LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
concept_control

Re: LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by concept_control » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Hey there,

I've encountered an issue with 8.1.5. upon using LiveControl successfully once, when I opened Live the next time it hung indefinitely at the "Creating a new live set" section of it's startup.

I trashed the preferences file, which has Live running, however now when I go to select LiveControl under the Midi page of the preferences, Ableton hangs again :( No Fun.

Any wise words? I'd very much like for this to run reliably, first time was excellent!

Cheers,
Joe

edit- Just to say I reinstalled 8.1.5 and LiveControl, and unfortunately the same thing occurs... dang.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:55 am

when in doubt, try following this step:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1142324

ST8

Post by ST8 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:52 am

concept_control wrote:Hey there,

I've encountered an issue with 8.1.5. upon using LiveControl successfully once, when I opened Live the next time it hung indefinitely at the "Creating a new live set" section of it's startup.

I trashed the preferences file, which has Live running, however now when I go to select LiveControl under the Midi page of the preferences, Ableton hangs again :( No Fun.

Any wise words? I'd very much like for this to run reliably, first time was excellent!

Cheers,
Joe

edit- Just to say I reinstalled 8.1.5 and LiveControl, and unfortunately the same thing occurs... dang.
switch to using ip addresses, this'll hopefully all be fixed up in the next release

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:48 am

Cheers guys, I'll give those suggestions a whirl in a mo.

Keep up the good work ST8!

ST8

Post by ST8 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Ok the new versions online:
mac http://bit.ly/aXfghW and win http://bit.ly/8YXqPK

added clip colours (as best i can)

and a new router that should make configuration signifiantly easier:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:51 pm

HOT ST8. Tnx.

While Touch-Able and midipad remain vapourware, you're out here MAKING IT FUCKING HAPPEN BABY!

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Tried it last night for the first, pretty damn cool. Although of course today I have questions. I followed the instructions and got it working for the most part, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use LiveControl 1 or 2 for the control surface in and out. It only says in the instructions to pick LiveControl as control surface. It did seem to work anyways though. From what I've read in the past I thought it would require an "ad hoc" network but I guess it just worked over my wifi network. But I suppose if I'm not at home, the thing to do would be make an ad hoc network? Can this work wirelessly as well?

I found some things weren't working all the time and I'm not sure if that's to do with the midi settings. At first the keys wouuldn't work and then they did, but I'm not sure I changed anything, and at that point the clips didn't work, and then they did again. So I'll have to look into it more and see if I have something set wrong. But what would be the ideal midi page settings? I set LiveControl 1 to be for drums and keys and the midi was on for track control for that the whole time.

cheers!
Professional Shark Jumper.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:11 pm

new version is great, cheers once again ST8. quick feature request: a 'shift' switch on the pad & key pages to change the velocity slider into a volume cc slider would be great.

also, i did notice that the + and - switches in the pad & key pages are the wrong way round.
at the moment, + drops an octave, - rises an octave.

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Just to say the new version's been bulletproof so far, much more reliable! Just got my Mac to run your app at logon, and whether I launch Live or TouchOsc first, it figures itself out.

I like the two sliders for moving about the grid matrix too, cunning work.

Oh and BTW, what do the little horizontal sliders above the channel faders do in Mixer mode? I've not twigged that yet... is it sends?

ST8

Post by ST8 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:20 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Tried it last night for the first, pretty damn cool. Although of course today I have questions. I followed the instructions and got it working for the most part, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use LiveControl 1 or 2 for the control surface in and out. It only says in the instructions to pick LiveControl as control surface. It did seem to work anyways though. From what I've read in the past I thought it would require an "ad hoc" network but I guess it just worked over my wifi network. But I suppose if I'm not at home, the thing to do would be make an ad hoc network? Can this work wirelessly as well?

I found some things weren't working all the time and I'm not sure if that's to do with the midi settings. At first the keys wouuldn't work and then they did, but I'm not sure I changed anything, and at that point the clips didn't work, and then they did again. So I'll have to look into it more and see if I have something set wrong. But what would be the ideal midi page settings? I set LiveControl 1 to be for drums and keys and the midi was on for track control for that the whole time.

cheers!
midi input/output ports should be left blank for the midi remote script bit. Just make sure you enable "Track" from the midi port selected in the LiveControl router. You should be able to use a router or ad hoc network. To use the drums/keys you might prefer the lower latency from an adhoc network :)
garyboozy wrote:new version is great, cheers once again ST8. quick feature request: a 'shift' switch on the pad & key pages to change the velocity slider into a volume cc slider would be great.

also, i did notice that the + and - switches in the pad & key pages are the wrong way round.
at the moment, + drops an octave, - rises an octave.
ahh bugger, ill check into that, easy fix any how :)
concept_control wrote:Just to say the new version's been bulletproof so far, much more reliable! Just got my Mac to run your app at logon, and whether I launch Live or TouchOsc first, it figures itself out.

I like the two sliders for moving about the grid matrix too, cunning work.

Oh and BTW, what do the little horizontal sliders above the channel faders do in Mixer mode? I've not twigged that yet... is it sends?
you mean on the launcher page above the volume control? they show you the clip playing position

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:17 pm

*** I submitted this at http://livecontrol.q3f.org/livecontrol/ as well: ***

ST8, this is awesome! I got out of bed to try this last night. I think I may have found a bug. In the Launcher page, if a track is unmuted from Ableton Live the iPhone/iPad isn't updated. In the Mixer page it gets updated, but not in the Launcher page.

Also, is there a way for me to change the default navigation buttons to move step by step without shift and to move by bank with the shift? This is more useful to me when using my Live set during a live performance.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:From what I've read in the past I thought it would require an "ad hoc" network but I guess it just worked over my wifi network. But I suppose if I'm not at home, the thing to do would be make an ad hoc network? Can this work wirelessly as well?
Yes. The ad-hoc network is just a wifi network you create directly between the computer and another device.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:04 pm

delicioso wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:From what I've read in the past I thought it would require an "ad hoc" network but I guess it just worked over my wifi network. But I suppose if I'm not at home, the thing to do would be make an ad hoc network? Can this work wirelessly as well?
Yes. The ad-hoc network is just a wifi network you create directly between the computer and another device.
Thanks dude. I'll check that out. Hopefully it remembers the ad hoc network. I read on here recently someone said they had to set it up every time they used LiveControl. Were they doing something wrong that I should watch out for?
Professional Shark Jumper.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:46 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Thanks dude. I'll check that out. Hopefully it remembers the ad hoc network.
I only know about doing it on OS X but yes it remembers it. So you can just choose Create Network... under Airport settings on the top menubar and it will display the name of the ad-hoc network you had created before so all you have to do is press enter.

gjt-de

Post by gjt-de » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Hello ST8,

thank you for this great app! :-) It works like a charm on my macBook and it's a lot of fun - just great!

Thanks again,
Cheers,
gjt