Figured out the situation: Learn what you have!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Taylor Barclay

Figured out the situation: Learn what you have!

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 am

Lesson learned: Learn what you have in your arsenal before buying or selling other software/hardware no matter how daunting it may be!
Last edited by Taylor Barclay on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rabalder

Re: Selling some software, looking for opinions.

Post by Rabalder » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 am

Taylor Barclay wrote:Ableton Suite and Absynth 5: Covering most synthesis possibilities? :)
Depends on what kind of electronic music your making I guess.. Ableton Suite alone can do most things you will ever need(in most cases). If you need exceptionally wicked basslines, absynth is a great. Massive is also highly thought of.. But again, it depends on the music..

Personally I use ableton for 95% of all my sounds. The rest is vst´s for special use that Ive picked up along the way.

When you know that you want, you dont really need alot of stuff.. The problem is knowing what you want and need.. 8)

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:35 am

Of course, depends on the kind of music you make, but I wouldn't sell Komplete. Even without the synths it has a really good collection of basic sounds that you can use for music and manipulate. I don't really think Ableton Suite delivers that well.

However, I'm not a pro on synths so if you only need them, maybe someone else knows better regarding to Komplete vs Ableton synths. But even there I think Komplete synths sound better. Although Absynth is the most interesting of them, I wouldn't get rid of the others either.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I have to say, I must eat my words in this thread. I'm at an indecisive point.

I decided to take Komplete 6 off sale until I figure this out.

Right now I'm on a MacBook with a 250 GB hard drive. I'm worried about hard drive space and computing power while using the Native Instruments plugins. I see that Komplete 7 is coming out soon also, which would do two things: 1. Drive down the price of reselling Komplete 6 and 2. Give a wealth of new features to the software that is already daunting to me as it is.

Ableton Suite appears, to me at least, to be a more capable learning tool. By more capable I don't necessarily mean more capable of creating a 37 second long evolving ambient pad, but more capable of learning by using them. I feel almost as if I'm in over my head with the Native Instruments plugins, but when looking at Suite I think I could learn how to program by using them, then push those to the limit.

I know they are both very capable of creating sound, but I still need to learn how to create sound. Does that help you see my situation better?

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 pm

I updated my last post, just a heads up.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 pm

I really don't judge a plugin based on its built in presets. Using sounds other people made is not a crime by any stretch, I just want to build my own. From what I've seen Ableton Suite is flexible in this regard too because you can do Instrument Racks. Which is awesome.

I have used Sylenth1 before, it's presets are top notch and it is a great instrument.

I want everything to be integrated into a comprehensive pack for my setup. Have one thing to launch up and be able to load anything I want, matching Ableton's workflow and stability. It sounds as if I'm walking the path to Suite.. but I could still use opinions.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:07 pm

why would you sell Komplete 6 now when Komplete 7 looks so incredible. BTW... Reaktor 5.5 can do anything you want it to including but not limited to cleaning your room, scrubbing your shower, doing your laundry, and jerking you off to some of the best dubstep basslines you've ever heard.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Taylor Barclay wrote:I want everything to be integrated into a comprehensive pack for my setup.
You should check out Kore 2 if you haven't already
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... er/kore-2/

NI will probably do a winter sale and discount the price of upgrading to K7 by anything up to 50%...so you should have come to grips with your tools by then. Or just upgrade as soon as it's released :twisted:
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:22 pm

I feel like it is overkill.

Ableton Suite is more open to what I am looking to do, and that is learning. At this point I think learning how to make sounds from the ground up and stacking them in racks is where I want to be. Sure 100 GB of sound is "amazing", but so is the amount of laziness in not learning how to use what you have to begin with. I'm not too enthusiastic about jumping on the new update, forking 40 GB of space over for a good $200+ for the upgrade? I just spent $500! Plus, I have a $200 NI coupon that is unusable that I got with Audio Kontrol as long as I have Komplete. Once I sell it I can pick Abysynth, Massive, FM8, or Guitar Rig Pro if I so choose.

I want an integrated package, and the Ableton Suite is just that. Plus the stability.

Feel free to visit my auction for Komplete though, make an offer I'm pretty flexible at the moment :)

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 pm

I use Suite 8 and Komplete 6... you can go to Suite and it might be easier on your learning curve if you aren't exactly that knowledgable of synthesizers.... BUT!!! (I take it you haven't used FM8 enough)

take this into consideration... I didn't like Suite's intruments because they weren't visually appealing and using them just wasn't as "fun" as NI stuff... went back after learning Komplete 6 for a while and realized they are all great devices and I should have learned on them... but it's too late now. i'm spoiled and hit too many walls! There's so much I can't do with the suite instruments... before you abandon it think about the future

If komplete is too much for you to learn, stick with it... you will be happy later when you have all the immense programming capabilities... Suite's drum rack could substitute battery (debatable), and sampler w/ some effects can MAYBE subtitute Kontakt (mainly for cpu reasons)... but the others can do so much more... I love operator, it's an awesome FM synth, but there is NO WAY it beats FM8. Also another reason to have Massive, is all of its crazy waveforms.

It might be easier to learn, but if you've gotten used to NI stuff, you will hit so many walls... komplete 7 is coming out, and maybe you'll want that, but most of it is just new sounds and preset instruments (which I don't use for anything other than exploring a synth's possibilities that i hadn't thought of)... i think Reason 5 is the one making drastic improvements
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 pm

I think you solved your issue... disregard my post lol
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Taylor Barclay wrote:I feel like it is overkill.

Ableton Suite is more open to what I am looking to do, and that is learning. At this point I think learning how to make sounds from the ground up and stacking them in racks is where I want to be. Sure 100 GB of sound is "amazing", but so is the amount of laziness in not learning how to use what you have to begin with. I'm not too enthusiastic about jumping on the new update, forking 40 GB of space over for a good $200+ for the upgrade? I just spent $500! Plus, I have a $200 NI coupon that is unusable that I got with Audio Kontrol as long as I have Komplete. Once I sell it I can pick Abysynth, Massive, FM8, or Guitar Rig Pro if I so choose.

I want an integrated package, and the Ableton Suite is just that. Plus the stability.

Feel free to visit my auction for Komplete though, make an offer I'm pretty flexible at the moment :)
sorry i thought you were looking for opinions :lol:

I shan't be making any offers - I ordered Komplete 7 for 285 including delivery :P

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Isturite- wrote:I use Suite 8 and Komplete 6... you can go to Suite and it might be easier on your learning curve if you aren't exactly that knowledgable of synthesizers.... BUT!!! (I take it you haven't used FM8 enough)

take this into consideration... I didn't like Suite's intruments because they weren't visually appealing and using them just wasn't as "fun" as NI stuff... went back after learning Komplete 6 for a while and realized they are all great devices and I should have learned on them... but it's too late now. i'm spoiled and hit too many walls! There's so much I can't do with the suite instruments... before you abandon it think about the future

If komplete is too much for you to learn, stick with it... you will be happy later when you have all the immense programming capabilities... Suite's drum rack could substitute battery (debatable), and sampler w/ some effects can MAYBE subtitute Kontakt (mainly for cpu reasons)... but the others can do so much more... I love operator, it's an awesome FM synth, but there is NO WAY it beats FM8. Also another reason to have Massive, is all of its crazy waveforms.

It might be easier to learn, but if you've gotten used to NI stuff, you will hit so many walls... komplete 7 is coming out, and maybe you'll want that, but most of it is just new sounds and preset instruments (which I don't use for anything other than exploring a synth's possibilities that i hadn't thought of)... i think Reason 5 is the one making drastic improvements
I definitely won't disregard this post, thanks for the in depth thoughts.

Komplete 7 is not something I would want at all, it is a lot of presets etc. that I don't want. Exactly how you see it.

That's just the problem I was having parts of Komplete, Battery and Kontakt were unimpressive. I didn't like the build of Battery or Kontakt and, it's probably me being impatient, but the loading times on my Mac were long. Things just weren't as snappy as I would have wished for. FM8, Massive, Absynth, and Reaktor were what I liked. Guitar Rig Pro went unused for me as well.

Reaktor is a powerhouse, and I have the option of picking FM8, Massive, or Absynth with my AK1 voucher. I also have the Massive Threat sound pack which I could use with Kore Player if I didn't grab Massive with my voucher.

The instrument I absolutely loved was Absynth. The spacial pads and atmospheres and overall construction environment of the matrix was awesome.

So my thought process was to get Ableton Suite and then get Absynth with it. Anything that can't be programmed with the Suite instruments or built into an Instrument Rack to get the sounds could be made with Absynth.

Ableton Suite + Absynth + LSDJ = most of the sound possibilities I could imagine. Unless you can imagine something I would be missing?

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 pm

dum wrote:
Taylor Barclay wrote:I feel like it is overkill.

sorry i thought you were looking for opinions :lol:

I shan't be making any offers - I ordered Komplete 7 for 285 including delivery :P
I am, and I forgot to thank you for your input. Pretty rude of me, sorry about that. I'm taking it all into account.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:40 pm

:lol:

No worries.

Good luck