What does electronic music mean to you?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
BoxDJ

What does electronic music mean to you?

Post by BoxDJ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 am

What does electronic music mean to you? In what ways it is expressive and soulful?

For example, Jazz music is where the rules are constantly broken. Jazz is like having a conversation with someone, it shows the listener what the artist is thinking and feeling. A very cool genre in my opinion.

What would you say about electronic music though? A representation of the present, the future, the technology world? Lets hear your thoughts.

:mrgreen:

the_antagonist

Re: What does electronic music mean to you?

Post by the_antagonist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 am

BoxDJ wrote:What does electronic music mean to you? In what ways it is expressive and soulful?

For example, Jazz music is where the rules are constantly broken. Jazz is like having a conversation with someone, it shows the listener what the artist is thinking and feeling. A very cool genre in my opinion.

What would you say about electronic music though? A representation of the present, the future, the technology world? Lets hear your thoughts.

:mrgreen:
an exploration of texture

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:46 am

I Just listen to it and leave it at that.
Drums

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:52 am

the notion of electronic music is very vague these days...

pop/rock bands such as Nickelback have proven this:

http://www.holybass.ca/shitz/nickelbacksucksballs.mp3

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:22 pm

for me its always been about inner reflection, personal discovery and nature. I find music without lyrics to be far more personal and exciting than some person i dont know putting words and thoughts into my head. Electronic music for me is the logical extension of classical music. It requires intelligence and expertise and at its very best is subtle and emotive.

Personally i'd class any music with lyrics as pop music, wether its using synths or guitars or vuvuzelas . Doesn't mean its bad, i just prefer to think for myself and have a strong connection with nature rather than a weak bond with the collective.

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Energy & creativity, stimulating imagination & progressive thinking. Also, it just sounds so damn good!
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Emissary wrote:for me its always been about inner reflection, personal discovery and nature. I find music without lyrics to be far more personal and exciting than some person i dont know putting words and thoughts into my head. Electronic music for me is the logical extension of classical music. It requires intelligence and expertise and at its very best is subtle and emotive.

Personally i'd class any music with lyrics as pop music, wether its using synths or guitars or vuvuzelas . Doesn't mean its bad, i just prefer to think for myself and have a strong connection with nature rather than a weak bond with the collective.
lol... what a load of pompous shit.

And when you're connecting strongly with nature, do you plug your computer into an electricity tree ? must be great connecting to nature through electronic music on electronic machines powered by electricity trees.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm

BoxDJ wrote:What does electronic music mean to you?

seriously, what is considered "electronic music" for the benefit of this discussion? Synth-based music, any instrumental music made with a DAW?

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:30 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
BoxDJ wrote:What does electronic music mean to you?

seriously, what is considered "electronic music" for the benefit of this discussion? Synth-based music, any instrumental music made with a DAW?

+1. The question doesn't make sense. You are comparing a genre, Jazz, to how music is created. Jazz can also be produced "electronically". It's all Music FFS!
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:36 pm

guys, isn't it pretty obvious what he's referring to ... ?

He's hardly referring to instrumental music tracked electronically.

think synths, drum machines, step sequencers and FX.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:41 pm

dum wrote:think synths, drum machines, step sequencers and FX.
that could mean Italo-disco, industrial, hip-hop, house, etc...

"electronic music" is too vague...
same thing as "jazz", that could mean swing, hardbop, freejazz, which are all very different.

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:42 pm

dum wrote:guys, isn't it pretty obvious what he's referring to ... ?

He's hardly referring to instrumental music tracked electronically.

think synths, drum machines, step sequencers and FX.
Well in that case, I'd like to change my answer to nature.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
dum wrote:think synths, drum machines, step sequencers and FX.
that could mean Italo-disco, industrial, hip-hop, house, etc...
well...of course. Ya. 'electronic music' is an umbrella term. I just think it's pretty obvious he's referring to electronic sub-genres... not the super-duper hyper-literal this-question-is-flawed-and-thus-impossible-to-answer "anything that involves an electrical component is electronic music" definition...

He's not looking for the perfect answer, just whichever one applies to you...

my personal answer would be a big +1 to cryptic uk :P

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm

I also agree with Cryptic UK, and I understand what you mean by
"super-duper hyper-literal this-question-is-flawed-and-thus-impossible-to-answer", that's not where I was going.

Even the general subgenres still have different purposes, I don't listen to techno (or dance music in general) for the same reasons I'd listen to Clark-type laidback stuff, or noisy ambient like Ben Frost (which also uses many acoustic instruments).

Basically I just wanted more precision on the question for the benefit of the discussion, not necessarly say that the question is flawed. This is the lounge, after all, anything goes.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 pm

MacGuffin wrote:I also agree with Cryptic UK, and I understand what you mean by
"super-duper hyper-literal this-question-is-flawed-and-thus-impossible-to-answer", that's not where I was going.

Even the general subgenres still have different purposes, I don't listen to techno (or dance music in general) for the same reasons I'd listen to Clark-type laidback stuff, or noisy ambient like Ben Frost (which also uses many acoustic instruments).

Basically I just wanted more precision on the question for the benefit of the discussion, not necessarly say that the question is flawed. This is the lounge, after all, anything goes.

ok, well, what does clark-type laidback stuff mean to you ?
(and the same goes for noisy ambient stuff like ben frost)

bonus points if you can answer without using the words Immerse Inner Outer Connect Subconscious