Is There Any way to use Ipad and Akai Lpd pad controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Is There Any way to use Ipad and Akai Lpd pad controller?

Post by starving student » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm selling an mpc 1000 today and it's giving me the fucking hives just thinking about it, is there any way to hook a Lpd/ipad up together, that kind of combo might make the nightmares I'm sure to have go away?

on second thought I'll prob still have nightmares but the question still stands can these two be made to work together?

Taylor Barclay

Re: Is There Any way to use Ipad and Akai Lpd pad controller?

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Do you want to link the iPad and the LPD25 together, as in running one cable to the other? I'm not sure, but I don't believe that is possible. Of course you could hook them both up to your computer as normal, it would just take two USB ports and some tweaking on your iPad depending on what you want to do with it.

But I probably didn't catch what you were saying.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 am

hi, I'm talking about the akai mini pad controller not the minikeyboard one, i guess it would be the same though, I'd like to be able to hook the Lpd up and bang out some beats on the ipad I know there are apps that allow you to sample slice and sequence beats on the ipad but what about hooking up the Lpd, I think that thing is usb powered too = more probs?

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:34 am

Alright. To my knowledge, there is no way to directly hook up the LPD25 (which is the mini drum controller you are talking about, the LPK25 is the mini keyboard) to the iPad.

But a quick google search turned up this page: http://www.iconnectivity.com/ and I also found this article http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/04/1 ... ssory-kit/

Basically it sounds as if you want to use your LPK25 to connect to *an interface here* and then to your iPad. Allowing your iPad to function in place of something like a laptop or desktop. I didn't look too hard so I'm sure it's possible. It certainly sounds feasible right? Maybe the camera accessory kit listed in the second article has that ability? Does anyone know?

EDIT: Also found this prototype image of the iConnectMIDI product from my first link up there:

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 am

thanks Taylor I'm all over those links

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:02 am

You're welcome. I couldn't seem to find anything that was available for use yet though in my searches, all prototypes and maybes. Post back with any developments you find. There is also the iPod/iPad resource thread here in this Music and Audio Production forum, I didn't completely do a run over of that just yet.

EDIT: Go here. Now :) http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142347

I know why I didn't see the part about the iPad stuff on that page; I didn't make it past the LiveControl part because I just had to install that last night haha. Be sure to check that forum it gives you Audio and MIDI options for your iPad. Excellent!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:14 am

er, you could just put beatmaker or nanostudio on the ipad. both of em have pad interfaces, although obviously without velocity/feel...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...