Oakenfold Rocks!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Martyn

Oakenfold Rocks!

Post by Martyn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Emissary

Re: Oakenfold Rocks!

Post by Emissary » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Zaniness aside, I have yet to personally experience a DJ rocking a crowd that large and every time I see a video of such events it seems a wee bit silly. I think this is largely a European thing, no? Because other than Tiesto I don't think I've seen advertisements for a DJ headlining arenas in the states. We still get the big names but they are usually headlining large club venues, not arenas.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:49 pm

all sorts of greatness here...watch the whole thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyuBs3WotI

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 pm

beats me wrote:Zaniness aside, I have yet to personally experience a DJ rocking a crowd that large and every time I see a video of such events it seems a wee bit silly. I think this is largely a European thing, no? Because other than Tiesto I don't think I've seen advertisements for a DJ headlining arenas in the states. We still get the big names but they are usually headlining large club venues, not arenas.
Yeah, an arena full of people dancing to a guy pushing buttons and waving his arms in the air is the European equivalent of NASCAR.
Unsound Designer

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:57 pm

the_antagonist wrote:check the middle and the end of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcpkRqz1zw
:lol: :lol:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:08 pm

stringtapper wrote:
beats me wrote:Zaniness aside, I have yet to personally experience a DJ rocking a crowd that large and every time I see a video of such events it seems a wee bit silly. I think this is largely a European thing, no? Because other than Tiesto I don't think I've seen advertisements for a DJ headlining arenas in the states. We still get the big names but they are usually headlining large club venues, not arenas.
Yeah, an arena full of people dancing to a guy pushing buttons and waving his arms in the air is the European equivalent of NASCAR.
This is an appropriate time for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:14 pm

this is real funny, but then to be real honest there is something about it that amazes me for real, i mean the fact is this guy is commercially successful with a whole lot of shit (and he never did at any point of time anything decent, IMO!) the point is, it's the people supporting it/them, wow!

i mean look at the amount of people and the cheering and all... same with PvD or tiesto and the whole lot, amazing.

it is less them doing that kind of talentless shite, but the amazing amount of people supporting them / lifting them there...

crazy and impressive plus scary.
*** Image GAFM ***

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

stringtapper wrote:
:)

It seems even sillier when it's an outdoor daytime gig. If it was indoors or night time they could at least throw on some kind of visuals that may make it worth the price of admission. But this type thing seems like paying a small fortune to the guy who puts AC/DC's Back in Black in the CD changer at rock shows while the real headlining act is being setup.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm

SubFunk wrote:this is real funny, but then to be real honest there is something about it that amazes me for real, i mean the fact is this guy is commercially successful with a whole lot of shit (and he never did at any point of time anything decent, IMO!) the point is, it's the people supporting it/them, wow!

i mean look at the amount of people and the cheering and all... same with PvD or tiesto and the whole lot, amazing.

it is less them doing that kind of talentless shite, but the amazing amount of people supporting them / lifting them there...

crazy and impressive plus scary.
Probably worth a whole new topic but I'm really wondering what in history allowed DJs to reach rock star status because DJs have been around far longer than the 90's.

I was having this conversation with my friend who has been into DJing and DJs for a long time and he argued their have been rock star DJs before the Digweeds and Tiestos of the world but really their hasn't been. I had to point out that he's been so into DJ culture that they are mostly only big to him and other DJs. I'm talking about DJs where you could walk up to anybody randomly on the street and even if they don't like the music they'd get instant name recognition.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:47 pm

beats me wrote: I'm really wondering what in history allowed DJs to reach rock star status

This
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:04 pm

^^^

he he he :lol: :lol: :lol:

well, probably true but even scarier... as to me those are just plain amplifiers... (if they contain pure / clean mdma, not all that other shit, thou...)
*** Image GAFM ***

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:00 pm

SubFunk wrote:^^^

he he he :lol: :lol: :lol:

well, probably true but even scarier... as to me those are just plain amplifiers... (if they contain pure / clean mdma, not all that other shit, thou...)
I think I may like trail mix e sometimes. I can't say I've ever had a really bad experience on whatever it is I take in that department but I know there are different trips depending on what they mix it with. I'm not a chemist or an expert on what different chemicals cause or amplify different effects. Shrug…guess I'm easy like that.

And I've learned to trust a handful of people when they say "only do one". Never base your dosage on your past weakest experience or there's a good chance you'll find yourself sitting in the corner wiping the sweat and invincible flies off your face.