Reaktor 5.5 Public Beta !!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Reaktor 5.5 Public Beta !!

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 pm

ITT: dum assumes that any contradicting evidence to his opinions is a personal attack and throws out the gay comments.
OK so that's most threads. :P

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:Apparently sequenced synths in Reaktor are syncing well with the host software tempo in the 5.5 update which is about as cool as can be...
That is certainly good news. I've had problems with a few of the R5 sequencers. There is a poster in NI forum who confirmed syncing improvements with .5
NI Forum Post
Terrence Lennon

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote: :P
ya, that's right - get your gobble on.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

5meohd

Post by 5meohd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:32 pm

i love the new gui!

I have a question though... at first I was uber stoked when I realized I could use live's awesome plug-in macro mapping with an .ens but then i realized its only with the factory .ens or ones that have been setup properly? I guess? (and this may very well have been possible before I just forgot)

so the question is.. how does one go in and make knobs and buttons have that capability?

this is sooooo necessary for all apc40 users I would think?

mostly I've been trying to work beatlookup in to my live rig and want to have "device control" over it...

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 pm

you've gone 'wow' about lazerbass twice, and you've bumped a thread about electronic instruments vol 1&2....
why wouldn't I..? It's an amazing ensemble, which I could never patch myself..
I just bumped that thread to be helpful to the OP who wanted to buy Electronic Instruments 2..
don't see what that has to do with anything?

assuming you're a patcher, I'd have assumed the new synthesis modules would have gotten you more excited. But no, until I joined you were posting alot like a dime-a-dozen patch consumer.
come on.. first minute excitement without even having explored all new features..
Perhaps you're aware of where R5 is lacking on the workflow front, but that hardly means you personally are troubled by those shortcomings.?
:? whateva..

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:34 pm

It's all good guys! The update is free! GUI improved! Two new types of synthesis! EI1 and 2! Lazerbass! A bunch of imporvements I'll never even know about! The update is free!

Let's be happy!

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 pm

5meohd wrote:i love the new gui!

I have a question though... at first I was uber stoked when I realized I could use live's awesome plug-in macro mapping with an .ens but then i realized its only with the factory .ens or ones that have been setup properly? I guess? (and this may very well have been possible before I just forgot)

so the question is.. how does one go in and make knobs and buttons have that capability?
Go into the properties for that knob/slider/what have you and activate MIDI in. Then, either hard assign the controller from that page or learn it.

You'll also need an in-range automation ID. Make sure that the automation ID's enabled (bottom of the same page as activate MIDI in), and in the instrument's properties, make the max ID at least equal to if not greater than the max ID in use. Sorting and compressing IDs also helps here.

ew

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:43 pm

abluesky wrote:It's all good guys! The update is free! GUI improved! Two new types of synthesis! EI1 and 2! Lazerbass! A bunch of imporvements I'll never even know about! The update is free!

Let's be happy!
:!:

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm

just noticed we almost had the new GUI right there under our nose months ago with Spark & CHA-OSC.. 8)

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 am

ewistrand wrote:
5meohd wrote:i love the new gui!

Go into the properties for that knob/slider/what have you and activate MIDI in. Then, either hard assign the controller from that page or learn it.

You'll also need an in-range automation ID. Make sure that the automation ID's enabled (bottom of the same page as activate MIDI in), and in the instrument's properties, make the max ID at least equal to if not greater than the max ID in use. Sorting and compressing IDs also helps here.

ew
ew,
unless I am miss-understanding your solution, you can skip the midi assignments. You just need automation IDs and make sure they are in range. When I make instruments that other people will use, I purposely do these clean up things:

#remove all midi assignments except special ones like mod, pb (better to let users midi learn stuff themselves if they want)
§check tool tips for all visible controls (ideally infos on top level macros and ports with names being reused)
#by hand add automation IDs to controls in order of importance so that they show up in a coherent order
#make sure the automation ID range is good, as you explained
(if you are lazy, sort and compress IDs usually will cover the last two steps with a less usable order, but if you only automate using the GUI, then it's ok)
§credits in the instrument info (was anything borrowed, was their collaboration)
§make sure view A and B are correct
§get rid of any unwanted panel sets

(Be aware that controls moved internally with internal midi or IC will not get recorded to the host automation, you got use your mouse, live macro, or external midi. Not too sure about OSC.)

For myself, I load the .ens in a Live rack and save it with that instrument name to a folder for that use case (e.g. bass synth, granular effect, etc).

Hope that helps.

Paradigm X

Post by Paradigm X » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 am

Wonder why people are assuming R6 is years away?

Kontakt 3 got a pretty major update just before K4 came out, and what with the summer sales, my money is on a Komplete 7 in a few months...
Q6600 : 4gb corsair : 3x 320gb seagate drive 1x 1TB WD Caviar Black : Abit AB9 Pro Mobo : Focusrite Pro 24 DSP : 1xUAD2 Quad, 1xUAD2Duo : Windows 7 x64 : Novation Remote Zero SL : Novation Launchpad : NI Komplete 5 : Cubase 5.5.1 : Ableton 8.1.5

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm

Soma wrote:ew,
unless I am miss-understanding your solution, you can skip the midi assignments. You just need automation IDs and make sure they are in range. When I make instruments that other people will use, I purposely do these clean up things:

#remove all midi assignments except special ones like mod, pb (better to let users midi learn stuff themselves if they want)
§check tool tips for all visible controls (ideally infos on top level macros and ports with names being reused)
#by hand add automation IDs to controls in order of importance so that they show up in a coherent order
#make sure the automation ID range is good, as you explained
(if you are lazy, sort and compress IDs usually will cover the last two steps with a less usable order, but if you only automate using the GUI, then it's ok)
§credits in the instrument info (was anything borrowed, was their collaboration)
§make sure view A and B are correct
§get rid of any unwanted panel sets

(Be aware that controls moved internally with internal midi or IC will not get recorded to the host automation, you got use your mouse, live macro, or external midi. Not too sure about OSC.)

For myself, I load the .ens in a Live rack and save it with that instrument name to a folder for that use case (e.g. bass synth, granular effect, etc).

Hope that helps.
If you're just talking host automation- yeah, all you need is IDs for each activated and your IDs in range.
And, OSC won't work here; OSC isn't supported in Reaktor as a plugin; only as a standalone.

ew

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:05 pm

I just started preset surfing with the R5.5 beta... 8O so much input.
Strange thing: if I switch a preset, the Monitormode for the Reaktor 5-track switches from "IN" to "AUTO"...is that some kind of bug in Live 8.13? It's quite annoying having to switch the Monitormode each time... any solutions/tips/workarounds?

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Paradigm X wrote:Wonder why people are assuming R6 is years away?

Kontakt 3 got a pretty major update just before K4 came out, and what with the summer sales, my money is on a Komplete 7 in a few months...
I am thinking the same thing, esp with the new features on Battery 3 (in beta).
Perhaps it will be Battery 4 and Reaktor 6 in Komplete 7.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:52 pm

Poster wrote:
you've gone 'wow' about lazerbass twice, and you've bumped a thread about electronic instruments vol 1&2....
why wouldn't I..? It's an amazing ensemble, which I could never patch myself..
I just bumped that thread to be helpful to the OP who wanted to buy Electronic Instruments 2..
don't see what that has to do with anything?
Not much, just holding you to your own flimsy standards in logic. Kinda rich that you write me off as having no patching inclinations because I found your R6 wishlist less exciting than this free .5 update, when I never even mentioned the included pre-assembled content ...and you were all about it.
Poster wrote:
assuming you're a patcher, I'd have assumed the new synthesis modules would have gotten you more excited. But no, until I joined you were posting alot like a dime-a-dozen patch consumer.
come on.. first minute excitement without even having explored all new features..
Just holding you to your own standards homie. And what was that you said about boring contributions ?
Poster wrote:Lazerbass 8)
Poster wrote:Lazerbass.. 8O seriously.. 8O
Poster wrote: :? whateva..
Agreed.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.