films n shit

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dum

Re: OT: Good Film

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm

a guy who sounds like a bitch wrote:Watched Toy Story 3 this weekend...It was AWESUMZZz :mrgreen:

Theres a old drive in theatre about 20 minutes from the city & they show 2 or 3 blockbuster movies in a night ($3 per person! Used to be $5 per car load :? ) It's a blast - You can bring a cooler of beer/food or whatever & as you pull into the place they give you a trash bag that you put your trash in & then you just leave the trashbag on the ground where you parked & they'll come & collect/trash them the next morning - And nobody messes with you (i.e. security trying to keep you from drinking or whatever) And if thats not enough - The town is sorta redneckish & if you park in the furthest back where the adults generally park you'll catch the wiff of some grass being puffed & from there its normally open invitation to procede with your own :wink:

Oh yeah - The other movie was Prince of Persia..Ehhh Meh...Could be worse however & slightly entertaining.
cool story.

I agree, thread title should be changed to denote the presence of bitches.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Machinesworking

Re: films n shit

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Since the idea of "along the lines of" long left this thread,
I'm going to name a bunch of movies that fall under the radar, that never deserve to.

Baby Doll - favorite Tennessee Williams adaptation besides A Streetcare Named Desire! I liked it better for various reasons.

Stalker - Russian existential masterpiece.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? - Elizabeth Taylor's best role, nasty movie!

Empire of The Sun- best thing this director ever did besides Jaws.

Wiseblood- best adaptation of a Flannery O' Conner novel by far.

The Razors Edge- hollywood, but still good.

The Unforgiven- hollywood again, but the plot is so worth telling the archetypes are easily overlooked IMO.

Rope- One room, one story.

Also, Hard Boiled is the best action movie ever made, prove me wrong.
(Followed by Magnum Force)

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm

bitches make the world go round.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
The Unforgiven- hollywood again, but the plot is so worth telling the archetypes are easily overlooked IMO.

Rope- One room, one story.

Also, Hard Boiled is the best action movie ever made, prove me wrong.
(Followed by Magnum Force)
Empire of the sun I've seen... but have absolutely no opinion on it for some reason. I'd remember if I thought it was shit though... Probably needs another viewing...

Rope is quality, thoroughly enjoyable =)

The tea-house scene in hard boiled is an all time classic... that can't be bested.
I'll have to think on it for a bit before I comment on the best action flick ever made though..

The Unforgiven... good flick but I'd stop short of calling it a classic. sentimentality has no place in the wild west...the anti-hero isn't anti enough IMO. haven't seen it recently though

the original dirty harry - now there's a classic. all subsequent dirty harry's should have gone straight to toilet. There wasn't a shred of moral fibre in the original. Awesome.

I'll check out the other flicks you suggested, and scorn/praise you for the recommendations at a later date!

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 pm

well look the bottom line is, if you have some weird nostalgic image in your head of how baader meinhof should be portrayed, then dont watch the movie.

if you can catch it on netflix for free, which is why i suggested, its a neat little crime flick told through unconventional characters on a purely story level. which is why i enjoyed it.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 pm

the good the bad and the ugly pwns unforgiven. though unforgiven aint bad at all.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:33 pm

thefinger wrote:well look the bottom line is, if you have some weird nostalgic image in your head of how baader meinhof should be portrayed, then dont watch the movie.

if you can catch it on netflix for free, which is why i suggested, its a neat little crime flick told through unconventional characters on a purely story level. which is why i enjoyed it.
nah, there's no nostalgia involved in my opinions on the flick. It was simply superficial from start to finish. A shit, unsatisfying retelling of real events.

Ya, best bet to enjoy it is by being completely oblivious and easily entertained.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:40 pm

you are a weird one.

that was 3 personal attacks over the preference of a movie.

oddball.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:44 pm

what personal attacks ?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Baby Doll - favorite Tennessee Williams adaptation besides A Streetcare Named Desire! I liked it better for various reasons.

Stalker - Russian existential masterpiece.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? - Elizabeth Taylor's best role, nasty movie!

Wiseblood- best adaptation of a Flannery O' Conner novel by far.

Good taste Sir!

I'll add a few more under the radar films:

The Conversation (1974) - one of Francis Ford Coppola's best.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God -(1978) - Werner Herzog & Klaus Kinski's masterpiece.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - apocalyptic Film Noir.

Nightmare Alley (1945) - a dark Film Noir haunted by a preternatural sense of doom & fatalism.

The Seventh Victim (1943) - bleak film about Satanic cult in New York's Greenwich Village which presaged Film Noir. One of producer Val Lewton's wonderful psychological horror films.

The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T - (1953) - lunatic fantasy scripted by Dr. Seuss (who also inspired the production design), & starring the great Hans Conried with his 5,000 key piano!

Question: Do you mean 'Unforgiven', the 1992 Clint Eastwood directed western, or 'The Unforgiven', the 1960 Burt Lancaster & Audrey Hepburn film?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 am

dum wrote: Empire of the sun I've seen... but have absolutely no opinion on it for some reason. I'd remember if I thought it was shit though... Probably needs another viewing...

Not surprising really, it's the life story of JG Ballard, a mind blowing sci-fantasy writer when he was a kid and interned in a japanese camp.
It's done hollywood style as it's Speilberg directing.... great story though.

The tea-house scene in hard boiled is an all time classic... that can't be bested.
I'll have to think on it for a bit before I comment on the best action flick ever made though..
What about the scene where our hero and heroine put cotton in the babies ears in the birth ward? That was classic!
The Unforgiven... good flick but I'd stop short of calling it a classic. sentimentality has no place in the wild west...the anti-hero isn't anti enough IMO. haven't seen it recently though
I would say it's about the real wild west, not the hollywood version. Clint Eastwood can't not make a hollywood movie though. I really thought it was an important part of history they were trying with a sledgehammer to bring home, that people who can kill each other at close range with guns are not stoic heros, but fucked in the head in some way, and usually drunk.
the original dirty harry - now there's a classic. all subsequent dirty harry's should have gone straight to toilet. There wasn't a shred of moral fibre in the original. Awesome.
It's a hard call between the two, but Magnum Force is even more cartoonish and I will never look down on a movie where fascist cops are offed. The first one is pretty bad ass as well though.
I'll check out the other flicks you suggested, and scorn/praise you for the recommendations at a later date!
You pretty much named all the throw away ones. The rest are plot driven big time. I would throw in Naked as well. <--can't believe I forgot that one.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 am

oblique strategies wrote: Good taste Sir!

I'll add a few more under the radar films:

The Conversation (1974) - one of Francis Ford Coppola's best.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God -(1978) - Werner Herzog & Klaus Kinski's masterpiece.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - apocalyptic Film Noir.

Nightmare Alley (1945) - a dark Film Noir haunted by a preternatural sense of doom & fatalism.

The Seventh Victim (1943) - bleak film about Satanic cult in New York's Greenwich Village which presaged Film Noir. One of producer Val Lewton's wonderful psychological horror films.

The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T - (1953) - lunatic fantasy scripted by Dr. Seuss (who also inspired the production design), & starring the great Hans Conried with his 5,000 key piano!

Question: Do you mean 'Unforgiven', the 1992 Clint Eastwood directed western, or 'The Unforgiven', the 1960 Burt Lancaster & Audrey Hepburn film?
I'll keep your recomendations in mind. The Conversation and Aguirre are both freaking great movies!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 am

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
ahem. John Fucking Cassavetes.

The Taking of Pelham 123
The original. Not that fucking Travolta monstrosity.
Robert Shaw is pure brilliance in this film. My God.

Across 110th Street
Finally started to get the recognition it deserved in the 90s
Fucking great tune, BTW.

Mean Streets
Johnny Boy. Nuff said.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:01 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:..

The Taking of Pelham 123
The original. Not that fucking Travolta monstrosity.
Agreed - great original jazz soundtrack too.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:02 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
ahem. John Fucking Cassavetes.
Damn forgot about him, which is a travesty of justice! Dead on there, if you haven't seen Faces, and Woman Under the Influence those as well!
Freaking love his movies. Faces is my favorite, but the ending of Killing is sooo dammed good, epic as hell! 8)