films n shit

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: films n shit

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 am

Christian Bale was pretty wooden in this one though, true.

Can't say enough good things about The Thing, top fucking notch.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:38 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: The Dark Knight
I'm probably the only guy on the planet at this point that didn't think The Dark Knight was all that spectacular...
You're not alone. I think the Nolan versions get all sorts of praise because they didn't suck as horrendously as Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Give me the Tim Burton Batmans any day of the week. Depth that the new ones don't come close to achieving.
Machinesworking wrote:Christian Bale was pretty wooden in this one though, true.
+1. Not likable at all and he's supposed to be the hero, the cornerstone of the Batman franchise.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 am

dhilsabeck wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: The Dark Knight
I'm probably the only guy on the planet at this point that didn't think The Dark Knight was all that spectacular...
You're not alone. I think the Nolan versions get all sorts of praise because they didn't suck as horrendously as Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Give me the Tim Burton Batmans any day of the week. Depth that the new ones don't come close to achieving.
I'm probably alone in this, but Burton is a hack with no substance, just good set designers. None of his characters or story lines have an ounce of depth to them IMO.

Ledgers Joker was miles above the idiotic mess of ego stroking Nicholsons Joker was.
Jack should have OD'd on drugs after the Shinning, then his career would be something to behold, but like a lot of older hollywood stars his later movies all seem like masturbation to past glory. I seriously had never to that point seen a grade A actor make a movie suck as badly.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 am

LoopStationZebra wrote: Carpenter's The Thing is like the original Alien; such a seminal piece of modern SciFi, and one of my favorites. Doesn't matter how often I've seen the film, it feels like the first every time. Such amazing levels of atmosphere that Carpenter was able to create.

that critical element that Carpenter added: The notion of Antartica as a character in it's own right. The isolation and dread and claustrophobia and freezing death awaiting just outside the door. Awesome.
Dead on target. Plus it has one of the best endings in all of genre films!

And, while we're on the subject, let us not forget to mention the magnificent score that John Carpenter & Ennio Morricone created for this film. So grim, so perfect. It is, dare I say, chilling...
Last edited by oblique strategies on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:15 am

Machinesworking wrote: Ledgers Joker was miles above the idiotic mess of ego stroking Nicholsons Joker was.
Jack should have OD'd on drugs after the Shinning, then his career would be something to behold, but like a lot of older hollywood stars his later movies all seem like masturbation to past glory. I seriously had never to that point seen a grade A actor make a movie suck as badly.
Well, when you dislike an actor on that level it's hard to overcome those feelings and enjoy a movie. That's why I can no longer watch any movie with Russell Crowe or Jack Black. They're dead to me.

Machinesworking wrote: I'm probably alone in this, but Burton is a hack with no substance, just good set designers. None of his characters or story lines have an ounce of depth to them IMO.
I'll agree that Burton has a few duds here and there. Alice in Wonderland, for example, was horrendous but I think that had more to do with Disney and less to do with Burton. So much potential wasted. That makes his duds seem that much more frustrating because he does have the ability and resources to make great movies. Just my opinion.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:23 am

For Tim Burton I choose these two as my favorites, & I believe they are his most personal films:

Edward Scissorhands
It's a truly unique vision, a wonderful take on Frankenstein, & (for me) it has genuine emotion. Quite touching & sad.

Batman Returns
Under all the dark glamour there is a lot of pain in this film. It is a fucking mean attack on traditional values & societal myths. In a word, it is revenge. Thank you Tim.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:28 am

Good choices. Add a Pee Wee's Big Adventure in there for me for pure awesomeness.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:00 am

dhilsabeck wrote:Good choices. Add a Pee Wee's Big Adventure in there for me for pure awesomeness.
Abso-lutely! :D

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:39 am

just fyi, guillermo del toro was set to do "at the mountains of madness" after he finished filming "the Hobbit" with MGM

now the hobbit deal is off, he left the project, due to MGM stalling over funds, so i dont know when we will see his version of lovecraft ... but i know its kind of a passion project for him, so he will probably get it made at some point.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:40 am

dhilsabeck wrote: Well, when you dislike an actor on that level it's hard to overcome those feelings and enjoy a movie. That's why I can no longer watch any movie with Russell Crowe or Jack Black. They're dead to me.
It's more like his performance in Batman was the beginning of the end for me liking his acting. Loved him in The Shinning, and he was excellent in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, just didn't like him in Batman.

As far as Burton goes I know I'm alone in this, just don't like his lack of real characters in his movies, it's all fantasy stuff, no substance. He's sort of the opposite of Lynch or Bergman in that it's ultimately pretty looking "dark" material, but easily digestible with no depth. There's nothing to his characters they're black and white cartoons. Pee Wee was cool tho. I liked Sweeny Todd OK, but mainly to ogle at his wife Helana Bonham Carter in full on milf mode, she was pregnant and looking ripe at the time they filmed that movie.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Seriously lacking in rom-com this list. :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Ooo, speaking of Jack Black. Hi Fidelity. A great fucking book and a superb movie. The only Jack Black performance which doesn't make me cringe. The movie ran an enormous amount of risks by being transplanted from London to Chicago, but man did it work. Rare among US adaptations.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

UKRuss wrote:Seriously lacking in rom-com this list. :P

Okay, I'll throw one out there: Sid & Nancy. :P

All other Rock & Roll flicks just suck in comparison.

:lol:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Machinesworking wrote: I'm probably alone in this, but Burton is a hack with no substance, just good set designers. None of his characters or story lines have an ounce of depth to them IMO.

lol, yeah can't say that I agree, but I certainly understand where you are coming from. At some point early in his youth he crawled up Chaz Addams' asshole and never left. :lol: But I'm a fan; though there are several of his films that I loath.

Have you seen Big Fish? A lot of folks who aren't Burton fans seemed quite taken with that flick, because I think it does have more humanity and emotional depth that his other films might lack (or, rather, skew off in bizarre ways).

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:09 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
UKRuss wrote:Seriously lacking in rom-com this list. :P

Okay, I'll throw one out there: Sid & Nancy. :P

:lol:
Amelie and Punch Drunk Love. Two perfectly acceptable romantic comedies.