Best way to use sampled synth sounds?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ItsAPandemic

Best way to use sampled synth sounds?

Post by ItsAPandemic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:59 am

So ive been dabbing with already recorded sampled synth sounds like the moog and Juno since I dont own those hardware synths. However, when I plug them into Simpler or sampler and try to play notes I get a weird cut sound after the clip is finished. It sounds like its being looped or sampled. These are purchased professional samples so I figure they should be able to be looped and played on a keyboard correctly. Ive tried decreasing the length, with snap on and off, messed with LFO's and filters, with still no success. Does anyone have any tips or techniques to make the sound more fluid? Thanks

danabus

Re: Best way to use sampled synth sounds?

Post by danabus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:34 pm

ItsAPandemic wrote:It sounds like its being looped or sampled.
a sound you put in sampler sounds sampled? hmmm.... anyway make sure the start and end points are on zero-crossings or you might get clicks. Leave sampler's settings on default until you get rid of your problems then turn on LFOs, looping, etc

ItsAPandemic

Post by ItsAPandemic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 pm

danabus wrote:
ItsAPandemic wrote:It sounds like its being looped or sampled.
a sound you put in sampler sounds sampled?
Thats not how I was meaning it, I was talking about the clicks. and I have been trying to make sure its all at zero crossing, I guess ill try and do a better job if thats what works the best.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Do those samples come in different preset formats? Do you load the samples individually, or do you open a compiled file that loads the samples into Sampler automatically as a preset? And if so, what formats do you have available for that?

ItsAPandemic

Post by ItsAPandemic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:13 am

yur2die4 wrote:Do those samples come in different preset formats? Do you load the samples individually, or do you open a compiled file that loads the samples into Sampler automatically as a preset? And if so, what formats do you have available for that?
they're in a wav format so ive just been throwing them into simpler or sampler. so ya ive just been loading individually.

for example, ive been trying to use the Xfer moog bass F and with the sound that is suitable ive been throwing it into either simpler or sampler. But I get clicks or abrupt endings. nothing that can be looped or used in a line. I figured since this is a professional recording this would be possible. anybody have success with other methods?