asdfghjkl GROUND LOOP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funky shit

Re: asdfghjkl GROUND LOOP

Post by funky shit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 am

Tone Deft wrote:ahh cool.

still, the same concept applies. you can diagnose ground loops by taking a length of wire and touching the case of one device to another. when the buzz goes away then you know which bits of gear aren't playing together nicely. just be sure you're actually touching the metal casing, without paint, anodizing and all that.
cheers. will try that

robnotrob

Post by robnotrob » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:49 am

This is the solution.

Get an extention cable that can accommodate all your equipemnt, open up the plug and take the wire out of the ground pin, wrap it in insulating tape, close the plug back up.

Basically what you're doing is creating a power supply where the ground is separate from the rest of your home/studio

stating with you the speakers, then the moog, plug each of your pieces of equipment into the extension, this way you can identify if the loop is caused by another piece of equipment (my monitor was the cause for me), once you've identified the culprit plug this into a normal plug socket keep the rest of your gear on the extension.

I've been using this solution for 10 years now...

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 pm

What dangers lurk if i remove the ground pin from my moog?

couldn't care if i die, just dont want to break the moog.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm

that third prong (ground fault protection aka GFP) is there in case of a catastrophic accident. suppose you spill a beer (a very very large beer) on your Moog while you're playing it and the liquid shorts your skin to the high voltage side of the power supply. electricity wants to take the path of least resistance, your beer soaked skin has a certain resistance (ohms) and the GFP has a certain resistance which is MUCH lower, so some electricity will flow through you but most all of it will hit the GFP.

so, it's only there for really major fcuk ups that most of us will never come close to committing to begin with.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 pm

so i should just get rid of it and not drink beer beside the moog :lol:

fx23

Post by fx23 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 pm

I would remove the earth. when i got noize with laptops i just made a special plug with no earth, plugin, no more noizes.

there are very minor risks to get electrical shocks is the unit is in good condition.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:28 pm

fx23 wrote:I would remove the earth. when i got noize with laptops i just made a special plug with no earth, plugin, no more noizes.

there are very minor risks to get electrical shocks is the unit is in good condition.
extremely good condition

so its just if i touch/spill shit with electricity flowing through it im screwed.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 pm

hehe yup, sure, I took the risk from a long time, never got shocked, but who knows..

unless you often open the unit there are no reasons a wire would unsold itself and get contact with metal cover, the main 230VAC
is quicly converted to low DC, so Imo risks are quasi inexistant, and i twice received 220v while running motors and I just got
shocked for 5mn, any modern electrical installation will instant cut power normally.
between i don't want to be held responsible for a fried man by the way lol.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:53 pm

:lol:

long as my beauty dosn't blow up and not work im fine.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 am

another noob question.
the audio cables coming from mr moog.. any danger?

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 pm

sorted 8)

Trial

Post by Trial » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:36 am

funky shit wrote:nice ^
about the monitors buzz - if i remove the firewire cable from the mixer, the buzz goes away. if i do something different on the computer, it might change frequency. for example.. open a website which runs flash, or open up ableton.
For the cables that connect your audio gear to your PC via Firewire/USB are you using the supplied cables? All USB cables are not created equal, and if I don't use the supplied able with my Novation Nio 2/4 I get that exact same thing. If the cable isn't giving out the right amount of resistance I believe you hear humming based on what the processor is doing.

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... php?id=376