OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Off to Seattle's Colonnade Mtn bike park myself, i need to unwind and launch myself into the air after a hard days work :wink:
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 am

Just got back from a neat little nighttime ride all by myself. So nice.

Low traffic (including cars, bikes, and pedestrian... except for the bridges. Still plenty of people walking and cycling, but definitely less hectic than the daytime), not as hot, lovely nighttime skyline sights, plus plenty of alone time to be able to ride my own way and be alone with my emo thoughts without having to worry about someone getting left out of the pack, or having to engage in conversation.

Feels good man

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:34 am

Don't forget, it starts today...

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:07 am

The tour in crashes: http://is.gd/djJpP - crazy start this year.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:00 pm

the tour is scary, they crash like everyday!

shudders,

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:27 pm

8O wrote:The tour in crashes: http://is.gd/djJpP - crazy start this year.
holy shit. Injury-ridden tour. Serious business.

That 3-pic sequence at the end kind of made me LOL / cringe at the same time :lol:

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Lance out of contention, Wiggins and Evans too. Just Schleck left to stop this being a walkover... :?

Due to all the crashes, this is the last year that they'll be allowed to ride paper-light frames and racing wheels, next year, everyone's riding these:

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfiBbZJTx9s - the ever affable Jens Voigt after crashing this year

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Saw this in Bend, OR last year, you can hook your dog up to the side to provide the power.

Tarekith

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:42 am

how about a bump?

I had to post in this thread sooner or later, I've been cycling like a fiend this summer, over 2,300 miles since February, 200+ miles a week for the last month or two. this thread was good mojo to get me going a year ago, I'm doing twice the rides I was doing then. best part is that I've only bought 7 tanks of gas in 2010, last one was for carrying the bike on the car to get to rides like the one below. my driver's license and registration expired a while back, I had to renew them so I could get to Saturday's Century ride, the irony.

Aqua Tek - props, but you should always carry an extra tube, pump, tire irons and maybe CO2 (a 16g cartridge will put an empty 700c x 23 tire from flat to 115psi in a matter of seconds.) I also carry a pressure gauge, it all fits in a compact bike bag. flats are rare but they come in waves. it's a key part of group riding. you watch your own game and help the other riders out, or you walk home together, props to your friends for that. get this down and you can ride faster, further and safer as a pack. also, helping a stranger with a flat is always good for a few laughs.

Tarekith - seen this one yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2Dpe1LkNU <-- Get Dirty, from the same guy that did 'Performance.'
"shit cost me 6 g's, I crash it into trees..."

here's a sample of the rides I've been doing. I've been all over Marin, Sonoma and San Mateo counties, east bay too. man, the stuff I've seen, a-maaaazing, what a summer. I've also been riding with a really great group of riders, been learning TONS about the sport.

Woodside - Half Moon Bay - Tunitas Creek Road

95 miles, 5,300 feet of climbing, 13.3 avg, 6:52 rolling time. first time doing this route.

8:30am - rolled out from the parking lot at Edgewood and Canada Rd.

as I'm waking up I realize we're rolling through redwood and pine tree lined country homes on a flat shaded rural road. mostly horse farms and the occasional home owned by Silicon Valley's ridiculously rich. being half asleep on the bike waking up like this is pretty amazing. just the sound of your friends' bike chains spinning, your legs on automatic, riding 'chainless' and the fresh open air.

then a steep 3 mile climb up Old La Honda Road (miles 6-9 on the map). my friends telling me it's a local tradition to time trial the hill. apparently Eric Heiden (Speed Skating Gold Medalist) has the record in the low 20 minute mark or whatever. I didn't time my run but out of respect I rode it hard. halfway up the climb you see a side road called 'Upenuff Rd'. a loop road whose other end you see 3/4 of the way up, reminding you TWICE the climb was 'up-enough' already.

then 17 miles of 28-35 mph downhill, passed by maybe 10 cars the whole time. SEVENTEEN MILES OF DOWNHILL!!

looking back up the end of the downhill section. the top half was a little steeper and covered by redwoods. all of it was tall chainring, soft pedaling and gentle curves, no braking to speed check needed.

then he hit Hwy 1 for a few miles north to Half Moon Bay.

the fog made for perfect weather. my friends up ahead. saw lots of deer this day. (road hazard!)

right at the Hay Bail Labyrinth off of Hwy 1 (the one with the HUGE gorilla at the entrance) and onto Purisimo Rd.

looking down on Purisimo Rd where we entered the valley, ocean in the far background. I like the red barn in this shot.

looking to the top of Purisimo Rd.

lunch at The San Benito Deli on Main St in Half Moon Bay. AMAZING bread on the sandwiches. quality find, even an outdoor patio where we could eat next to the bikes.

chips are good for salt replacement.

south again on Hwy 1. east on Tunitas Creek Road. stopped at the Bike Hut. this place is amazing. water, coffee, tubes, food all on the honor system. good juju in this place.

http://potreronuevofarm.org/thebikehut.html

then UP UP UP Tunitas Creek Rd.

10 miles of climbing, classic Redwood forest ride. the bottom third is like this. the middle third is MUCH steeper, the top third is a little mellower. ALL of it was jaw dropping redwoods, moss covered cliffs and the only traffic was a few pickup trucks that were working on the road.

FUN 20 minutes or so of curvy downhill on Kings Mountain Road then 15 flat miles north along the reservoirs and back to make 90 something miles. ready for the Marin Century this weekend. woot!

my baby, a Bianchi Infinito. an amazing ride.

glory story... mile 93.5, my distance PR to date, legs FRIED. I see the last small hill in the distance and a rider a few hundred feet in front of me. I spin up, catch and pass him, some guy on a Colnago with aero bars, probably a triathalete. halfway up the hill I see his front wheel out of the corner of my left eye. I spin up, GO GO GO!! just before the crest of the hill he drops off and mutters 'bitch!' I coast to the car, WIN! I never take those things seriously because you never know how far the other guy has ridden that day, well, I know he wasn't riding since 8:30 am that day, no way.

back at the car by 4:30. good day.

doing my first Century on Saturday and am looking at signing up for longer rides.

get out and RIDE!

oh, and FWIW I picked up one of these, in black.
http://usb.brando.com/usb-multi-functio ... 33d15.html
slip it in your pocket and you can hear traffic and music at the same time. I can't stand riding with earbuds, the wind noise blocks out the music, the music blocks out the cars. not to mention it's illegal.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 am

Been doing about 100 miles a week on the road bike, but mainly working on jumping the mtn bike this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQo58VJQDEQ&sns=em
Tarekith

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 pm

dang your tone you just destroyed my image of you..
i guess your not a cheeseburger eating over weight 14 year old after all :D

personally i have decided to retire from pedicabing
i sold my cab but i'm going to ride through SXSW in march then i'm done.
my first year i broke the highest earned in a day record so i need to do that again this season :)
so one last season and i'm done... i just can't deal with the sober and drunk douche bags any more.

i am going to attempt to organize a block party
my target date is the first Saturday of April
my devious plan is to guise my retirement party as a massive Austin bike event :twisted:

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:58 pm

^^^ Great write up and photos, TD. How did the Marin Century go?

I've just come back from the World Hardcourt Bike Polo Championships, held in Berlin this year. Final was Chicago vs Milwaukee... Milwaukee were the deserved winners... Great atmosphere and a fantastic spectator sport...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Just cooling down from 45 miles on the road bike in 95 F heat. Ungh.
Tarekith

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh, just checked this...
... 8) 8) 8)