8.1.4 - king of stability?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Re: 8.1.4 - king of stability?

Post by sporkles » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:20 pm

So... I installed 8.1.4, concluded that the loop point spikes (here or here) are still there; removed a couple of tracks
from my default set, to see if that would do anything (which it didn't), clicked "undo", and my computer rebooted.

Fuck this travesty.

Go Spain!

Polyprog

Post by Polyprog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 pm

My computer crashed when trying to unzip xD

nah jk.. installing now

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:45 pm

3phase wrote:there are independent folders for each version in the preffs and applikation support
Not sure if the location of the config files are similar on MAC as they are with PC, but even if I made a copy of my ableton live application folder and tried to run both - they would be reading from the same config/preferences located in a central spot for that specific version. a second preferences.cfg, or anything other config files would not be written for the second version.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 pm

After about 10 minutes, it goes mental crackly. Absolutely unplayable. But I had this in 8.1.3, but it's worse now. I'm on a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3. I've had to go back to 8.1.3, just because it does this less. The only way to stop it (for a bit) is to reset the buffer settings to something else. Totally unworking. I just now, I tried to load a EQ8 and the whole thing crashed.

I've sent you the bug report.

Come on Ableton, this is taking the piss now!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:14 pm

I really wish people would at the least keep a text document of their system specs, and loaded VST/AU's that they could paste into their comments in
update threads! Most of the time you don't even know what OS someone is running when they post, "It's crashing more for me!" etc. :?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:32 pm

littlejim84 wrote:After about 10 minutes, it goes mental crackly. Absolutely unplayable. But I had this in 8.1.3, but it's worse now.
i've had this problem too, but i don't think it's to do with ableton.
i think it's to do with snow leopard, which screws certain mbp models.
are you using a FW audio card? the audio here goes batshit occasionally with my Saffire LE, and i have to reset the card. started going bad woth 10.6.4 for me.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm

garyboozy wrote:
littlejim84 wrote:After about 10 minutes, it goes mental crackly. Absolutely unplayable. But I had this in 8.1.3, but it's worse now.
are you using a FW audio card? the audio here goes batshit occasionally with my Saffire LE, and i have to reset the card. started going bad woth 10.6.4 for me.
have this problem as well with a MOTU UltraLite.. every other 30 minutes or so I get a noise burst that lasts about 10 seconds..
never been able to track it down though.. had it with both Live 7 and 8..
now that I think of it; I never tried to connect the MOTU to the FW800 port with a FW400>FW800 converter.. not sure if that's even possible but might be worth a try..

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Poster wrote:
garyboozy wrote:
have this problem as well with a MOTU UltraLite.. every other 30 minutes or so I get a noise burst that lasts about 10 seconds..
never been able to track it down though.. had it with both Live 7 and 8..
now that I think of it; I never tried to connect the MOTU to the FW800 port with a FW400>FW800 converter.. not sure if that's even possible but might be worth a try..
i just bought a fw400 expresscard for the mbp 2.16 so that the fw harddrive and the fw soundcard are on seperate firewire buses (my mbp has fw400 & 800 ports, but theyre on the same bus).
the sets that always started to glitch up are now running fine, so dunno - may be an option for you..?

this is the card:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0603456546

has the TI chipset. a good thing, apparently.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 pm

garyboozy wrote:
i just bought a fw400 expresscard for the mbp 2.16 so that the fw harddrive and the fw soundcard are on seperate firewire buses (my mbp has fw400 & 800 ports, but theyre on the same bus).
the sets that always started to glitch up are now running fine, so dunno - may be an option for you..?

this is the card:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0603456546

has the TI chipset. a good thing, apparently.
aah.. the expresscardslot.. who would've thought I would ever use it.. thanks!

pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 am

I guess in the grand scheme of things this is a trivial problem, but installing the program only version gave me the colored Live loading screen rather than the black and white Suite one. I'll be happy if that's my only issue.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:38 am

pedx1ng wrote:I guess in the grand scheme of things this is a trivial problem, but installing the program only version gave me the colored Live loading screen rather than the black and white Suite one. I'll be happy if that's my only issue.
But following the installation, I assume you have the black and white loading screen when launching the application again, right?

Best,

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 am

I'm also a Suite owner and never had the black and white splash screen.. not that it bothers me, just saying..

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am

didnt have problems with 8.1.3 at all more or less, but since installed 8.1.4 has crashed on me several times.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
pedx1ng wrote:I guess in the grand scheme of things this is a trivial problem, but installing the program only version gave me the colored Live loading screen rather than the black and white Suite one. I'll be happy if that's my only issue.
But following the installation, I assume you have the black and white loading screen when launching the application again, right?

Best,
Although I always got the color screen during the betas, I now correctly get the black and white screen, even after downloading the program only file. This is actually the first time it's ever come up with the proper splash screen for the suite after I've downloaded the smaller file. Never a big issue for me, but I happen to like the black and white one so I'm glad that works. :)
Professional Shark Jumper.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I really wish people would at the least keep a text document of their system specs, and loaded VST/AU's that they could paste into their comments in
update threads! Most of the time you don't even know what OS someone is running when they post, "It's crashing more for me!" etc. :?
This wasn't pointed at me, but you inspired me to make a signature. Now I'm just worried it's offensively large!
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1