8.1.4 - king of stability?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gerard

Re: 8.1.4 - king of stability?

Post by gerard » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 pm

I was just working on a song and had horrible crackles all all all the time @ 40% CPU. Installed 8.1.4. and the crackles are gone. Could it be that 1year and a half later, it's starting to get bett... no I won't say it. still too soon to be sure.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

pr0jekt2501

Post by pr0jekt2501 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 am

If I just want the program without any of the presets & audio content, can I install the program only file without having a previous version installed ? (I'd try this myself but am at work atm )

fraxyl

Post by fraxyl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:22 am

Carl Lofgren wrote:Might already start a thread on this.

8.1.3 are old pants now - 8.1.4 is the future.

Less problems than before? Downloading as I write.
I <3 my old pants.

That being said, downloading some new pants right now.
/fraxyl\

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 am

where are the changelogs?
And I dont get the "new installer". On the download page it s the same deal as before, download suite or normal version.

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:20 am

afraid of upgrading ... cause I'm performing on next saturday..
so sorry guys, I cannot be one of yours here.

I'll do that after this day :)
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

fraxyl

Post by fraxyl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:25 am

Upgraded and I was running it for about an hour mucking about with the partner instrument compilation, seems stable enough.

I forgot to add earlier that I really like the download options!
/fraxyl\

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:47 am

Hi folks,

Some answers to questions so far:

- Changelogs will be coming within the next couple hours. They weren't ready at the same time as the software, and we didn't want to wait.

- Projects made in 8.1.4 can be opened in 8.1.3. They cannot, however, be opened in versions prior to 8.1.3.

- Some users mentioned crashes with 8.1.4. Can you provide more info?

Thanks,

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:55 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote: - Projects made in 8.1.4 can be opened in 8.1.3. They cannot, however, be opened in versions prior to 8.1.3.
Is is unique for only the 8.1.4 version or will it also be the case for future version? Ie. up till 8.9.9?
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:03 am

Carl Lofgren wrote:
Dennis DeSantis wrote: - Projects made in 8.1.4 can be opened in 8.1.3. They cannot, however, be opened in versions prior to 8.1.3.
Is is unique for only the 8.1.4 version or will it also be the case for future version? Ie. up till 8.9.9?
It SHOULD be the case throughout the 8.x cycle, but it largely depends on what you have included in your Set. For example, if we introduce a feature in 8.x.x that didn't exist in a previous release, then Sets saved that use that feature will obviously have some sort of incompatibility issue when opened in older versions.

Best,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
Carl Lofgren wrote:
It SHOULD be the case throughout the 8.x cycle, but it largely depends on what you have included in your Set. For example, if we introduce a feature in 8.x.x that didn't exist in a previous release, then Sets saved that use that feature will obviously have some sort of incompatibility issue when opened in older versions.

Best,

that is very much better than a program that refuses to open slightly newer files at all.. in the end of the day the clips with theire start and end points, loopsettings are the main thing one needs to transfer when working together with somebody that is still on an older version. would be nice if such an upward compatibility for at least that basic data could be kept also for all the future versions of live
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 am

3phase wrote:that is very much better than a program that refuses to open slightly newer files at all.. in the end of the day the clips with theire start and end points, loopsettings are the main thing one needs to transfer when working together with somebody that is still on an older version. would be nice if such an upward compatibility for at least that basic data could be kept also for all the future versions of live
Indeed, that would be ideal, but it can't always be guaranteed.

For example, we completely changed the way warping works in Live 8. Allowing clips made with Live 8 to be compatible with Live 7 would be very difficult.

Best,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:08 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
3phase wrote:that is very much better than a program that refuses to open slightly newer files at all.. in the end of the day the clips with theire start and end points, loopsettings are the main thing one needs to transfer when working together with somebody that is still on an older version. would be nice if such an upward compatibility for at least that basic data could be kept also for all the future versions of live
Indeed, that would be ideal, but it can't always be guaranteed.

For example, we completely changed the way warping works in Live 8. Allowing clips made with Live 8 to be compatible with Live 7 would be very difficult.

Best,
a little converter program could have done the job here..besides.. the old warping only knows the start and the end point and the loop setting for the majority of clips on is using all this trasnient markers are an extra.. i think it wuld have been possible to get that upward compatible.. maybe not with 100% accuracy... but just with start/end and tempe would be well enough to safe a hell of time or the session at all when working with people that are still on an older version..anyway..its too late for that now..

but just regarding the future... for a coder a half data set is lethal.. a no go..game over...

for a musican a half data set is a new track..much better than no data set..

so even a not well working upward compatibility is better than none..maybe even creates funky results

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote: Indeed, that would be ideal, but it can't always be guaranteed.

True - but not being to load a project made in Live 8.1.1 with a 8.09 version is just plain loony. Please don't revert to the old ways again.
Anyway, this is all good news. So far.
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

Jorge3

Post by Jorge3 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm

I've been extremely troubled by crackles between some clips in the Arrangement view in almost every my project since 8.0. There's a thread on this problem:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112868

It has nothing to do with CPU usage or warp modes or warp markers. Fading off a large portion of the clips' ends sometimes muffles out the crackles, but sometimes doesn't (and when it does, it silences so much of the clips that the solution isn't practical). Consolidating or exporting the clips do nothing either. I'm stuck because of this, and I'm increasingly demotivated to use Live.

Has this problem been solved in 8.1.4?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Jorge3 wrote:I've been extremely troubled by crackles between some clips in the Arrangement view in almost every my project since 8.0. There's a thread on this problem:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112868

It has nothing to do with CPU usage or warp modes or warp markers. Fading off a large portion of the clips' ends sometimes muffles out the crackles, but sometimes doesn't (and when it does, it silences so much of the clips that the solution isn't practical). Consolidating or exporting the clips do nothing either. I'm stuck because of this, and I'm increasingly demotivated to use Live.

Has this problem been solved in 8.1.4?
crackles less with my setup.. why you dont give it a shot? dont costs anything