Holding / stretching a sample (or something..)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
marra

Holding / stretching a sample (or something..)

Post by marra » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 am

hey hey.. okay something that's been boggling me for quite some time now:

but how do producers hold / stretch a tiny sample for so long without it getting all choppy and stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_vFjZlf4s (1:12)

i know there's a velostretch rack for sampler by mr garyboozy, but is that the easiest way? to my knowledge, producers have been able to hold / stretch out samples like that way before the ableton era..

thanks!!

EDIT: typo
Last edited by marra on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

oddstep

Re: Holding / stretching a sample (or something..)

Post by oddstep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

the roughnecks have been timestretching since about 1991- so yeah its not ableton specific. The velo stretch patch that gboozey made is one way to do it in live. I generally use a saw lfo to modulate loop start position (with a really small loop)... so i can control and beat sync the duration of the sample. Live's audio clips are all about timestretching... if just holding the sample is where you're at you could probably put a back and forth loop somewhere in the middle of the siren and just hold it there.

marra

Post by marra » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Hey!
oddstep wrote:if just holding the sample is where you're at you could probably put a back and forth loop somewhere in the middle of the siren and just hold it there.
Do you think that's what's been done to this dub siren? Sounds a bit surgical. Like you have to make it into 3 audio channels then, the first where it's rising, the middle part where it's holding and the last where it's decaying? And then assemble the 3 parts in a MIDI track?

Found another example of that same dubsiren hold in http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147044.. It seems so unreal the way they made that tiny little sample so incredibly long and smooth..

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Another lush track.... listening again I don't think that this a held sustain loop on a siren sample (which is quite easy to set up on sampler... move loop brackets into middle of sample - change loop mode to back-forth (arrows pointing both ways)).

I think this is definitely timestretching - it sounds pretty smooth; which is hard to achieve with velo stretch/ lfo modulated loop start point time stretching ... but not impossible - it's a matter of getting the cross fades right.. but I would try using complex mode warping and hitting the double time button a couple of times. that usually gives sounds a satisfying metallic stressed sound.

marra

Post by marra » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 am

oddstep wrote:Another lush track.... listening again I don't think that this a held sustain loop on a siren sample (which is quite easy to set up on sampler... move loop brackets into middle of sample - change loop mode to back-forth (arrows pointing both ways)).

I think this is definitely timestretching - it sounds pretty smooth; which is hard to achieve with velo stretch/ lfo modulated loop start point time stretching ... but not impossible - it's a matter of getting the cross fades right.. but I would try using complex mode warping and hitting the double time button a couple of times. that usually gives sounds a satisfying metallic stressed sound.
Thanks man! Time for some fun

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 pm

marra wrote:
oddstep wrote:Another lush track.... listening again I don't think that this a held sustain loop on a siren sample (which is quite easy to set up on sampler... move loop brackets into middle of sample - change loop mode to back-forth (arrows pointing both ways)).

Thanks man! Time for some fun

The guys at the left and right are warp markers ???
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!