Good Studio Monitors for simple home studio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FenderBluesAAA

Good Studio Monitors for simple home studio

Post by FenderBluesAAA » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 am

I recently bought a Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 and would like to start recording. I have everything setup except for speakers.

Does any one know any good studio monitors that I can buy for a cheap price. I need a pair for under $200.

I was looking at these: Numark MPM5: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark-NPM5 ... 1482791.gc
I'm not sure if these are a good choice though.

What are some monitors you would recommend.

I don't know anything about monitors so any help would be appreciated.

contakt321

Re: Good Studio Monitors for simple home studio

Post by contakt321 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:24 am

For that price, I think a used pair of KRK RP5 or Alesis Monitor 1's might be a better buy.

If you are on a budget, I highly recommend buying used, and recommend not skimping on monitors. You can't mix what you can't hear.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 am

^ what he said. monitors are VERY important.

what area of the world are you in, maybe people can help you scope out used monitors online.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

FenderBluesAAA

Post by FenderBluesAAA » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 am

I'm in the USA but could a used monitor be bad. for example the speakers are messed up. I don't want the sound distorting when I turn up the volume.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 am

I don't mean this in any disrespectful way, but I think you may benefit from reading about monitors. Do some searching on this forum and others, I think you will learn a lot of things that seem a bit strange the first time you read them. Some advice you will read and time and time again:

- Treating your room is very important so you can hear clearly
- Getting to know your monitors, their strengths and their weaknesses so you know how to mix is crucial
- In general, you should do your monitoring at mid to mid-low levels for the most accurate mix

Don't take my word for it, do some searching for inexpensive monitors on this or any board you frequent, and people much smarter and more experienced than I will give you more insight into why this is true.

If you live in or near a decent sized city, check out Craigslist, and find the appropriate model and test them out, additionally, if you buy Ebay from someone w/ good feedback, your risks are minimized.

I wouldn't advise anything less expensive/quality than the Alesis M1 or KRK RP5, because it just isn't worth it - if you need to spend less, I would tough it out w/ good headphones until you can afford something a bit nicer because you will outgrow those Numarks quicker than you think.

flippo

Post by flippo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 am

well built monitors should last a very very long time and be quite resilient. I dont personally like KRK's but they are a respected company no-the-less and I'm sure they have reasonable enough build quality that second hand should not be an issue generally. Maybe quiz the seller on what they were used for if you're still concerned?

If it's someone producing ambient you're probably pretty safe.

If it is a drum n bass DJ that has after-parties in their studio untill the wee hours then they may have been red-lined on more than a few occasions, heh.

I think most active monitors have safety systems that will shut own the amp if things reach a certain threashold, too. At least I know mine do.

General advice from monitors is I wouldn't buy any unless I had given them a solid listen. So, even if you are buying second hand I'd still take the time to check them out in-store and get to know what you do and don't like. It's one thing to get to know your monitors, but if you don't like their character to start with you've got your work cut out for you even more.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:36 am

Agreed, save up a little more or try and find some used Alesis M1's, probably the best bang for the buck in your price range.

FenderBluesAAA

Post by FenderBluesAAA » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:41 am

I'll probably buy used but I'm worried they might not work.

parma

Post by parma » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:41 am

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:06 am

There you go.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:19 am

I think KRK's are pretty awesome, if you can get some RP5 G2s IMO they are slightly better (but cost a tad more) than the Alesis but all of these are fine and everyone will have different tastes.

If you step up to the next range of monitor around $400 a pair you have even more choice of decent monitors, such as Adam A5s, JBL LSR2325Ps, Yamaha HS50s, Mackie MR5/8 etc.

So many choices. I can't say I've ever heard the Numark monitors so I don't know if they are comparable to other established choiced.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

IP

Post by IP » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 am

bit out offtopic ...
now that i see your 5" suggestions

i think would be cool as second pair or for "mountain productions" (on the road)

i have an invitation from a friend to go to a small village for a few days to relax but i was thinking what will happen without music!

so with a laptop - a mini interface (or even asio4all) and a pair of 5" monitor (and a launchpad :mrgreen: ) ill be set!

B-S

Post by B-S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 am

personally i would try to avoid alesis m1s. i know what i am talking about as I owned them (more owners of a1s here, i guess). The sound is really blured, bass is all over the place, no definition, very ear fatiguing too.

i dont think there will be somerthing better for the price, so how hard is wait few months and spend some extra cash on something which will server much better and last for longer time???

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am

B-S wrote:personally i would try to avoid alesis m1s. i know what i am talking about as I owned them (more owners of a1s here, i guess). The sound is really blured, bass is all over the place, no definition, very ear fatiguing too.
I have the M1 Active MK2's and I totally disagree. Set up correctly, as described in the manual, they sound open, clear and neutral.

Of course they won't compete with Adams or Focals or Genelecs, but in their price range (especially second hand) I think they're amazing VFM.

B-S

Post by B-S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:43 pm

twisted-space wrote:
B-S wrote:personally i would try to avoid alesis m1s. i know what i am talking about as I owned them (more owners of a1s here, i guess). The sound is really blured, bass is all over the place, no definition, very ear fatiguing too.
I have the M1 Active MK2's and I totally disagree. Set up correctly, as described in the manual, they sound open, clear and neutral.
Any speaker should be ready out of the box. No need for any additional eqing which mainly ends in fact your records will lack something, bass or hiend, whatever and will not translate well to other systems.
I was on them for 3 years, man so i really know what i am talking about. After I moved to A7s, it was like day and night. Definition, stereo placements, depth, ear fatigue, all incomparable to Alesis.

Indeed, i'm not gonna force anyone to not buy them, just adding my experience. peace.