What is ur favorite LIVE DJ SET TEMPLATE???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Setherian

What is ur favorite LIVE DJ SET TEMPLATE???

Post by Setherian » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Im starting to like using Live for my dj sets, but Im using it in such an unorganized way and I'm a bit out of ideas at the moment and deeply curious about how other people do it.
Could some of you guys share some ideas about a good organized dj template? Like using ways to separate clips by bpm or genre or both or perhaps keys or colours or what?
Please share some of ur favoritye ideas for a proper dj set template with me!
let me say that my dj set is very open minded, it goes from 70 to 180 bpm (from slow downtempo to Aphex Twin kinda stuff) so yeah, so many possibilities, totally lost here!!!

.Seth

Rave

Re: What is ur favorite LIVE DJ SET TEMPLATE???

Post by Rave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 pm

I go by genre and mood. Channels are used as individual rekkid boxes. I leave the first few channels to drag and drop the tracks and play.

But I have since moved to traktor scratch

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I could possibly post a template w/o samples and such, with a brief explanation - coming from a non-DJ, might be helpful

robfoster

Post by robfoster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Setherian wrote:Im starting to like using Live for my dj sets, but Im using it in such an unorganized way and I'm a bit out of ideas at the moment and deeply curious about how other people do it.
Could some of you guys share some ideas about a good organized dj template? Like using ways to separate clips by bpm or genre or both or perhaps keys or colours or what?
Please share some of ur favoritye ideas for a proper dj set template with me!
let me say that my dj set is very open minded, it goes from 70 to 180 bpm (from slow downtempo to Aphex Twin kinda stuff) so yeah, so many possibilities, totally lost here!!!

.Seth
Check out tom cosms website

http://www.cosm.co.nz/
Lion 10.7.2
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz
Ableton live 8.26
Logic pro 9.15

My Website

Post by 4.33 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:56 pm

outershpongolia wrote:I could possibly post a template w/o samples and such, with a brief explanation - coming from a non-DJ, might be helpful
go for it - it's always interesting

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:15 pm

I would strongly recommend investing in 'Mixed in Key', I think its about £30 but really helps organise tracks by BPM and key for good harmonic mixing...Then I have made my own Camelot colour coding using Ableton colours then in the Clip Title i have all tracks in the format '3A - it's raining men - 128' - '5A - i'm forever blowing bubbles - 118'. etc etc.. and a different colour for each of the 12 major and minor keys,,1A-12A 1B-12B..

Then i will add blank clips in the Clip area in the session view and use them as little sub heading so i have sections with different genres/styles or different levels of progression and so each section is labelled......

Its not perhaps the best organisig system but once you started getting organised by BPM and Key, it opens up doors and gets you in the 'organised' mode and is certainly a good starting block...

My 2 cents..

Setherian

Post by Setherian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm

thanks guys,t wasreally helpfll
let me also ask u this, what is the preferred warp mode for u guys in the dj set template? I used to use beat 1/32 in Live 7, once in a while complex even thou it sem t makes the transients of percs to feel softer in the ears, now in Live 8 it seams no option I choose give me a truthfull sound, basically my tracks sound "granulated" with all options .. I man if u play minimal techno it might not be a problem, but wnu play woky beats, experimental hip hop and stuff , the distorting/granulating sound that the transient loop modes provide gets very annoyng.. anyway, whats ur favorite warp set up for ur tracks?

Seth

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi simon,

off topic...I clicked on your website link and really enjoyed listening to your songs!

JAMM