chipPad for iPad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slaykent

Re: chipPad for iPad

Post by slaykent » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 pm

earsmack wrote:
I see what you're saying - I'll look into doing something where if you have one finger down (while in bit mode) and then press another step it basically turns ON all the steps in between the two and turns OFF all other steps in that track. Right?

I love these kinds of feature requests from folks who really like using the app - good stuff! Thanks!
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a great solution, I can't wait. It's nice to see a developer actively involved with the users.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:56 am

earsmack wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:Is it possible to play non-looping clips without quantizing them?

What I'm looking for is basically a mixer for my own audio files. The few apps I've found that do this have various limitations that prohibit their usefulness for my purpose.

Here's what I want:
-multi-track mixer with basic mixer controls (volume, pan, solo, mute).
-play audio files un-warped, un-looped, un-quantized, & not truncated to fit a quantization grid.
-ability to add new files to tracks, while the files in other tracks are playing.
-a browser for files.
-aif, wav, aac, mp3 support.
-importing of my pre-existing files.

These extras would be nice:
-EQ.
-Aux sends/FX.
-shuffle/random mode for groups of files.
-random population of tracks from the browser.
If you leave a track empty and set it to be the master track then the quantization is essentially non-existent. Another option is to set your shortest track to be the master track and set the number of steps to the maximum. This will get you the next lowest possible quantization.

Note that the iPad has some memory limitations that it puts on apps (256MB I think?) and so loading full-tracks may only allow you to load a few tracks and (worst case) may cause the app to crash while configuring it. I'm looking into ways to address this but for now chipPad is not designed to be used as a "full track" player as it needs to load all sounds into memory in order to allow random/real-time access as you tap all over each track.

chipPad has volume, solo and mute but no pan. It supports stereo tracks so it's assumed you already have the panning "worked out" in the source material.

You can also add new files to tracks while others are playing.

You can browse aif and wav files that you copy over to chipPad using iTunes. You don't have to sync the ipad, just use iTunes to copy files over to chipPad using the Apps tab in iTunes.

chipPad currently has no effects although I'm thinking through the best way to add some basic ones - probably starting with reverb.

Your "random" suggestion is interesting - I hadn't though of that much - I more designed chipPad to be configured tune by tune and then used to perform the tune ala mlr. Interesting tho to maybe look into randomizing some of the configuration in a musically useful way.

Thanks for the suggestions and I hope this helps a bit.
Thank you for the detailed reply. Lots of useful info. Looks like your suggestion of leaving the master track empty is a suitable workaround.

Glad you appreciated the "random" suggestion. I Look forward to seeing how you may implement this.

The iPad memory issue is bad news for long files, but it sounds like an app that doesn't require loading all sounds into memory would be better suited for my purposes. Now if someone would just build it...!

This brings me to my next line of questioning: how difficult is it to design & create an app for the iPad? If it's not too difficult I might as well build what I need myself.

8)

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi oblique -

You can download the developer kit and everything you need from http://developer.apple.com/

If you're a programmer and able to learn new things easily then it's just a matter of learning the language (obj-c) and the frameworks needed to implement the app. Depending on how detailed you need to get with the audio it could be easy or very difficult. There are at least 5 levels of API that allow you to play sound in iOS from a very simple single call to the most complex (what chipPad uses) that manages multiple buffers and implements realtime callbacks to fill those buffers with sample data, etc.

If you want to actually run your app on a device (not just in the simulator) you will be joining the developer program at a cost of $99/year. This also allows you to sell your app in the app store.

Hope this helps.
check out chipPad for iPad @ http://earsmack.com

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 pm

earsmack wrote:Hi oblique -

You can download the developer kit and everything you need from http://developer.apple.com/

If you're a programmer and able to learn new things easily then it's just a matter of learning the language (obj-c) and the frameworks needed to implement the app. Depending on how detailed you need to get with the audio it could be easy or very difficult. There are at least 5 levels of API that allow you to play sound in iOS from a very simple single call to the most complex (what chipPad uses) that manages multiple buffers and implements realtime callbacks to fill those buffers with sample data, etc.

If you want to actually run your app on a device (not just in the simulator) you will be joining the developer program at a cost of $99/year. This also allows you to sell your app in the app store.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, very generous of you. Unfortunately, I don't know a thing about programming! So, with that in mind, I'm guessing that it would be difficult. :cry:

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 am

oblique, Google just announced this new android app builder thing today - might consider that if you want to get into building apps without the steep learning curve. Good luck!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 am

earsmack wrote:oblique, Google just announced this new android app builder thing today - might consider that if you want to get into building apps without the steep learning curve. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I plan on using an iPad however, so I guess I'll investigate the learning curve a bit, or work with developers. I honestly think that it's only a matter of time until I either find one that already exists, or one is created.

A few tweaks to a number of products that are already available is all it would take. For example:

- Mixtikl: needs aif support.

- Looptastic: needs to be able to play one-shot clip to it's end, & not chop the end off at a time-measurement (1 bar, 2 bars, etc) as it currently does.

- Sonoma Wire Works: needs import function.

Also need to support the names of the files I already have as opossed to a character limit on imported files.

These seem like minor tweaks, but I'm not a developer, so I really don't know!

All I want is a multitrack mixer for random length, primarily un-looping audio files that I can load on the fly! :?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Version 1.3 of chipPad was released by Apple. You can check out a video of the new "Scenes" feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFK2DkLcW0 or find more info at http://earsmack.com

Thanks!

earsmack

Re: chipPad for iPad now 2.99!

Post by earsmack » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:22 pm

chipPad for iPad is now 2.99 (40% off) for a limited time!

Here is a promo code for version 1.3: NJWR9PYA7XPH

Enjoy!