willing to go Mackie Control Universal but some questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Laura_Live

willing to go Mackie Control Universal but some questions

Post by Laura_Live » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:46 am

Hello,

I repeatedly mix files with 50+ tracks and I find mixing and navigating through them with mouse and keyboard more and more annoying..

Also, I would like to be able to close my eyes whilst mixing..

I researched and the Mackie Control Universal seemed like a good option..

Is it working well with Ableton ? Who can share experiences ?

I would like to mix existing arrangements with the Mackie..

How do I control the EQs, compressors and effects on each track ?

Do I have to assign each plugin's function individually per track before starting to mix ?

That would be a drag...

Thanks

Laura

qbas

Re: willing to go Mackie Control Universal but some questions

Post by qbas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi,
I have MCU PRO from 2 years, used with Ableton and SONAR.
Unfortunately Live has no possibility to customize how MCU is implemented.
For example you can see track names on upper row, and pan balance on lower row of LCD, but when you go to sends you lost track names, and see levels of all sends on selected track.
I rather prefer to see (option) levels of send 1 for all shown tracks simultaneously.
Similar is with devices (effects, instruments). On selected track you see all devices names but when you go to edit device, you lost contact with track names.
Generally you have no possibility to see track name on top row and n parameter value/name of n device on lower row LCD. If it could be possible then it could be possible to set for ex. freq of low cut for each track simultaneously.
You have no special access to eq if you didn’t put any eq on track (or returns or master).

On SONAR and LOGIC this kind of view was already implemented and I like it.
I think MCU could be used more flexibly, with more custom option. I don’t think it is worth to have it on table in such situation. Mine is in carton box and waiting for an buyer. About MCU PRO itself - it is a good design, very ergonomic, but a little heavy and not so small.
Since I like to have keyboard at front of me, there is problem because I need to place MCU on higher level, this is not so ergonomic. Visibility of LCD is great, motorfaders are good (not great), unfortunately poor implementation in Live is worst thing. Probably with M4L or Phython, LiveOSC etc I could make it more usable, but it is not only additional money (acceptable) but also it is time consuming, without any guaranty that everything will be working like expected.

I hope this my first post here will be seen not as complaint, because I understand that marketing strategies sometimes need to cut flexibility to promote own solutions. Its all acceptable. I just share my own experience with Live and MCU PRO.

In my view Ableton Live is great, even with this limitation

Best regards,
qbas

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm

that close your eyes thing ain't gonna work.. I've had the MCU for 6 years now and while it's better than using a mouse on some tasks, it's still far from perfect.. and there are many instances when it's just easier grabbing a mouse.. i think it's old technology and protocol.. your best bet is to hope Ableton will support Eucon protocol and get a euphonix control..

Laura_Live

Post by Laura_Live » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:33 pm

nuxnamon wrote:that close your eyes thing ain't gonna work.. I've had the MCU for 6 years now and while it's better than using a mouse on some tasks, it's still far from perfect.. and there are many instances when it's just easier grabbing a mouse.. i think it's old technology and protocol.. your best bet is to hope Ableton will support Eucon protocol and get a euphonix control..
Problem is I do not have a Mac, otherwise I would instantly go Euphonix

It is ridiculous that Euphonix Artist series products only support Macs.

There is NO technical reason for them to not release PC drivers, it would not even cost much money to develop drivers..

They must have an agreement with Apple with huge financial incentives.. it seems crazy that they are not supporting Pcs

It is just typical APPLE protectionism, like NO LOGIC FOR PCs.

God this company is a joke, PCs are so much more of a clever choice

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Laura_Live wrote:
There is NO technical reason for them to not release PC drivers, it would not even cost much money to develop drivers..

:lol: there is a good reason. PCs on the whole have too many variables to create good drivers. Pros have macs connected to pro equipment from apogee and euphonix because the drivers are much easier to build and fine tune.

The clever choice is Mac :mrgreen:

Btw I have an euphonic mixer. The faders are silky smooth and the OLED display is yummy.

Laura_Live

Post by Laura_Live » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Rave wrote:
Laura_Live wrote:

:lol: there is a good reason. PCs on the whole have too many variables to create good drivers. Pros have macs connected to pro equipment from apogee and euphonix because the drivers are much easier to build and fine tune.

You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Laura_Live wrote:
Rave wrote:
Laura_Live wrote:

You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

LOL you could be right but I still have a Euphonix mixer and you don't lol