Electronic Producers Being Pirated...Good or Bad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tripandball

Electronic Producers Being Pirated...Good or Bad?

Post by tripandball » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 am

Yea...I got pirated...i'm sure some of you know all about this. Just wondering what people are thinking about electronic music and pirating.

http://djfrobot.blogspot.com/2010/07/el ... dgood.html

Peace!

FroBot

AceLuby

Re: Electronic Producers Being Pirated...Good or Bad?

Post by AceLuby » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:39 am

Arrrrrgggghhhhh! They pirate it because they want to throw awesome dance paaarrrrgggghhhhties!
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

flippo

Post by flippo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 am

I was stoked when I got pirated :lol:

I couldn't be fucked reading your blog though so don't really have anything else to add, apart from maybe the days of selling recorded music were a temporary blip in the cultural history radar.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 am

streaming only is no protection. There are ways around it (used to be simple for anyone to be able to download with a simple filename change, but even freeware like audacity can record streaming audio from your soundcard back to an audio file by routing the soundcard outputs back to the inputs).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

tripandball

Post by tripandball » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 am

Yea I know...I realize you can grab streaming audio...but, that def entails some real time work with my track...which makes it even more humbling that someone would go through that process. Im betting its a lot more common to find the files though.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:09 am

Good.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 am

Well, I believe there is more upside than downside especially for a new artist. I would elaborate further but i am typing on my iPod. Exposure = good.

raapie

Post by raapie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:04 am

good. if that not happens your music is not ever listened to.

I have always put all my stuff online. starting in 2001 when I was just doing things with Reason. and that got me a job as sound designer.

sharing is THE thing. content online can only use a freemium businessmodel.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 am

Its ok with me and my mates
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:24 am

meh. its free promotion man.
the same goes for software and everything else. its free promotion. the copyright industry always cries about lost customers and shit but truth be told: out of those 250k download, probably 100 of them would have bought the shit in the first place. heres the difference: those 250k pirates will play what they downloaded so other people will hear it. potential customers right there.

theyre not loosing anything from people downloading shit, they are gaining potential customers while getting free promotion. the people who buy music will continue to buy music. a friend of mine recently chipped his xbox 360, and is currently downloading every single game there is. the ones he likes he goes straight to the store and buys. since he can get a hold of all of them he is buying games he had no idea about. never tried a demo, never read about them in a magazine; he found them on his xbox tracker instead. that is the reality of these "pirates". they asked all these "evil" and "unethical" people who were frequenting Napster how they looked at, and spent money at music. turns out they spent more money on buying records and shit then other people. why?
they are interested in it.

the shit i listen to today i wouldnt have listened too, nor bought, if it werent for the fact that i found it via these channels. ive spent shit tons of money on both music and software and nearly everything is a direct result of downloading it first. funny thing is that alot of it i wouldnt even have known about if it werent for torrenttrackers and p2p blogs. ironic, isnt it?

tripandball

Post by tripandball » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Thats the cold hard truth!

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Willie Nelson said it right: Take care of the live show, and everything else will take care of itself.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Good. ftw.

LightFireSound

Post by LightFireSound » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Aslong as there not making money out of it, it's all gravy!

It would be good to get your songs remixed too, listening to a different take of your songs would be cool, especially if they sound better!

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:03 pm

mojofunk wrote:Willie Nelson said it right: Take care of the live show, and everything else will take care of itself.
Just listened to "Phases and Stages" yesterday. Now that's a good album. Downloaded it so I could listen at leisure. Now I will seek it out on vinyl. That's usually how I do things.