Ok seriously, APC40 or Launchpad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heavensdaw

Re: Ok seriously, APC40 or Launchpad?

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:02 pm

blue frog beats wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
blue frog beats wrote:Ummmm do you really have to ask? APC40 without a doubt

the LP is basically a scaled down, shitty version of the APC40. Without Faders, Without control knobs, without the ability to be more than anything besides... u guessed it... a launchpad.

This isn't even a debate

APC40 shits on the LP
totally disagree. how much time have you spent using a Launch Pad?

both are amazing and have different roles.
I'll be honest, not much. My buddy has one and swears by it, but the only advantage i see in the LP is the fact that it is small, light, and usb powered. Other than that, you'd have a hard time convincing me its anywhere close to the tool that the apc 40 is
Not owning either.. But I've looked into both.. I've got other controllers that I could use in a modular system and go the Launchpad route.. The thing is you can't really judge the two side by side * or you can but only as a clip launch matrix,, and tbh I think the LP wins in that dept, but you must couple it with other controllers to get near the APC in terms of features and possibilities.. Working with the LP and other controllers does give more flexibility in working in other apps.. However I've decided to go APC. The reason is simple for me.. And that's because it's a dedicated Ableton controller, that's totally integrated into the software.. I feel it will help me in my workflow and consequently and most importantly the music. It may be bigger and bulkier than the LP, and need an extra plug and cable. But for me tbh that's zero problemo.. If there is a gig that I haven't room to set up an APC and a 15" laptop, then there probably wouldn't be place for a laptop, LP and another controller also.. Anyway one more thing in favor is the APC is a well built piece by a company who specialize in high quality hardware controllers.

Anyway imo your both right! :)

my 2 shackles

Hd

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:21 pm

gear reviews from people that don't even own them are useless.

I disagree that the LP is less integrated into Live. spend a few hours swapping between mixer and session mode, then you'll see.

it's pretty pointless for people that don't even own a device to give reviews. that and the people that post "I just got this out of the box and it's..." worthless reviews.

after spending months with these boxes it's annoying to read this stuff. people are excited so they're going to post, I understand that. this is what we do here, talk about our hobby.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 pm

I get yr point (ouch!)

I wasn't writing a REview here.. I clearly stated that it was all IMO.. jeez.. Tone your so... er 'touchy'

When/if I get to own both, and AFTER I've had experience with both I may write a review 8)

Hd

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm

old school user wrote:I can see a Launchpad for iPad in the future.

check this one: http://www.midipad.de/midipad/midipad_screenshots.html

the future looks bright, at least as far as wireless controllers for Live goes
Launchpad for iPad is already here, not in the future:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=140282

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:29 pm

heavensdaw wrote:I get yr point (ouch!)

I wasn't writing a REview here.. I clearly stated that it was all IMO.. jeez.. Tone your so... er 'touchy'

When/if I get to own both, and AFTER I've had experience with both I may write a review 8)

Hd
I comment that people that haven't used a piece of gear probably shouldn't review it. common sense really. I added that we talk gear here so it's only natural. you shared your thoughts as a new buyer, makes sense.

then you label me with a personal attack?? nice. :roll: ouch? not really, don't be so sensitive.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

I didn't write a REVIEW!!

Don't be so brusk.

Hd

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 pm

more personal attacks...

I wrote that "you shared your thoughts as a new buyer, makes sense."

wow.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

I think it's not fair compare this 2 controllers, just because it DEPENDS of the need of each user.

In my case, I already had an M-Audio XSession Pro for 3 years and used him to learn DJing with live, so I have a crossfader, knobs and some buttons, later I buy nanoKontrol, that's i LOVE and it's really cheap, using with remote script it's really usefull, have an nanoPad too.

In my case, I don't need the APC, just because I already have a lot of knobs, buttons and pads, BUT, with LP I feel my setup complete, now I can navigate and launch any clip on my session view without even touch the mouse!!!, user 2 mode with M4L ROCKS!!!!, trying now a lot of patches made for monome using the nonome and I can say that's a HUGE options now.

In conclusion, if I not had any controllers before, maybe consider an APC, but in my situation, the LP plus my controllers give me so much more...

And of course, all is USB POWERED :D :D :D

[]'s

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:12 pm

I guess this is the ongoing thread of which is better.. JMO after reading it all and watching the videos..

I too was daunted by which to buy and which is better. I recently picked up the LP and find it to be a great tool with Live.
I'm also using in tandem with an Akai MPK 61 and all seems OK. Of course I have a fair share of controls also mapped to my iMacs keyboard.

So with this said, I'm sure everyones setup varies in one way or another. What I have been noticing and to me is possibly the most important, that no one is mentioning the realestate for one, and the convienence of operating all within ONE device is the deal.
I absolutely hate Launching a clip with the LP and then reaching for the MPK to adjust a volume or fader, because turning a page on the LP and then having to go back and fourth, while aditionally hitting a shortcut or 2 or 3 on my computer keyboard.
This has to be for me the biggest deal breaker for having multiple boxes here and there for control. I'm working entirely in my home studio.

To make a long story a little shorter.. One box One controller and One place to reach for it all, is an invaluable thing in studio use.

I think the LP is a great little controller, but hands DOWN, no comparison to the APC and I don't own it as of yet.. but am seriously thinking about taking the plunge for this very reason.
Very new to Live and can see the advantage of the APC. The LP is great, but the less I have to think of what/where I'm reaching for my next move, the better.
I'm not saying which is or isn't better, I'm talking about total convenience! Just my take on the above scenario .. :wink:
Last edited by lyovino on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Apc40 and Launchpad are great controllers (I prefer Apc20 or icon iStage)

Some offtopic...

http://hangar.org/wikis/lab/doku.php?id=start:octint

we are talking about this here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=15

;)

0fps

Post by 0fps » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:39 pm

APC is more convinient for studio use cause of its faders and led lighted knobs. The sin i.m.o. for stage use is its size-weight if u compare it with Launchpad. But Launchpad is good for session view control, drum racks control and not such convinient as APC for mixer. I would choose APC for studio and LP for stage :D
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

biologik

Post by biologik » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:05 pm

i own an launchpad and my studio partner an apc. if you don't need the faders then go LP. if you do, then go APC.
Personally, I freakin' love the launchpad. I take it with me all the time now. The pros and cons of both have been beat back and forth a ton in this forum so I won't even say them.

If you're on the fence about the LP, check out this thread: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145979
I can't even being to tell you how much fun those kits are - and how easy it was to integrate it into a live pa. I'm sure something similar exists for the APC but I haven't searched.

buttonsgiffard

Post by buttonsgiffard » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 am

So, this thread should be closed because this is a totally pointless question at this point.

1. Different roles (assuming you started thinking about roles before they went on sale, otherwise, woodshed).
2. Different functions, requirements, max/msp patches who cares it all can do whatever...depending on your Ableton ability.
3. Everyone should stop worrying about it, thinking about it, and start looking at the technologies at 3m and other more independent companies, downloading xcode or VS(have fun), max/msp and learn to program at all/more/better/more betterer.
4. You are capable, you are innovative, you are the tesla, you are the future. Act like it.

Everyone argues about gear, because everyone is different. The cool thing about what you can do in ableton, is, if I can mash it all, you are abled by a fuckton.

Akai and novation (or digidesign, etc) hope every one of us is their bitch. Be better, work harder, make stuff. And some music along the way.