I just F@£KED my Motu! Can this be fixed........

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Radio Arcade

I just F@£KED my Motu! Can this be fixed........

Post by Radio Arcade » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 pm

only had my ultralite hybrid for a few months and I noticed last night the lcd screen flicker a few times. After some googling it seems a common fault and someone suggested its just a lose connection. All you need to do is take out the 2 top screws and disconnect/connect the power going to it.

When taking out the first screw the driver pretty much eat the head of it now making it impossible to come out and now motu know it was 'tampered with' if I send it back....

It still works fine and hasnt flickered since but I aint holding my breathe.....

anyone recommend any screw removal tools bearing in mind the screws are like 2mm....

If i do have to send back id rather do it once I get a new screw in there if possible..

Thanks

Jon
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

Tohtruck

Re: I just F@£KED my Motu! Can this be fixed........

Post by Tohtruck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:06 am

Get it neutered.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:39 am

"That's how it was when I opened the box".

Now delete this thread.
I invented coffee

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:26 am

^ and if they call you out on this tell them you got it with an "open box discount" or something like that.

Radio Arcade

Post by Radio Arcade » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:27 am

outershpongolia wrote:^ and if they call you out on this tell them you got it with an "open box discount" or something like that.
ahhhhh, I actually bought it form ebay new but it was billed as x-demo!

anyone on know the warranty on them?
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

vicz

Post by vicz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:21 am

If you bought it from a UK based dealer they have to repair or replace it for you, no way for them to wriggle out. Your contract is with the dealer not MOTU so it is the dealers responsibility to fix/replace. They are obliged to do this for as long as it would be 'reasonable' to expect it to work, which is usually longer than the manufacturers warranty. It makes no difference if the goods are ex-demo, sold as seen, special offer, B-stock or whatever. This is all covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If you bought it from a private individual you effectively have no comeback but MOTU may be prepared to honour a warranty with whatever restrictions they choose to impose, its up to them.

You could drill out the screw with a Dremel or something similar, easy enough with a steady hand, use a hoover afterwards to suck out any crap that falls down the hole. Otherwise even working with a fine drill bit just using your hand will quite quickly get rid of the screw.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:41 am

I've had occasional success by putting a thick rubber band between the screw head and the screw driver - worth a try...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 am

get new screws from the shop...(??!!) 8O

0fps

Post by 0fps » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 am

Its out of guarantie anyway, so if u are in Europe try to contact Klemm Musik (based in Deutschland).
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:04 am

a small stripped screw can be removed with a paperclip and some superglue, bend the paperclip in half and double it over so its strong, then put a drop of superglue into the screw head and place the paperclip into the superglue, let it dry and use the paperclip as a handle for the screw.

its works best with thicker paperclips.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:56 am

8O wrote:I've had occasional success by putting a thick rubber band between the screw head and the screw driver - worth a try...
Great TIP !!!
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 am

http://homerepair.about.com/od/interior ... ractor.htm

You can find these at any hardware store. Not sure if they make 'em small enough, but it's worth a look.