Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Bagle - maybe you need some perspective that some people use Live a LOT and depend on it for gigs and rent money. you might be OK without it for a few days but for others that's a major disappointment. it's a wide open forum with lots of different kinds of users.

as for the rest, pots and kettles...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 am

i completely understand, but if your music is your bread and butter then a whole system wide upgrade can put you outta action for a day or 2, so if anthing your gonna make sure you got all the nesassary codes to get it back up asap..

im just annoyed this guy, he moans about the customer support and unlock codes, abes support is number 1 compared to other companies ive had to deal with, and they are only protecting there investment..
if its such an issue go used cracked versions
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:11 am

Thinking about the dongle issue... What if a company made a dongle that could fit inside your computer?! Then you'd never lose it unless you lost your computer. Maybe it could attach to an internal USB header on a desktop machine, or somehow attach between a data cable for an internal drive.

Of course, it depends heavily on the make of laptop, but it would still be really cool. :)

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 am

the_planet wrote:Thinking about the dongle issue... What if a company made a dongle that could fit inside your computer?! Then you'd never lose it unless you lost your computer. Maybe it could attach to an internal USB header on a desktop machine, or somehow attach between a data cable for an internal drive.

Of course, it depends heavily on the make of laptop, but it would still be really cool. :)
useless for the laptop musician tho, good idea all the same
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

agentwonderbread

Post by agentwonderbread » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:12 am

As far as the "been there, done that"- I have called Ableton several times and they have rarely done anything BUT bend over backwards to help me. I typically speak to the same people every time and have actually had discussions with some staff where we concluded we actually knew a bunch of the same people.

I doubt this would have happened if I had been behaving in a certain way- and this thread- the sort of "rage against company x" thing isn't new. I have been there- up temporary shit creek without an immediately available paddle- but, if you are working in the creative industry- your relationships with contemporaries, agencies, your accountant, the people at the permit offices- and MOST OF ALL- the people who make the tools with which you make a living-- are the most important thing you have going on- typically being far more valuable than what you know- it's the old "who you know" cliche. Whatever- they become cliches for a reason.

So long as they stay within the terms of service- they don't have to help anyone with a damn thing. So, calling up an employee at a privately owned company and laying into them about the absurdity of their practices will rarely grease the wheels in your direction. I'm not saying you did this- I'm not saying anyone did anything- but I will suggest this:

1. Do not proceed from what you perceive as a mishandled issue and "go public" with a forum rage. Typically, forum rage results in employees at said company having a laugh about your spelling errors.

2. Use lots of "please" and "thank you" and open any complaint with "hey- I know this isn't your fault" and request emergency assistance with "I know this is a pain - but I need it ASAP and would really appreciate any help I can get."

3. Be prepared to not hear what you want to hear so as to be flexible enough to have a hope in hell of working out a solution that neutralizes any issues you are experiencing. Suddenly raging mid-discussion can ruin the person on the other end's day and yours.

And here's the thing- get mad at me- whatever- but, seriously- indignation does not actually get anything out of anyone- it is GREAT in movies- but if your money is involved- at the end of the day- it's your f*cking problem. Yeah- you paid for the software and yeah, they're gonna help you out- the question is about when and whether or not every second is costing you money. No matter who you trump in forums, no matter what service personnel you really take down to size- if you lost money- that's the real bottom line. I suppose you could claim "self-respect" amidst financial ruin- but I tend to have a lot more self-respect when I am getting paid for finished jobs...

And if you think Ableton treated you like a criminal- which really does seem odd to me- they have never been anything but awesome about it- you should call Adobe sometime. I really am trying to just give a constructive response because it seems like this thread might hint at where things are going wrong for you (the OP).

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:20 am

Always been really pleased with how easy it is to get an new authorization if needed. I reformat and reinstall my OS a lot compared to most musicians, they're always fast and friendly with it. Bummer you've had a bad experience, but I don't think it's at all representative of their support at all.

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:26 am

It could even be an honest mistake. How many people actually use two operating systems at the same time for an extended period and NEED multiple authorizations a lot? They could have just shot you an authorization code and then thought the problem was solved.

**edit** that ignition key looks like the "best" of both worlds. The ease (if you have a desktop) of a dongle with the friendliness of, well, not having one. :lol:
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:49 am

Fucking thread, it's ridiculous.

Live has one of the easiest and most friendly way to activate your product. No Dongle, no bullshit center to install, able to use the same licence on two machine, you can switch easily from Mac to PC, and if you need to reinitialize your licence to install on new computer, a quick mail to the support and it's done.
And the bonus, if you're not happy you can come to their forum and criticize them like the phony your are without being moderated. :P

jokes appart, never run into trouble for activation and it's a breeze compare to most other softwares.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:19 am

I am totally satisfied, I had quite some changes on computers in the past, I even once authorized an extra machine for an art installation thing, and I never had any issues in getting timely positive feedback from ableton.

Khazul, when you don't reach them on a weekend - then you still can authorize your computer for a test-run for one month as well. You can just open a webmail account and authorize with this one. The machine needs internet access though, but this shouldn't be a problem for most cases.

And you can run your liveshows any machine using Live without authorizing. If you have your set already prepared, though.

I find that quite easy.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:35 am

pepezabala wrote: And you can run your liveshows any machine using Live without authorizing. If you have your set already prepared, though.
This is why it's not much of a problem.
My logic board died a while back and the Abes agreed to give me at least two authorizations so I wouldn't have to ask if something happened.
That coupled with at least being able to play my sets live and I'm hard pressed to see the issue?

There are companies out there that deserve the rage a lot more, who use horrible copy protection etc.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:14 am

My pc is currently dying. :cry:

I will upgrade as soon as I can afford to, and what ever the problem is, it is causing Live to appear as unregistered.

It is pissing me off, but Abes has been very understanding, and have been kind enough to not give me any grief in my authorisation requests.

Sorry to hear you have been having issues Khazul.

I'm off to reauthorise Live again. (3rd time in a week)
Last edited by Sibanger on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 am

Bagle wrote:sort out your anger issues and you wouldnt be so worked up, i know its the internet but that doesnt mean you have to be such a cunt.. and go fuck your mother asshat, just cos you dont like the customer service, when 99% of people here have had no issues with them, maybe your the fucking problem
A little bit harsh but very effective. :D
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 am

When I know I have to do something that could mess up my authorizations I write Abes Support and they are always prompt in reply. Not a problem in 5 years.. and when I was Windows based I had two bad crashes that needed XP reinstall.
So I do not see any reason to feel not satisfied. :D
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:30 am

Machinesworking wrote:
pepezabala wrote: And you can run your liveshows any machine using Live without authorizing. If you have your set already prepared, though.
My logic board died a while back and the Abes agreed to give me at least two authorizations so I wouldn't have to ask if something happened.
That coupled with at least being able to play my sets live and I'm hard pressed to see the issue?

There are companies out there that deserve the rage a lot more, who use horrible copy protection etc.
Well said. Can you imagine a dongle protection failing before a show?
Nightmare. :!:
Mac Studio M1

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:05 am

Pasha wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

Well said. Can you imagine a dongle protection failing before a show?
Nightmare. :!:
I would hope that software requiring a dongle would allow you to use multiple dongles in case one fails. If you're a gigging musician (and you can afford it!) having backups of mission-critical stuff is vital. Our guitarist always takes an extra guitar, and our drummer a bag of extra sticks, for example. When Nine Inch Nails was touring, they carted around a redundant computer and ProTools system in case the main one failed. Of course, it's a cost vs. benefit thing.

(heh, "multiple dongles". that will never get old :D)