Live 8 still runs even when ending task on Win Vista/7

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
digimixa

Live 8 still runs even when ending task on Win Vista/7

Post by digimixa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 am

I've had this problem on Vista and also on Win7 but never on XP. When Live 8 crashes (all versions including the latest) the program is still shown to be running (in Task Manager) and uses the same amount of memory than before the crash. If I open a new instance of Live then audio is disabled as only one app can use the ASIO device. If I try to force the task to end (End Process, End Process Tree) then nothing happens, I've also tried using the Task Kill command via the command line and I've also installed Process Explorer, but again the Kill commands have no affect. Restarting the PC is the only way, or sometimes after about 5-10 minutes Live will finally quit but not all times.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

longjohns

Re: Live 8 still runs even when ending task on Win Vista/7

Post by longjohns » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:48 am

try unplugging any controllers.. especially usb

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:38 pm

longjohns wrote:try unplugging any controllers.. especially usb
Thanks, I'll give it a try next time Live crashes.

Frequency Storm Music

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 pm

No luck. I tried removing all devices including midi and usb. Looking at process explorer the culprit seems to be wdmaud.drv which is the only active Live thread using cpu cycles. Googling this file says that it's a windows audio driver... :(

Frequency Storm Music

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:02 am

i don't see why you should need a wdm driver running, if you are apparently using an asio capable sound card

?

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 am

longjohns wrote:i don't see why you should need a wdm driver running, if you are apparently using an asio capable sound card

?
Yes I'm using asio, I think the windows media driver is a part of windows system files and is used for direct x and other things, I doubt that it can be uninstalled. But I don't know why Live is using this driver as I have asio selected in the audio preferences...

Frequency Storm Music

ampman117

Post by ampman117 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:24 am

I think this has something to do with how long windows allows crashed tasks to run in background before really killing them (or something like that...). During windows 7 beta i noticed the same thing and did a search at the time and found some answers...but I have since forgotten all if it except that its some windows setting new on vista/7 that was not on XP (or the setting may have changed...see its been a while :? )

Anyway, its part of the OS behavior...might want to do a general google search for the issue of tasks continuing to run in the background for some time after crashing, as I dont think its related to Live.

I could be wrong, maybe its the audio driver...but when I had the issue it was just a setting in the OS preventing killing the application right after a crash.

Sorry thats all I can remember, hopefully it helps you find some useful info

Jrel

Post by Jrel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Yeah, this happens to me too. I have to wait about 5-6 minutes before the Live process dies. Windows XP had no problem fully killing Live when Live crashed.

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks, I now realise that it's a problem with windows rather than Live. I'll see if I can find anything online that may work.

Frequency Storm Music

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Live has just crashed a few times on me in Win7 but I remember the process still running in the background once and all I could do was restart. Other than that it's behaved well for me.
digimixa wrote:Thanks, I now realise that it's a problem with windows rather than Live. I'll see if I can find anything online that may work.