Does Apogee One record vocals in stereo into Live...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Does Apogee One record vocals in stereo into Live...?

Post by lolalola » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Or not? This is what I get, in the left channel :

sparklepuff

Re: Does Apogee One record vocals in stereo into Live...?

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Only if you are using two microphones. What input is your mic plugged into? 1? 2? I'm guessing just one of those, yet you've got channels 1 and 2 selected as your input for that channel. Click the drop down and just select the channel your mic is on.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 am

Will it matter not being stereo? My UX2 recorded in stereo vocals..

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:16 am

No, it doesn't matter, but you will want to think about if you want a wider sounding vocal, you can have two vocal tracks playing, one panned left, and one panned right, to create some width. Also a variety of other less transparent means of getting a "stereo" vocal from a mono recording.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:34 am

the apogee one only has single-channel input, so no, you cannot.

LightFireSound

Post by LightFireSound » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:19 pm

In session view you can choose what channels to record I think (I'm not 100% cause i'm at work) change it to just 1 or 2 which ever one your using, not both and it will put everything right.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 pm

When I had the Line6 UX2, that would split the vocal into stereo.. ?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 pm

lolalola wrote:When I had the Line6 UX2, that would split the vocal into stereo.. ?
well i doubt it, it was most probably not real stereo, just split into left and right channel...

how do you record into live, input 1 or 1-2 or what...

does the apogee card has some mixer panel where you can change settings, also what mic do you use, is it actually a stereo mic? 95% of mics are mono anyways... here is what i would do... record on a mono input either in 1 or 2 in live, and if you need them on two channels to widen them or whatever, just duplicate the recorded vocal then you can pan them left / right and apply a bit different delays etc... to widen them, if you don't want that in your face center sound, which is usually good for leads...
*** Image GAFM ***

slirak

Post by slirak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Here's how it works.

By default Live sets up The Apogee One with one stereo input AND two mono inputs, even though it's really a single mono input device.

If you have it set up this way, you'll be able to choose between three inputs from One, when you record in Live.

If you choose input 1/2, Live will treat it as a stereo source, but since it's really just a mono source, you'll end up with the right hand channel empty. That's what your screen dump shows.

You can disable the "stereo" inputs in Live's preferences, there's no use for them with the Apogee One.

If you pick input 2, you'll end up with all silence. Would be nice to be able to disable that input too, but you can't. In Live 9 perhaps?

Doesn't really matter though, as long as you stick to input 1, you'll get a nice mono wave file, no empty right channel:

If you for some reason would wan't to record the Apogee's input in "stereo", you still can. Just route like in the picture below. Not much point though, you'll only end up with a stereo file where the left and right hand waves are identical:

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Cheers guys!

Yeah, this is what I had before with the UX2, hence my confusion :

B-S

Post by B-S » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:10 pm

indeed your're recording dual-mono, left/right chanell have same information, unless you have 2 mics which would be a stereo recording ;-]

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Ok, - now I'm just getting a horrible clicking sound ... my input mic level in the Apogee Maestro software only need be 20 or above (see circled below, though there it's all the way up) and I just can't get a vocal recording without it. When the microphone is unplugged I even get the same clicking... ?? The clicking sound is only there when the track is armed to record.
Here's a wav file of the sound :

http://drop.io/apogeeclicks

slirak

Post by slirak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 pm

lolalola wrote:Ok, - now I'm just getting a horrible clicking sound ... my input mic level in the Apogee Maestro software only need be 20 or above (see circled below, though there it's all the way up) and I just can't get a vocal recording without it. When the microphone is unplugged I even get the same clicking... ?? The clicking sound is only there when the track is armed to record.

Try restarting your Mac. My One acts up in weird ways sometimes. Probably a driver issue. I suspect the latest driver, it worked fine over here using the original one and OS 10.5x, but you need the latest one if you're on 10.6x (and I am).

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:46 pm

slirak wrote:
lolalola wrote:Ok, - now I'm just getting a horrible clicking sound ... my input mic level in the Apogee Maestro software only need be 20 or above (see circled below, though there it's all the way up) and I just can't get a vocal recording without it. When the microphone is unplugged I even get the same clicking... ?? The clicking sound is only there when the track is armed to record.

Try restarting your Mac. My One acts up in weird ways sometimes. Probably a driver issue. I suspect the latest driver, it worked fine over here using the original one and OS 10.5x, but you need the latest one if you're on 10.6x (and I am).

You mean the Apogee/Maestro drivers? I'm using 10.5.8 - it was fine recording vocals this morning, so I suspect/hope you could be right...

slirak

Post by slirak » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 am

lolalola wrote:You mean the Apogee/Maestro drivers?
Yep. Seems a bit flaky. Or it's something with my Mac. Didn't do a clean install when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. 8O