Are you rocking a mac or a pc?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which came first & what you on now?

I have owned a mac in the past but Im now on pc!
7%
Once I went mac there was no going back!
26%
Ive always been Pc!
33%
Ive always been mac!
12%
I have both but prefer pc!
6%
I have both but prefer mac!
18%

Total votes: 181

Radio Arcade

Re: Are you rocking a mac or a pc?

Post by Radio Arcade » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:29 am

I use windows/linux in work every day running various tasks/dbs (Oracle/SQL). I like using them for my 'IT Work' but thats as far as it goes. For making beats & browsing the web I think the mac experience is 2nd to none.

Any important DB is on linux/oracle and the none so important are sql on windows. (unix based being more solid)

I have always found no matter how much time I spend configuring/building a custom pc and stick on windows im always gonna get 'program not responding' maybe once/twice a week. Now thats not a lot to be fair compared with other windows build but its still 1/2 times more than on a macbook with half the power...

:)
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

solitarypartygroover

Post by solitarypartygroover » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:34 am

TheMechanism wrote:Macs being overpriced is a complete myth.
Compare the hardware, build quality, and you will find that they are actually very good value for money. Not to mention OSX is cheap to buy and it has great integration with the computer hardware inside.
Well the integration thing may be true. But great hardware ? Are you saying that the i5 processor they put in their MacBook is somehow better than the i7 I got with my Dell ? Are you saying that their 4GB of RAM is somehow better than my 6GB ? And their 5,400 RPM hard disk is going to perform faster than my 7,200 RPM ? The only thing I can see from Apple's website that is better is that their batteries appear to last much, much longer.

cynetmedia

Post by cynetmedia » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:22 am

Funny how this was not supposed to be a mac vs pc thing but it turns out to be in the end. The bottom line is are you making music or not? The hardware you use is irrelevant. Reminds me of the Hardware vs software tards and their whole nonsense. If you have the patience and skill to build a solid PC system you can have something amazingly stable and functional for less money. If your lazy (like me) and you don't feel like fucking around building shit you buy a Mac - all the parts work and it's stable as well. It's really a personal preference. It's a fucking argument that can never be won and personally I'm sick of hearing about it.

Here is the pertinent question - how's your music? fuck how and what you made it with....

Bee Dub

Post by Bee Dub » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:24 am

crofter wrote:Macs are probably perfectly usable, just don't like em, sold by cunts, used by tossers.
love this comment.

i use a mac, but i have no problems using my pc as well. speed of the computer should be the priority, you can build a BADASS PC or you can pay a shit ton of money for a quality mac...

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:38 am

Pitch Black wrote:its very important that we solve this issue... once and for all
:lol:

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Bee Dub wrote:
crofter wrote:Macs are probably perfectly usable, just don't like em, sold by cunts, used by tossers.
love this comment.

i use a mac, but i have no problems using my pc as well. speed of the computer should be the priority, you can build a BADASS PC or you can pay a shit ton of money for a quality mac...
+1

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Radio Arcade wrote:Q for the guys who moved to PC or prefer it.

What's your reasons for this?

Cheers 8)
For me at least: I loved Macs and used them from OS 7 to OS 9. In fact the main reason I updated to OS 9 was because of Reason. But when OS X came out and basically it appeared that I was going to need to repurchase everything I used for it, I asked myself: why not look into PCs? Never missed the Mac since then (about 2000 - 2001). Not exactly true; I missed Opcode Vision / Studio Vision but that company went out of business anyway (thanks to Gibson Company.)

I still think Macs are sexy and very good for music production, but for my uses Win 2000, and now Win XP are going to be rolling on my disks a long time.

YMMV.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:19 pm

obvioulsly a trick question, the answer is if you're using a computer you are not rocking at all :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 pm

A lot of great dialogue going on here.

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 pm

mojofunk wrote:
Radio Arcade wrote:Q for the guys who moved to PC or prefer it.

What's your reasons for this?

Cheers 8)
Well, I find that I can build powerful machines cheaply, and I know how to secure the OS so the dangers of networking have never been an issue for me. I find that for a variety of tasks I can achieve my goals in a manner of my own design, instead of being corralled into a single Apple sanctioned methodology. The Apple marketing and restrictive policies are a real turn off, also. ITunes and iPod can bite me (Rockbox FTW!). I like having lots of software to choose from! I really enjoy Linux for my desktop computer as well - if Live ran on it I'd definitely use it on stage. But my Windows machines run quite well, and have never crashed (well maybe in my early days, but they were easier to fix than the Apples that I was crashing - that was sheer hell [being able to fix Apples got me a few jobs, tho!]). I think that we need Open Source everything, but then I am a commie, so . . .

Capitalism leads to open source, not communism.... I would agree with just about all of your statements. I decided on mac for ableton live only. After running them side by side, the macbook runs Live, the pc doesnt very well at all. Instead of taking the time to make the pc run Live like the mac does. I opted for the plug and play, now i can spend that extra time making music....

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:50 pm

would love to know what stopped your pc from just running live the way your mac does?

TheMechanism

Post by TheMechanism » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:42 am

solitarypartygroover wrote:
TheMechanism wrote:Macs being overpriced is a complete myth.
Compare the hardware, build quality, and you will find that they are actually very good value for money. Not to mention OSX is cheap to buy and it has great integration with the computer hardware inside.
Well the integration thing may be true. But great hardware ? Are you saying that the i5 processor they put in their MacBook is somehow better than the i7 I got with my Dell ? Are you saying that their 4GB of RAM is somehow better than my 6GB ? And their 5,400 RPM hard disk is going to perform faster than my 7,200 RPM ? The only thing I can see from Apple's website that is better is that their batteries appear to last much, much longer.
Comparing computer specs is like comparing wattage in sound systems.

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:56 am

starving student wrote:would love to know what stopped your pc from just running live the way your mac does?
My point was, i would spend way to much time mucking with my pc to get it to "just work". I solved the problem by using macbook.

Maco

Post by Maco » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:59 am

PC Rulez once you know she can be a bitch or an angel, as long as you maintain your PC out of the www she is an angel otherwise be carefull.

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:03 am

Maco wrote:PC Rulez once you know she can be a bitch or an angel, as long as you maintain your PC out of the www she is an angel otherwise be carefull.
That's the problem. I'd rather spend my time making music than maintaining my machine. That is why I will never go back.