Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!

Post by lolalola » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Ok, I'm looking for the simplest/safest way of triggering some wav files as backing tracks for on stage.
Here's what I'll be doing and using :

I have 7 audio wav files, these will be 7 backing beats that I'll be playing guitar over. I want to trigger each of these backing songs using the pads on my Akai LPD8 pad controller, and my laptop. What is the best way for me to do this?
I want to use these pads, so I can put a sticker on each pad, saying what each particular song is - save me messing up. Do I have all 7 songs on one track in Arrangement view? (I only want to be using Arrangement view by the way, it's the only part of Live I'm familiar with!) ....... Any ideas guys?

Cheers!

machstudio

Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!

Post by machstudio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:01 pm

The quick and safest way is actualy in session view, you could put each of your wav files into a clip slot and trigger each clip with your pad controller.

If you intend to use Live for live work it is worth the effort to master session view.

As for using arrangment view, not sure it can be done easily.

Mark

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:11 pm

machstudio wrote:The quick and safest way is actualy in session view, you could put each of your wav files into a clip slot and trigger each clip with your pad controller.

If you intend to use Live for live work it is worth the effort to master session view.

As for using arrangment view, not sure it can be done easily.

Mark

So what, like midi map each track to 'start' when I hit the pad?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:29 pm

lolalola wrote:Ok, I'm looking for the simplest/safest way of triggering some wav files as backing tracks for on stage.
Here's what I'll be doing and using :

I have 7 audio wav files, these will be 7 backing beats that I'll be playing guitar over. I want to trigger each of these backing songs using the pads on my Akai LPD8 pad controller, and my laptop. What is the best way for me to do this?
I want to use these pads, so I can put a sticker on each pad, saying what each particular song is - save me messing up. Do I have all 7 songs on one track in Arrangement view? (I only want to be using Arrangement view by the way, it's the only part of Live I'm familiar with!) ....... Any ideas guys?

Cheers!
If you dont want to use Session, put your tracks in arranger view, set markers hit midi learn and assign to your MPD pads

P.S. I use both solutions- session or arranger depending on job, each has its own advantages. Linear is better for or example for theater or dance theater performances. Session has more options, better for music performance

machstudio

Post by machstudio » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:38 pm

lolalola wrote:
Yep.
Drag your wav file into a clip slot.
Click the MIDI learn button,
Click the clips start button,then hit the pad you want to trigger it
Switch off the MIDI learn and your done.

Mark

monobeach

Post by monobeach » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

machstudio wrote:
lolalola wrote:
Yep.
Drag your wav file into a clip slot.
Click the MIDI learn button,
Click the clips start button,then hit the pad you want to trigger it
Switch off the MIDI learn and your done.

Mark
:idea: hey!, it's Ableton Live!

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm trying this all today, but running into problems already!
ok, am in Session view. I've hooked up my LPD8 ... dragged 8 songs into 8 separate clips, all within the one track. However, when I then click on "midi" (so all the assignable stuff turns blue/purple) and try to map this stuff, I get the error message below... Basically each pad is triggering the same clip :