Battery 3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mja

Battery 3

Post by mja » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:08 pm

So who on here is using Battery 3 ?? Would you recommend it ?

I tried out the demo myself last night - however,the demo only last for 30 minutes,and they only give
you a couple of samples to mess about with,so it's kind of hard to gauge whether it's worth the money
or not.

BoxDJ

Re: Battery 3

Post by BoxDJ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm interested in Battery 3 as well because I'm trying to settle on a drum vst.

shameless bump
Last edited by BoxDJ on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

channelite

Post by channelite » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 pm

It has a pretty good library for $99. Though, all the new samples I come across, I make into drum rack kits.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am

channelite wrote:It has a pretty good library for $99. Though, all the new samples I come across, I make into drum rack kits.
+ 1.

It also has a pretty cool function that lets you randomize each cells location.
Can be cool for inspiration.
Having said that, you can do pretty much the same thing using live devices and a drum rack.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Frank003

Post by Frank003 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:41 am

Battery is Awesome! I've used it for years. In fact, it was my first VST purchase and I still use it.

I recently bought Komplete 6 and battery is included in the bundle. So now I have two copies of Battery 3. If anyone is interested in buying my second copy PM me. I accept Paypal.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:42 am

Battery 3 is pretty cool, I like the included FX, they're geared towards drum enhancement which is nice.
Drum racks and Battery 3 aren't really friends, although honestly I think Drum racks are cool, just it's really easy to start smacking the crap out of a CPU with drum racks. It's possible to set up a drum rack and Battery combo as a Rack for sure.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:42 am

The included samples are really nice, and I loved the humanize functions. That said, after 3 months of work on an album Battery suddenly borked it, and any Live or Logic project I had with Battery 3 in it was no longer able to be opened. NI support tried to help to their credit, but no one could figure out what the deal was, even though Battery was always the one triggering the crash logs. Too frustrating, so I ripped all the samples and sold it.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:51 am

I think the articulation stuff is interesting - rolls, buzzes, flam, etc

I use a combination of Drum Racks and Battery 3 for all my drum tracks, and a lot of times I find cool samples to trigger live so I rip those to a drum rack so I don't have to load up battery 3 in the live set

Tibo2004

Post by Tibo2004 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi,
I am a little hesitant to spend 170dol on Battery. not really about the money but more in losing time learning something new instead on focusing on drum racks.
I tried battery and i found it more user friendly than drum racks especially to add effects and "try new things" but shouldn't i try to spend more time learning drum racks? beats is my weak points.

Alternatively, is there good libraries of sample (electro) to buy to feed drum racks?

thanks
--------------

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Tibo2004 wrote:Hi,
I am a little hesitant to spend 170dol on Battery. not really about the money but more in losing time learning something new instead on focusing on drum racks.
I tried battery and i found it more user friendly than drum racks especially to add effects and "try new things" but shouldn't i try to spend more time learning drum racks? beats is my weak points.

Alternatively, is there good libraries of sample (electro) to buy to feed drum racks?

thanks
When I first started programming drums I hated it.. i always wanted to resort to just using loops and carrying on with what I was trying to work on..

Lately i've been taking loops and EQing everything out of them except for some top ends, then laying down kick and snare - it will end up sounding so much fuller than if I sat there and tried to program a nice groove for the hats or anything like that, it works out a lot more times than not.

try combinations of percussion loops and tapping out beats or drawing them in.. drum racks alone are good, but it's a very involved process to program a drum sequence just from one shots - it will take TIME, which you have, hopefully.

thoughtless

Post by thoughtless » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm

battery sounds great and the samples are excellent, but since i still can't automate 95% of its parameters (even with battery 3.1.1 and 8.1.5's configure mode) i use drum racks instead. that said, $99 is probably worth it for the sample libraries alone.

0fps

Post by 0fps » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 pm

As previous guys mentionned Battery has very good library. Really good samples.

But I think Drum Racks are much more easier to use, more convinient for live performance and much more capable of modulation and sound design process, specially if instead of Simpler u use Sampler!
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:55 pm

Get it for the samples and load'em up in Live's Drum Rack.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 pm

jasonjbundy wrote:Get it for the samples and load'em up in Live's Drum Rack.
This is probably the way to go, becasue you can always load up an instance of battery on another track if you wan't to use the articulation or other features for a few different elements or what not..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:10 pm

what I like in Battery that Drum-Racks lack..
is the ability to tweak many 'cells' at once..
very handy..