chord help using the tonys chords pack

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gibson_ewok

Re: chord help using the tonys chords pack

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:52 am

You do take money for Tuition, that's what I read on your website.
Yeah i do. But i don't teach music. I teach production and sound theory and I have a degree in audio engineering.
I'm no music theory expert though and yeah after closer inspection it turns out i was wrong and i need to touch up on my theory.
I was just trying to help. Cheers for the post also.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:14 am

gibson_ewok wrote:
You do take money for Tuition, that's what I read on your website.
Yeah i do. But i don't teach music. I teach production and sound theory and I have a degree in audio engineering.
I'm no music theory expert though and yeah after closer inspection it turns out i was wrong and i need to touch up on my theory.
I was just trying to help. Cheers for the post also.
Alright - sorry for the harsh reaction! :)

Back to topic, I just remembered one more thing:
Try and find a good voicing. That can make all the difference!
Here's an example for the Am9 D9(13) Gmaj9 thing:
I created this in Noteflight in a hurry, so the tempo indication overlaps the Am9, sorry 'bout that. Notice the key signature, every F is an F sharp because of the key it's written in.
I added E9 as a fourth chord which is a modulation. As the dominant chord of A minor, it leads back to the Am9 in the first bar.

So how does it sound? I exported a MIDI file, you can just play it back or drag it into Live and screw around with it.
CLICK HERE

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:31 am

Alright - sorry for the harsh reaction!
All good. Yeah that;s an awesome progression! It'd be cool to turn them sorts of progressions into really whacky twisted dubstep / electro

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:25 am

It'd be cool to turn them sorts of progressions into really whacky twisted dubstep / electro
I just made a quick idea out of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyiydrzwmn3

Cheers,
Bill
www.mrbillstunes.com

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:43 am

gibson_ewok wrote:
It'd be cool to turn them sorts of progressions into really whacky twisted dubstep / electro
I just made a quick idea out of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyiydrzwmn3

Cheers,
Bill
http://www.mrbillstunes.com
Nice, I like your glitchy sound.

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:55 am

Cheers!
If you want more of it i have a lot of free music on my site.
I should have another free EP out "Suave" in 2 days (6th July)

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:52 am

I saw you mention Harmony Navigator, it's a little pricey, but really useful if you're having trouble getting to grasp with chord progressions. I actually mostly just use it for this, even though it does all sorts of other stuff too, you can find good chords from melodies by entering midi into it. so if you can afford it, it's definitely worth looking into. and unlike a lot of those chord vst's you will actually learn about how things are musically related.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:00 am

Back to topic, I just remembered one more thing:
Try and find a good voicing. That can make all the difference!
Here's an example for the Am9 D9(13) Gmaj9 thing:
I created this in Noteflight in a hurry, so the tempo indication overlaps the Am9, sorry 'bout that. Notice the key signature, every F is an F sharp because of the key it's written in.
I added E9 as a fourth chord which is a modulation. As the dominant chord of A minor, it leads back to the Am9 in the first bar.

So how does it sound? I exported a MIDI file, you can just play it back or drag it into Live and screw around with it.
CLICK HERE[/quote]

wow this is extremely helpful and i find it really interesting being expalined,
and the chords sound very nice, i think you could develop something quite good from this if you extend it and build on it
LPB

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 pm

leighbeynon wrote:wow this is extremely helpful and i find it really interesting being expalined,
and the chords sound very nice, i think you could develop something quite good from this if you extend it and build on it
Well, it's a very common chord progression, you can find it in a lot of jazzy tunes, "Thanks for the Memory" (a very popular swing tune) starts like that, also "Amor em Paz" (which is a Bossa Nova tune by Tom Jobim), or "It's Easy to Remember" by Rodgers and Hart.
The voicing is just the first that came to my mind, having the B as a pedal tone. You could find hundreds of different possibilities to arrange it, especially if the bass plays something other than the root note.
I learned most of this by just sitting down at the piano, opening a Realbook and playing. Sooner or later the hands find their own way and you learn to hear all the chords. It takes time, but it's lots of fun. (and the ladies dig it 8) :wink:)

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 am

wow impressive, id love to be in that position of playing, its gotta take years and years of practise i would imagine,
LPB

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:09 pm

leighbeynon wrote:wow impressive, id love to be in that position of playing, its gotta take years and years of practise i would imagine,
Doesn't take as long as you would think to get decent results. I was surprised myself how much progress I made during the first year and how much progress I'm still making after three years of playing jazz piano. I'm no Bill Evans, but I work okay in a band context and I could accompany singers if they handed me the sheet 5 minutes before showtime.
And the same old rule applies when practicing: better do 10 minutes every day than an hour one day in a week.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:30 pm

well i practise 1 hour every day, ive been having lessons for around 3 years now,
i can read music and play a little, but cant play without music or improvise etc,
i would like to be able to create chord progressions while im learning, but since im still learning to play not sure that this is any time soon
im happy to read more theory and try to learn more on my own aside from what my teacher sets me to play, but im not sure what to do to achieve my goal
LPB

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:38 pm

leighbeynon wrote:i would like to be able to create chord progressions while im learning, but since im still learning to play not sure that this is any time soon
Don't say that! I write songs since I'm 12 or something, sure, if I listen to them now most of it is unusable, badly played, and I really didn't have a clue what the hell I was doing there, but I learned an awful lot from writing my own harmonies, melodies and rhythms.

Keep in mind what you practice for: you learn your playing technique so you're able to realize all the stuff going on in your head, never vice versa!
In other words, an instrument is always just means of showing other people the music playing inside of you.

If there's no music playing inside of you, listen to the music other people play, make a trip to the sea or the mountains, watch a nice sunrise, do whatever inspires you.
If there's music playing inside of you and you can't translate it to your instrument, practice!

It's the eternal circle of music!

Hahaha, now I feel like the monkey guy from Lion King: