films n shit

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dum

Re: OT: Good Film

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:53 pm

thefinger wrote:still have not pointed to any specific examples of heroin chic. and i still dont get the complaint.
you don't get it. I don't care. I'm going to have to watch the film again to give you very specific scene-by-scene examples, but it's sufficient to say the entire film went for this sexy effect. two people have agreed with me so far, so...take that for what it is.
methinks you have some sort of bone to pick that has zilch to do with heroin chic as an aesthetic ... afterall, trainspotting was heroin chic, i dont hear that as an argument against it as a film really.
:roll: :lol:

trainspotting was heroin chic ? .... CHIC?....CHIC ?

you seem to be taking the term in a half-assed fashion and a little too literally.

american, right ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:59 pm

i'm using the term loosely?

sexy, fashiony, flashy =/= heroin chic

sorry but you just kind of threw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what would stick.

i get your other complaints. they could be argued as valid. especially that it was hollywoodesque. but in this case, of heroin chic, its apparent you were talking out of your ass; you've done that a few more times in the following conversation. hope you enjoy your day of trollbaiting that no doubt awaits you.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:04 pm

If you say so buddy.
In this conversation three people are agreeing that 'heroin chic' is a fair way to summarize the film's aesthetic. and only one, so far, disagrees.

How do you expect me to validate my opinion any further ? a power point presentation ? carefully noted jpegs ?

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

nobody is explicitly agreeing that heroin chic is a fair way to assess the movie.

what they are agreeing with is the general sentiment that the movie was shit.

which is fair game. im sure we can agree on some good movies too.

and no, i dont need a power point presentation. ive already asked for any example from the actual film which we are describing, which you have denied three times this far.

and yes, trainspotting was most definitely heroin chic. it glamorized the lifestyle of a heroin addict. its one of the reasons you can sympathize with the main character. who would probably . of course, it shows us the other side of the coin too, in interesting ways, which is what made it a classic, but youd be denying a major hook of the movie if it didnt have the "drug addiction is narratively interesting and hipsterishly cool" angle

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Blade Runner!

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:00 pm

thefinger wrote:nobody is explicitly agreeing that heroin chic is a fair way to assess the movie.

what they are agreeing with is the general sentiment that the movie was shit.

which is fair game. im sure we can agree on some good movies too.

and no, i dont need a power point presentation. ive already asked for any example from the actual film which we are describing, which you have denied three times this far.

and yes, trainspotting was most definitely heroin chic. it glamorized the lifestyle of a heroin addict. its one of the reasons you can sympathize with the main character. who would probably . of course, it shows us the other side of the coin too, in interesting ways, which is what made it a classic, but youd be denying a major hook of the movie if it didnt have the "drug addiction is narratively interesting and hipsterishly cool" angle
no body explicitly agrees ? stjohn agreed with me, and nylach highlighted where I specifically summarized at as heroin chic as well as hollywood BS, explicitly leaving out the bit where I simply stated I hated it. Do you want signed affidavits ? Maybe stjohn's concurrence is ambiguous if you want to make it so.

That you think trainspotting is a good example of heroin chic just confirms to me you have no real understanding of the term and you will obviously never agree with my use of the term regarding baader meinhoff complex - no amount of specific scene referencing will change that. Trainspotting was accessible to the mainstream, but that does not equate to glamourising heroin use. And besides heroin chic is an AESTHETIC...an aesthetic that is not exclusive to heroin usage as you seem to be insinuating. explaining why you think my usage of the term on this topic is incorrect. And sure, you could argue that 'Renton' was, and only at times, some kind of heroin chic playboy - but it would be a stretch and I would wonder how much of it would be attributable to his off-screen celebrity status as opposed to his performance & direction in the film.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

an internet warz commences once this is moved to the lounge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:02 pm

thefinger wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Dances With Wolves.
most undeserved oscar ever.
Yeah, Scorcese got screwed that year.

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000003/1991

MacGuffin

Re: films n shit

Post by MacGuffin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:06 pm

uh... do you guys really think Oscars are awarded to certain films because they're good movies?

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:08 pm

I was about 12 years old at the time. I think I lost some innocence that year.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Back on track: I wholeheartedly recommend Goodfellas.

vicz

Post by vicz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:17 pm

?
Last edited by vicz on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicz

Post by vicz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Escape to Victory

nikulo

Post by nikulo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 pm

stallone, michael cain and pele :D

aweseome movie :D

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

@funky shit - You should've renamed the thread "films & sounding like a bunch of bitches"