OSX 10.6.3 ...... new user. Performance tweaks ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dum

OSX 10.6.3 ...... new user. Performance tweaks ?

Post by dum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I just had my 2007 macintel iMac serviced, so seeing as the hard-drive needed to be replaced I've taken it as an opportunity to upgrade OS.

So, is there any tweaks or adjustments that I could/should make for the sake of optimal audio/visual performance ?

Also, any tips regarding bootcamp ? I've been on 10.4 until now...so I'm a bootcamp newbie.

danke
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

SubFunk

Re: OSX 10.6.3 ...... new user. Performance tweaks ?

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:40 pm

bootcamp i have no clue myself, not a user.

tweaks for OSX... NONE... you might hear / read otherwise... i tell you it's all rubbish, install and make music and leave OSX alone, and as much on / running as possible (put the comp to sleep and only switch off if really necessary), stress it hard. the better and smoother it will run.

if you need a 'clean' comp for real large or important projects and max CPU juice, simply log out and in again (no restart!) and then just launch your needed audio apps.

it's OSX baby. the reason to have a mac.
*** Image GAFM ***

dum

Post by dum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 pm

SubFunk wrote:bootcamp i have no clue myself, not a user.

tweaks for OSX... NONE... you might hear / read otherwise... i tell you it's all rubbish, install and make music and leave OSX alone, and as much on / running as possible (put the comp to sleep and only switch off if really necessary), stress it hard. the better and smoother it will run.

if you need a 'clean' comp for real large or important projects and max CPU juice, simply log out and in again (no restart!) and then just launch your needed audio apps.

it's OSX baby. the reason to have a mac.
ya, cheers.
I never tweaked 10.4 either... just asking on the off chance =)

Have you updated to 10.6.4 ?

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:24 pm

OS X is actually quite good at memory management in my experience. I can count on one hand the number of times I've even considered feeling the urge the reboot for freshness sake. Never really actually had to, though.

Only things I've done were because I have a MacBook. Undervolted the CPU and overrode the fan settings a bit :)

And Live still hauls ass.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:29 am

dum wrote:Have you updated to 10.6.4 ?
yep, since a couple of days no problems so far, all sailing smooth.
*** Image GAFM ***

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:05 pm

dum wrote:I just had my 2007 macintel iMac serviced, so seeing as the hard-drive needed to be replaced I've taken it as an opportunity to upgrade OS.

So, is there any tweaks or adjustments that I could/should make for the sake of optimal audio/visual performance ?

Also, any tips regarding bootcamp ? I've been on 10.4 until now...so I'm a bootcamp newbie.

danke

How do you service a 2007 Mac? I have a MBP that needs to get serviced I think. Cleaning the cooling system, etc.

slirak

Post by slirak » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:36 pm

SubFunk wrote:tweaks for OSX... NONE...
You really don't have to tweak PCs that much these days either. A lot of the tips drifting around the interwebz are really old or simply BS, for both systems.

Anyways, I just started using Time Machine and was thinking that could warrant a tweak. I mean, if it starts backing up in the middle of a set, you're bound to get in to trouble, right? So how do you people handle it? Do you simply turn it off manually when you're making/playing music, or is there some nice automator script or something that can suspend it automagically whenever you open up Live? I've been googling a bit, but it seems most of the tips won't work with snowy?

slirak

Post by slirak » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:37 pm

abluesky wrote:
dum wrote:I just had my 2007 macintel iMac serviced, so seeing as the hard-drive needed to be replaced I've taken it as an opportunity to upgrade OS.

danke

How do you service a 2007 Mac? I have a MBP that needs to get serviced I think. Cleaning the cooling system, etc.
Do a search on Youtube. You'll find lots of interesting tutorial videos.

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:08 am

There are a few things you can do...

I like to use Onyx to turn off things like Dashboard (the widgets)
Have a separate user accounts that starts up very minimal (go to your account settings in system prefs then login items)
It truly does help to defrag a Mac but, unlike windows, it requires the volume to be unmounted so you need to boot from a CD/drive
Keep the HDD as clear as possible

I tend to reinstall OS X about once a year to keep things fresh. As far as boot camp goes, nothing terribly special unless you are a gamer or there is some windows program you can not live with (Microsoft Access for example - but then there is still virtualization).
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:25 am

jeffplaysmoog wrote:There are a few things you can do...

Here's a widget that turns off Dashboard. Dashboard reactivates the next time you open it.

http://elaum.free.fr/index.php?page=English/Dashquit

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:59 am

jeffplaysmoog wrote:There are a few things you can do...

Have a separate user accounts that starts up very minimal (go to your account settings in system prefs then login items)
It truly does help to defrag a Mac but, unlike windows, it requires the volume to be unmounted so you need to boot from a CD/drive
Keep the HDD as clear as possible

I tend to reinstall OS X about once a year to keep things fresh. As far as boot camp goes, nothing terribly special unless you are a gamer or there is some windows program you can not live with (Microsoft Access for example - but then there is still virtualization).
this discussion is old... you don't need to switch off dashboard for example as it will only take background resources, etc after the FIRST startup...
(hence the fist dashboard launch after a fresh computer startup is always the slowest) and that 'intelligent' behaviour accounts for everything in OSX

OSX is 'intelligent' and you seriously don't have to do nothing... you just need to know it.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:00 am

slirak wrote:
SubFunk wrote:tweaks for OSX... NONE...
You really don't have to tweak PCs that much these days either. A lot of the tips drifting around the interwebz are really old or simply BS, for both systems.

Anyways, I just started using Time Machine and was thinking that could warrant a tweak. I mean, if it starts backing up in the middle of a set, you're bound to get in to trouble, right? So how do you people handle it? Do you simply turn it off manually when you're making/playing music, or is there some nice automator script or something that can suspend it automagically whenever you open up Live? I've been googling a bit, but it seems most of the tips won't work with snowy?
no trouble with time machine here, if it backs up during a session or not, i never realise it's actually there...
i only get remembered when the disk makes a little write noise.
*** Image GAFM ***

dum

Post by dum » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:31 pm

rikhyray wrote:you might find this useful
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... t=1#329214

Nice link, thanks