films n shit

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
oblique strategies

Re: OT: Good Film

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:20 am

Machinesworking wrote: Honestly though how many film versions are on par with the book?
Only example I can think of is Wiseblood? The Shinning was pretty good too.
Crash by David Cronenberg (1996) was neck & neck with the novel by J.G. Ballard.

Kubrick's The Shining is at least the equal of, if not superior to the novel. While the book is grand, the film is quite unique in how it generates fear & tension. Kubrick always gets under your skin...

My hope is that someone will film Peter Straub's Ghost Story, & do it RIGHT. The film that came out in 1981 jettisoned far too much of what made the novel so remarkable.

And let's not even get started on the travesties that claim to be based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:33 pm

oblique strategies wrote: Crash by David Cronenberg (1996) was neck & neck with the novel by J.G. Ballard.
Completely utterly disagree. Cronenberg is an amazing director, but the differences are major between the book and movie, to the
point where the main thing about the book that's so amazing is pretty much missing from the movie. Thing about the book is you read it and you understand the fetish, you get into the obsession that the people have, and it's unnerving. The movie is simply unnerving, you only halfway sympathize with the protagonists; you never get that feeling like you've stepped over an edge into their world, you're merely an observer. Croneberg seemed like the right man, but I'm not sure that book could ever really be captured on film, since film isn't as good as books at first person accounts and deeper character insights.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
oblique strategies wrote: Crash by David Cronenberg (1996) was neck & neck with the novel by J.G. Ballard.
Completely utterly disagree. Cronenberg is an amazing director, but the differences are major between the book and movie, to the
point where the main thing about the book that's so amazing is pretty much missing from the movie. Thing about the book is you read it and you understand the fetish, you get into the obsession that the people have, and it's unnerving. The movie is simply unnerving, you only halfway sympathize with the protagonists; you never get that feeling like you've stepped over an edge into their world, you're merely an observer. Croneberg seemed like the right man, but I'm not sure that book could ever really be captured on film, since film isn't as good as books at first person accounts and deeper character insights.
Good points - well said. It's been so long since I read that book. But, in accordance with your remarks, I do remember the book as being completely immursive. I'll have to read it again.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Good points - well said. It's been so long since I read that book. But, in accordance with your remarks, I do remember the book as being completely immursive. I'll have to read it again.
I think it's similar to what LSZ was saying about No Country, if you take it as a movie without reading the book it's OK, but if you know the book, it's lacking.
Dead Ringers, Videodrome and the rest of Cronenbergs work is awesome though! 8)

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:16 am

Machinesworking wrote: Kubrick's The Shining is at least the equal of, if not superior to the novel. While the book is grand, the film is quite unique in how it generates fear & tension. Kubrick always gets under your skin...
the film is by far better than the book. topiaries that come to life .... riiiiight. thats not scary at all.

steven king is actually a horrible writer who cant end a story tastefully to save his life. and he hated kubrick's version of the shining. go figure.

but he has great ideas.

btw. i loved the way kubrick killed off halloran/scatman/blackchef as soon as he shows up. brilliant.

nathannn

Re: films n shit

Post by nathannn » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:32 am

you guys should post links to a trailer
or at least post the movie's poster.

all i have to judge any of the suggestions on are the title.
and judging from the titles, they are all a bunch of depressing movies.

post links :!:
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:36 am

thefinger wrote: steven king is actually a horrible writer who cant end a story tastefully to save his life. and he hated kubrick's version of the shining. go figure.

but he has great ideas.
I wouldn't go that far, he has no filter, he just puts out far too much material. Plus the Stand sucked ending wise, great build up, no climax.
Carrie is freaking great though. IMO most writers don't even have one good story in them. He's mostly a hack with a few gems. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:51 am

nathannn wrote:you guys should post links to a trailer
or at least post the movie's poster.
Meh, you can google too ya know?
I'll start you off though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecGIYE7rgnU

BTW IMO whether a movie is depressing or not, is not a valid reason to like or dislike it.
Does it make you feel? Does it tell a unique story? etc.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:07 am

Ohh, don't agree at all about King. He's got some stinkers to be sure, but nearly always a great read. And at a time when most American authors have utterly abandoned character development in favor of hackneyed neo realism and fashionable nihilism, he writes about people that - for the most part- you actually end up giving a shit about.

Oh, and Dark Tower FTW.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:12 am

The Shawshank Redemption is a better movie than the book (another Stephen King, as it is).

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:19 am

Book Of Eli

big budget but very well done...excellent soundtrack and effects
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:22 am

Machinesworking wrote:

Interesting points, and yes that's exactly where I was going with No Country. The film reduced these characters to rather one dimensional figures that bordered on parody. There was a lot of intricate subtlety (a Cormac McCarthy specialty; where in just one or two sentences he manages to speak whole volumes about a character) that the Coen Brothers just couldn't capture.

I too love Cronenberg, but Crash was my least favorite of his films. Ballard was, in many ways, like McCarthy. There were enormous subtleties in motivation that gave his characters a richness that's fucking hard to capture correctly on film.

I read Empire of the Sun about 3 years ago. It's excellent, and I thought that Spielberg did an amazing job with it. Oh, and while it's quite fashionable to open the can of haterade on Spielberg (just like Stephen King), Ive always enjoyed most of his flicks. :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:26 am

dhilsabeck wrote:The Shawshank Redemption is a better movie than the book (another Stephen King, as it is).

Yes, agreed. Though to be fair Shawshank was a short story. :)

And disagree with the earlier assessment of the Shining novel. It's a fucking great film, and a fucking great book.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:31 am

Here's an example where the film kicked the novel's ass in every possible way:

Fight Club.

David Fincher, FTW.

A wretched fucking novel from one of the most overrated, flavor of the week authors. Fashionable nihilism, anyone? :P

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:50 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Here's an example where the film kicked the novel's ass in every possible way:

Fight Club.

David Fincher, FTW.
Dust Brothers, FTW