (ie. record automation in clips), you can't. It isn't possible, unless you use midi directly with VSTs (as opposed to instant mapping and live's device parameters).

Automation can be recorded in the timeline view just by recording it.
Professional Shark Jumper.

mrnfake@gmail.com

Post by mrnfake@gmail.com » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:47 pm

I have the same problem, I know that in session view, it's normal, but I have in timeline view too. My midi's input/output in live are correct, I don't understand... I tried to add the parameter with the button "configure" in the vst-abletonlive window, but it changes nothing. Anyone can explain me ?

portrhombus

Post by portrhombus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Don't suppose this was solved at all was it? The MIDI IN indicator in the top right flashes when I use my user created template on the Nocturn; that all works fine. But as soon as I'm using Nocturn to control an automapped VST, Live doesn't register a signal, so I can't record any automation for it. I'm sure I've done it in the past so I don't know if I've accidentally changed some settings. I've gone through everything I can think of to no avail. Thanks very much.

EDIT: Think I've solved it. NEVERMIND!!