Can't record MIDI drums

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mac54

Can't record MIDI drums

Post by mac54 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:52 am

I'm still in the tutorial phase and tried to record a drum track using my computer keyboard.Every step of the tutorial worked. Picked Backbeat from Impulse, dragged it to a MIDI track, the track's name changed to Backbeat. The track Armed light was red, i selected a clip area by double clicking, pressed play on the clip, the A S D F G keys created drum sounds through my speakers but nothing was recorded or showed as marks on the scroll at the bottom of the board. The MIDI track In indicator top right flashes when a key is hit. The MIDI out does not?
Anyone have any ideas.

mode:masters

Re: Can't record MIDI drums

Post by mode:masters » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:23 am

When you create a clip manually you need to make sure that MIDI overdub is switched on, as you are technically wanting to overwrite an existing MIDI clip (even though it is empty). So make sure the OVR button is lit at the top of the screen.

Alternatively, instead of double-clicking to make a clip, press the little circle in the clip slot and that will start recording a new clip on the next bar and you can jam out your pattern and then press the clip play again to end recording and put the clip back into playback mode (it's at this point where you will need to enable overdub if you want to add more to the clip).

Hope this helps.

mac54

Post by mac54 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:01 am

mode:masters Thanks for the tip. I enabled the OVR and was off to the races. Wish the tutorial had mentioned that. Even the technical support guy I emailed didn't mention it.
I thought it was something not right with my preferences set up or my interface connections not matching up.I'm very happy it was so simple

0fps

Post by 0fps » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 am

When u want to write on a track be sure to have it armed and that the clip u are recording has a red play button.

The OVR button is ussually activated by default, so maybe that's why nor the manual and the support guy didn't mention about it.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer