Live hardware monitoring using Motu Ultralike mk3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zeddy

Live hardware monitoring using Motu Ultralike mk3

Post by Zeddy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm pretty new to my Ultralite and am pretty confused by CueMix FX and the hardware in general. I'm planning on recording my friend's DJ set. He uses a conventional setup (two turntables, mixer). I would like to record this set into Live, but am a bit worried that latency may cause a few problems with his beatmatching if he is listening to the signal monitored through Live. I know with the Ultralite that you can pass inputs right through to outputs (live monitoring) with zero latency, and I think this may be the best way to do it. For the life of me though, I can't figure out how to do that (direct monitor an input). I have read the manual a bunch of times, and it seems to refer to using mix busses to do it, but I'm lost at that point. I guess I should also ask then too: is it possible to live monitor an input and also record it into Live at the same time? Thanks for any help.

Piplodocus

Re: Live hardware monitoring using Motu Ultralike mk3

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Set all the ins you need from the turntables/etc in the cuemix software "inputs" tab to optimum levels.

Set up all your tracks in Ableton to the same ins and record enable them. Make sure they are muted though so they don't output from the monitors, but will record.

Go to the "mixes" tab in CuemixFX. Set the mix output on the rightmost side of the channels to whatever output you want to listen/monitor on (or choose a different mix that's already assigned to it, as there's 8 available mixes). Unmute/adjust the levels on that mix tab so the monitor/speakers have the right mix.

Set ableton's click to come out that same channel as the monitors from in Ableton.

Now the click will go from ableton to the output channels, the inputs will be internally routed and back out the output channels in the MOTU, and the MOTU inputs will be recorded into Live.

That's how the direct monitoring works!

Alternatively you could record it in normally, then adjust the delay ms afterwards for each ableton channel with the delay compensation adjustment each track has.
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Thank you so much. I will give all of that a try. Going to watch that video as well too... hope it will clear up some of my confusion.

edit: I'm at work so I can't try it right now, but I may have had some of the mutes on the Mixes area all goofed up. Maybe that's why I couldn't hear it. That will be a little embarrassing if that's the cause.

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:58 am

Ok, I'm good to go now. I had the input that I wanted to monitor muted on the Mixes tab still. Needless to say, once I unmuted, I was in business. Thanks again for the help.

martinlektra

Post by martinlektra » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi, I want to add a question here. I want to do the same thing here but i am worried about all the equalizing/compression of the whole mix. Do you guys have something to suggest to make my mix sound very "warm" with a good "presence" without having a saturation in basses & highs…

I know it's a broad question, but any "general" guideline would be helpful.
thanks