LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hgt

Re: LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by hgt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

ST8 wrote:
hgt wrote:
hgt wrote:hi st8!

1 think missing: show/hide plugin window(alt+cmd+p) shortcut. how can i add a button for that?
best,
george

maybe i m too stupid and its very easy or allready there?
i'd really like to have this function in livecontrol.
cheers,
g.
not sure thats possible with the liveapi at the moment! sorry :(

:( , too bad but thanx for looking into it. i will try to find a workaround with router and osculator.
great work,
best,
george
gee hgt

hobbycore

Post by hobbycore » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Does anyone have the latest Mac install?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:42 pm

LiveControl

new versions online: mac http://bit.ly/aXfghW and win http://bit.ly/8YXqPK fixed installer bug + other small problems

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Just wanted to bring post something that I posted in the touchable thread, which I find is a common problem between the two apps.
I posted a couple problems I have with the set up here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=255

They might be issues that neither app has addressed or perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Here is my post:
("LiveControl" can be substituted for "touchable" in the text below)

"Just a couple things I find annoying about the set up:

-The first thing is that I'm finding that I can't use an ad hoc network, while still being able to change to using my wi-fi network to use the internet, because every time I do, it forgets the ad hoc network. It's way too annoying to have to set it up every time I want to use touchable if I've used the internet in between (which I do all the time). The Ad hoc network only seems to be remembered if I don't switch over to wifi at all. Is there a way to stop this? Because of this, I'm just using it over wifi, which really isn't bad, but a little flaky, so I'd like to see if there's any difference using ad hoc.

-The second thing is that I have to set the midi ports every time I open the touchable application. They do not stay on 'from touchable'. In my mind that should be the only option anyways, but it defaults to one of my other midi connections like automap midi or AU DLS synth. I wish it would remember that it's supposed to be connected to touchable."
Professional Shark Jumper.

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey, Quick report to say similar to the above-

I find the LiveControl application on my Mac defaults to physical MIDI devices if they're started up before LiveControl. For example, if I have my Motu running before the application loads, it'll default to using the Motu's MIDI I/O over LiveControl's... which is annoying! Apart from that, all good :)

DustinZahn

Post by DustinZahn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Having a little trouble with LiveControl myself.
I uploaded the template to my iPad and got it running smoothly with LiveControl router.

I downloaded the latest version of LC script yesterday and attempted to install it. The RAR file extracted everything to the root of my Ableton 8.1.x folder, so I extracted it to a randomly named folder, renamed to "LiveControl_TO" and then copied to "Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts"

LiveControl_TO script finally showed up in Ableton for a control surface. I selected it as it needed to be with no inputs/outputs selected, and also enabled the midi toggles for Midi Yoke. The good news is that the keys and drums section of the TouchOSC layout work great in Ableton. The bad news is that nothing else does. I can't get the handshake ring or any other incoming/outgoing data. Has anybody run into this before? The fact that it works ok with keys/drums leads me to believe that maybe it has to do with where I installed the script or installing it incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

naph

Post by naph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey Dustin, sorry i can't help on win cause my studio pc died weeks ago, and i'm working with this sweet app on a macbook.

had some troubles having it work constantly with the older versions, but i must say i'm really impressed how well the new max-based server is handling the comunication, it just simply plug n play, and it works 100% of the times.
i was so pleased using it i decided to support the work by donating

the only issue i'm having is that the "follow" switch under clip section doesn't actually follow anything.. is anyone having the same problem??
also, to have it working correctly in the selection of the clip, i actually have to retrigger the clip i want to edit on the launcher page, otherwise simply selecting it (by mouse or by just selecting the active track) is not enough to have it updated.
if i remember correctly, it was working well a few versions ago.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm

DustinZahn wrote:Having a little trouble with LiveControl myself.
I uploaded the template to my iPad and got it running smoothly with LiveControl router.

I downloaded the latest version of LC script yesterday and attempted to install it. The RAR file extracted everything to the root of my Ableton 8.1.x folder, so I extracted it to a randomly named folder, renamed to "LiveControl_TO" and then copied to "Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts"

LiveControl_TO script finally showed up in Ableton for a control surface. I selected it as it needed to be with no inputs/outputs selected, and also enabled the midi toggles for Midi Yoke. The good news is that the keys and drums section of the TouchOSC layout work great in Ableton. The bad news is that nothing else does. I can't get the handshake ring or any other incoming/outgoing data. Has anybody run into this before? The fact that it works ok with keys/drums leads me to believe that maybe it has to do with where I installed the script or installing it incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
RAR file? theres a jar file but no rar to my knowledge! You need to have java installed to launch the JAR installer which will then install the MIDI remote scripts the to the correct directory (not got round to providing an exe version of the jar yet). Unzipping the jar is not going to help you! I'm assuming you're on windows as java is installed by default on mac.

Install java, then go again with jar installer, then follow the instructions on livecontrol.q3f.org/livecontrol/installation
naph wrote:Hey Dustin, sorry i can't help on win cause my studio pc died weeks ago, and i'm working with this sweet app on a macbook.

had some troubles having it work constantly with the older versions, but i must say i'm really impressed how well the new max-based server is handling the comunication, it just simply plug n play, and it works 100% of the times.
i was so pleased using it i decided to support the work by donating

the only issue i'm having is that the "follow" switch under clip section doesn't actually follow anything.. is anyone having the same problem??
also, to have it working correctly in the selection of the clip, i actually have to retrigger the clip i want to edit on the launcher page, otherwise simply selecting it (by mouse or by just selecting the active track) is not enough to have it updated.
if i remember correctly, it was working well a few versions ago.
the follow button toggles whether the sequencer follows the currently selected clip or not. You're right about the bug in the selection though, its not the clip but the selected track thats the problem, move left a track then right. Something to do with not selecting a clip when livecontrol is launched.

naph

Post by naph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:47 pm

ST8 wrote: the follow button toggles whether the sequencer follows the currently selected clip or not. You're right about the bug in the selection though, its not the clip but the selected track thats the problem, move left a track then right. Something to do with not selecting a clip when livecontrol is launched.
uhm sorry but i'm getting confused now.. i would expect eg by having a combination of 1/16 and 2bar length (so a total of 2 "pages") to view touchosc constantly alternating between these 2 pages and redraw the clip accordingly, having the red dot always on screen.. is it not what it's supposed to do??

right now, regardless of the current follow status, i have to manually page between the two, so the red dot doesn't follow constantly the clip (given this example, i see the red dot running only half of the time)

ST8

Post by ST8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:49 pm

naph wrote:
ST8 wrote: the follow button toggles whether the sequencer follows the currently selected clip or not. You're right about the bug in the selection though, its not the clip but the selected track thats the problem, move left a track then right. Something to do with not selecting a clip when livecontrol is launched.
uhm sorry but i'm getting confused now.. i would expect eg by having a combination of 1/16 and 2bar length (so a total of 2 "pages") to view touchosc constantly alternating between these 2 pages and redraw the clip accordingly, having the red dot always on screen.. is it not what it's supposed to do??

right now, regardless of the current follow status, i have to manually page between the two, so the red dot doesn't follow constantly the clip (given this example, i see the red dot running only half of the time)
ahh no, im afraid thats not what follow does! its just to follow which clip is visible in the sequencer, it doesnt follow the position in the clip as you're expecting, sorry :( the only thing you can do is zoom out if you want to see all the clip at once :/

naph

Post by naph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm

ST8 wrote: ahh no, im afraid thats not what follow does! its just to follow which clip is visible in the sequencer, it doesnt follow the position in the clip as you're expecting, sorry :( the only thing you can do is zoom out if you want to see all the clip at once :/
the only pity is that zooming out you loose visualization of all the notes that falls in the middle of the quantization interval. you think it's possible to mark (maybe with a different color) the steps that contains some info that's not directly quantized with the current zoom factor? so you actually have a clue that there's something happening there and you will zoom to see what's about :)

moreover, what about to implement the follow behaviour the way i was thinking about? if it's doable, i think would be pretty useful to someone :)
Last edited by naph on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DustinZahn

Post by DustinZahn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Ah yeah, I meant JAR. I use WinRAR for packaged file types. I'll try giving the JAR a whirl with Java itself rather than WinRAR. Thanks for the tip!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 pm

naph wrote:
ST8 wrote: the only pity is that zooming out you loose visualization of all the clips that falls in the middle of the quantization interval. you think it's possible to mark (maybe with a different color) the steps that contains some info that's not directly quantized with the current zoom factor? so you actually have a clue that there's something happening there and you will zoom to see what's about :)
When you say clips do you mean notes? I find it a problem that notes don't show up in the sequencer at different zoom levels than were input...
Professional Shark Jumper.

naph

Post by naph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
naph wrote:
ST8 wrote: the only pity is that zooming out you loose visualization of all the clips that falls in the middle of the quantization interval. you think it's possible to mark (maybe with a different color) the steps that contains some info that's not directly quantized with the current zoom factor? so you actually have a clue that there's something happening there and you will zoom to see what's about :)
When you say clips do you mean notes? I find it a problem that notes don't show up in the sequencer at different zoom levels than were input...
indeed yes, i was meaning notes.. now i corrected :)

DustinZahn

Post by DustinZahn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 pm

ST8,

I was able to get it running in Ableton. Thank you. :)

The only problem now is that it sends all data to the iPad, but I can't send anything back from iPad to the computer. The keys/drum no longer seems to work either, so it must be a midi issue.