Elvis Whistlehoof - Post-Rock/Funk/Alternative

Share your tracks with other users.
Piplodocus

Elvis Whistlehoof - Post-Rock/Funk/Alternative

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Hello. Here's my latest Work In Progress (vocals all need re-recording + general tweaking all over) from my project: Elvis Whistlehoof and the Flying Saucer Working Party.

It's my own genre I've called "Wonky Funk" (although this one's in regular time signatures unlike my usual creations). Features aspects of Alternative Rock, Post-rock, dance, funk, trip-hop type stuff.

All done using Ableton Suite (with Session Drums/Operator/other bits and peices), using all Ableton plug-ins for mixing, plus a Novation Super Bass Station Rack, and a Parker Mojo/Diezel Herbert/Marshall Cab.

http://soundcloud.com/elviswhistlehoof/black-box

Comments please re:
Production/Mix/Song/Arrangement/What genre you'd call it/Whether it put a smile on your face...

Be gentle it's my first public sharing! :wink:

P.S. Mixed on my headphones and Hi-Fi!
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

amigo

Re: Elvis Whistlehoof - Post-Rock/Funk/Alternative

Post by amigo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:05 pm

I enjoyed that. :)
It sounded good to my ears and the arrangement kept me interested.
There were a couple of shaky moments with the singing but you say that you are going to re-record them.
Overall, impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Pretty nice, especially the guitar work : naive melody and the stroboscopic stabs are spot on, the solo on the other hand lacks originality and doesn't connect too good harmonically with the break.
I like the voice, the timbre has personality.
Overall a very nice first hear of your sound (fresh air from 100% electro).
But the mix has a problem in my opinion : the parts don't glue together very well, i can still feel the cables behind the robot, so to speak. Is this due to the fact that the drums have a strong room reverb feel and the voice is pretty dry ? Dunno, but something is strange. Maybe you could add a discreet general (short) reverb to see if that helps. Just my two hundred yens, of course.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Cheers for the feedback. Glad you (generally) liked it!

Yeah, there's something about the mix I can't put my finger on. It doesn't quite gel, and there's a slight woolleyness to it too.

Mmm, I'll have to ponder the solo. I played it improvised as a first take, and I haven't thought of a better one, but since listening to it lots it's kinda stuck in my head now, so it's dificult to hear with fresh ears.

Some of the synths are there to give something rhythmical to play to in the backing mix (e.g. over the guitar solo) when the drums/guitar/vox are live. Glad they didn't stick out as being out of place or too much, as I made up parts that were "unnecessary" to help us stay in time!
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1