abletons asd files not readable anymore ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

abletons asd files not readable anymore ??

Post by 3phase » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 pm

during all the updates of L8 there was times where the asd files of my older loop libary didnt worked anymore.. so all loop infos was lost...

now the old loops read again but the others made during the last year or the ones i have updated dont...

anybody else with similar problems?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

fisto

Re: abletons asd files not readable anymore ??

Post by fisto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 am

just reinstall quicktime or "quicktime alternative" and they should all work again

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 am

??? quicktime? what has quicktime to do with it?

funny that ableton dont knows about that..

i´ll try that..

thnx

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:48 am

You're right. Its funny that installing quicktime solves this issue.
I had once a problem with my warped mp3s on a new installation. All tunes were unwarped, but after installing quicktime they all worked again. I hope this works for you too.
Cheers

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 pm

there is no seperate quicktime installer for snow leopard :-/

any ideas how to reinstall quicktime on snow leo?

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Oh, im on win7 here so can't tell this. But i'm Intersted in the solution on mac

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Quicktime is actually a prerequisite for running Live. Even on a PC. The Abe's stipulate it in the documentation.

I know. I didn't read it at first either.

Didn't have any problems until I tried to use MP3 samples legally downloaded from Beatport. The same songs still in MP3 but downloaded from Juno did work. Very strange.

I found I could use freeware MP3tag to 'correct' the Beatport files and make them useable but I followed the Abe's advice and installed Quicktime anyway to avoid other potential issues in the future.

Rather wish I hadn't felt it necessary though. Like planting a particularly virulent weed in an otherwise tidy garden. It tries to take over everywhere unless you keep a bashing it back.

I suspect Ableton require us all to install Quicktime because otherwise they would be unable to promise universal compatability but perhaps that is a conspiracy theory too far.

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Thats really weird and interesting.
For the peops on mac here is maybe hiw to install it on snow leopard
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678?view ... cale=de_DE

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:33 pm

ok..that explains why that has solved mp3 related problems.. especially on pc.... if ableton does that with quicktime they probably dont have to pay a direct licence to the fraunehofer institute.. so no special conspiracy behind that..

but on a mac quicktime is a core service allready.. and it can effect midi performance and video issues.. but..
.asd files?

thats abletons own files.. there is no way that quicktime issues make them unreadable..or?

i rather suspect all the bug interactions between all the differnet versions and betas one has used during the last year for having created the mess..

and abletons silence regarding that item is probaly just indicating that one has to byte in the sour apple and just resave all the clips again..

ok.. you learn what you have again..
just.. is this now happening on a regular base?
because than i probably have to cut all my loops on exact length... i usually have some offset space in the beginning and end to be more flexible in arrange... so lost loop setings make a lot more extra work than on precise cutted loops wher you just have to switch the loop on again...
Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

fisto wrote:Thats really weird and interesting.
For the peops on mac here is maybe hiw to install it on snow leopard
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678?view ... cale=de_DE
that is only the player.. with snow leo quicktme is now really part of the os and no seperate download anymore..

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Did you do an entire rescan of the library? And if the files are outside the library, do you have backups of files that aren't broken?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:49 pm

i dont have my loops in the ableton libary because i dont like them shitted over with all that cheasy content anymore..

beside there was datalosses in the past with abletons libary folder...i dont touch that thing again for important content.

I have my personal file folders with various loops i safed into cattegorys for session purposes.. but they get regulary corrupted now as it looks...

allways hard to say when you last have pressed the safe button on a clip.. the best indicator is when they load with loop off..what cant be an intended setting in a loop libary..

and they are all on one bar loop from the start marker.. what is ok on precise cutted files.. but the ones that are not cutted have lost theire tempo info aswell..

strange thing is that some older files that havent opened correctly with earlier L8 versions now work again while loops i ve done for my last years live shows have lost theire settings now..

all this asd madness i a bit loony anyway ..loonyton should have decided to name the L8 asd´s diferently.
so one can access the private lib from various live versions...

Theese whole asd thing could have a redesign somehow.. thats nothing one can say in 5 minutes how to do it better... but the file asd relation is a bit problematic somehow..

arent there some sub code areas in aif or wave files that can be used? there are some in aif files as far as i know...or an ableton own soundfile format like digidesign has introduced? totaly upward compatible of cause.. a loop start is a loops atsrt and a song tempo is a song tempo... ..this is no info that will ever change.. maybe it gets a higher resolution.. but one can take care of that ..or?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Couldn't you see from the "Last modified" date of the file when the problem occurred?
If the files haven't changed since you made them, then maybe Live isn't reading them properly for some reason.