RME Presents “Babyface” USB Audio Interface

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
SubFunk

Re: RME Presents “Babyface” USB Audio Interface

Post by SubFunk » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Axel... I'm most curious if the Babyface will have the same dual-transfer firmware as the UC, where it detects if it's connected to a Mac or a PC, and loads one of 2 firmwares to take full advantage of the connected OS.
good point, i think this looks generally like a real interesting interface, and i want to know more... once it is being road tested.

and don't expect to much from german industry design (well, maybe they could have asked porsche or braun!), even most parts of our cars are done by foreign designers :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:21 pm

A very good thing is the simple-to-differentiate separate monitoring outs, between phones and line out, and the 1/4" in. The EQ built in is good, also. The small size and easy to adjust gain is good. Yeah, breakout cable is a neccessary evil and not all that bad.

RME has the top shelf reputation also, but unless it hits the same price point as the USB MOTU Ultralite, I don't see the size as an overwhelming advantage.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

x0b

Post by x0b » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Just ordered one of these, should arrive tomorrow...will let you know how i get on with it.

It suits me perfectly, I'm just a bedroom musician so don't need loads of inputs/outputs as standard, and the TotalFX software with the EQ means I can EQ the output that goes to my speakers so I won't be disturbing my housemates with basslines and rumbling late at night :)

Excited!

P.s. Anyone want to buy a Presonus Firebox??

edit - just realised the site I got it from didn't have it in stock, appears it hasn't been released yet! they could have made it clear before taking my payment! :oops:

B-S

Post by B-S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:35 pm

anyone compared Babyface to Fireface400 side by side?

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I think she's still in the womb.

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:07 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for, something USB, with headphones and ADAT on the box so that I never have to use the breakout cable (headphones on the go, ADAT at home)

However, $750! Street Price needs to be around $500 for me to actually take this thing seriously.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 pm

You pay more for RME because they typically have amazing low latency drivers, and about the best converters you'll find in a product sub $2000. German engineering comes at a premium ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:50 pm

leedsquietman wrote:You pay more for RME because they typically have amazing low latency drivers, and about the best converters you'll find in a product sub $2000. German engineering comes at a premium ...
Sure thats understandable, I just wish there were more (any) competitors with this feature set. Can't see paying for converters I'm not gonna use.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm a bit confused by this statement - how are you NOT going to use the converters - if your answer is because you are using ADAT then I understand, although unless you have some type of amazing ADAT box such as an Octopre, you won't get as good conversion from most ADAT boxes. And if you hook up monitors, the D/A conversion on the way out of the RME would also be primo ...

I agree with you though, at $799 it's maybe a couple of hundred dollars over what many people would pay for such a device.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:41 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I'm a bit confused by this statement - how are you NOT going to use the converters - if your answer is because you are using ADAT then I understand, although unless you have some type of amazing ADAT box such as an Octopre, you won't get as good conversion from most ADAT boxes. And if you hook up monitors, the D/A conversion on the way out of the RME would also be primo ...

I agree with you though, at $799 it's maybe a couple of hundred dollars over what many people would pay for such a device.
No my conversion is not better than RME's but I don't much care about that sort of thing. I'm looking for something like the Baby Face so I can use headphones on the go, and ADAT at home to connect with my other interface.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:24 pm

For a minute I thought I'd found a replacement for my Emu 1616m. Compact, bus powered, ADAT i/o, but srsly, €600?
+1

This is a seriously shit load of cash for this 8O 8O
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 pm

RME are worth the cash, they are the pinnacle of audio products, buy one and never replace it kind of quality. I find it odd when i am using someone else's system and i cant get the latency down to 1.5ms without hiccups. I just take that kind of low latency for granted now,

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Fireface 400 hijack question, if no one minds:

First off, DROOL!

Secondly, 2 questions:
1 - How do you visually monitor clip levels on inputs 5/6, 7/8 ? Is there some plugin meter window ( I fear this could be a deal breaker if there is none).
2 - Confused about this PCI-card business. I want lowest latency possible. There are no obvious cards being sold for this model. Is Firewire the best way to go? The UC seems to get good reviews, but I have too much going on with USB on my Macbook Pro.
Life is Good

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:12 pm

but ofcourse...

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Cool. 8)

For the Fireface400, do people use the PCI on Macs, or the FW400 jack?

God, it looks like I will be joining the elite RME club.
Life is Good