Help Me Sample

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
studiojl

Help Me Sample

Post by studiojl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:04 pm

I currently have Live Lite and found out it does not have "Sampler". Is there a way I can take a wave form and play it with my midi keyboard and have it adjust the speed of the sample so high and low pitch notes are the same speed? without buying sampler?

Are there any other freeware products that do this?
Thanks in advance.

IanG

Re: Help Me Sample

Post by IanG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Hey there,

Although I highly recommend upgrading this is possible, though somewhat limited, with Live Lite.

1. Copy your sample into an audio track, then duplicate the clip 5 times (there's a 6 Scene limit in Lite) with Control+D (PC) or Command+D (Mac).
2. Enter MIDI Map Mode (Ctrl + M on PCs, Command + M on Macs). Have your MIDI controller hooked up at this point.
3. Click the Clip Launch button (sideways triangle) of the first clip, then hit C on your keyboard. Now C is assigned to launch that first clip. For the second clip, hit D, and so on, in whatever order you like. Exit MIDI Map mode the same way you entered it. You should now be able to launch all 6 clips (which sound the same at this point) from your controller.
4. Now, you need to transpose each clip. Click each clip -- then at the bottom of the screen (left of the waveform) adjust the Transpose control up or down in semitones.

The only thing left to think about is quantizing the launch of these clips. At the top of the screen, left of the pencil, is the global quantization menu. If you want total independence with launching choose "None," or if you want it to be more in control select 1/2, 1/4, 1 bar, etc.

Hope this helps.

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 pm

IanG wrote:Hey there,

Although I highly recommend upgrading....
Purchasing Ableton was the smartest decision I ever made, learn what you can and will with lite, and when you have the $$$ upgrade. I started my musical journey with Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0 (Now owned by Sony)almost 10 years ago, later Reaper and Sonar, about 6 months ago finally tried out the Live LE that came with my Korg Nano controllers, I have NEVER looked back.

leinad

Post by leinad » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:57 pm

!STiTCH! wrote:
IanG wrote:Hey there,

Although I highly recommend upgrading....
Purchasing Ableton was the smartest decision I ever made, learn what you can and will with lite, and when you have the $$$ upgrade. I started my musical journey with Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0 (Now owned by Sony)almost 10 years ago, later Reaper and Sonar, about 6 months ago finally tried out the Live LE that came with my Korg Nano controllers, I have NEVER looked back.
I also recommend upgrading. For simple things the included "Simpler" will do just fine.
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:08 pm

'Simpler' rocks!

Simple but VERY effective!

Hd

studiojl

Post by studiojl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 am

IanG wrote: 2. Enter MIDI Map Mode (Ctrl + M on PCs, Command + M on Macs). Have your MIDI controller hooked up at this point.
3. Click the Clip Launch button (sideways triangle) of the first clip, then hit C on your keyboard. Now C is assigned to launch that first clip. For the second clip, hit D, and so on, in whatever order you like. Exit MIDI Map mode the same way you entered it. You should now be able to launch all 6 clips (which sound the same at this point) from your controller.
I enter edit midi map mode and things turn purple. I then hit the triangle and the C but I don't see any changes. when I exit midi map mode - no connection. I am using an Akai MPK 49 that plays the other stuff. What did I miss?

I fiddled with simpler a bit and got it to play different keys, but it was speeding and slowing the timing.

IanG

Post by IanG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:46 pm

The first place to troubleshoot is with the Preferences (Ctrl+,).

In the Preferences window go to the "MIDI/Sync" tab (3rd down from the top).

In the bottom half of this window find your MPK 49 as Input, then turn "On" the Track, Sync, and Remote switches.

Does that help?

studiojl

Post by studiojl » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:19 am

First off Thanks, you fixed it - the sync and remote were not on. However it appears this is just triggering transposed loops one at a time, and it looks like I'm limited to six keys?

I think you're probably going to tell me that I need Sampler to do what I want - which is basically to make my own instruments with my own wavs, correct? Can I do that with sampler?

IanG

Post by IanG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Well, you don't necessarily need Sampler. You can do a lot with Simpler too -- you can drag your own wavs into that and do crazy stuff. However, the limitation with Lite in terms of creating your own instruments is the ability to create Instrument Racks. And on top of that you only get a max of 8 instruments per project.

Check this out:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_8/com ... ive_lite_8

Before you buy Sampler, you might want to demo the full version of Live: http://www.ableton.com/demo-live. When you do so, drag an Instrument Rack to a MIDI channel, then fill the rack up with Simplers. Like this:

Then drag wavs onto the Simplers. But then you probably want to edit the Key Zones, so it plays like an instrument. Hit Key, then specify where you want each Simpler to sound:

(In the above example, C2 plays the first Simpler, D2 plays the second, and so on).

By the way, you can demo Suite as well, and use Samplers in the same way. There are definitely more sound manipulation possibilities with Sampler.